Tyres....again

Trigger

Tyres....again

Post by Trigger » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:19 pm

Can any of you advise please.

I need to decide on one set of tyres for the new Nomad - 80 percent Road, 15 percent track and 5 pct minor off road.

So i thought get 18" wheels with AD08s and then if I ever want to go off road get some 15" with Geolanders later.

Henry reckons All terrain tyres on the 18" will give better all round use. But wont they be rubbish/completely useless on track ?

Help please.

Trigger

PhillipM

Re: Tyres....again

Post by PhillipM » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:25 pm

They can be quite fun, you don't need masses of grip on track to have fun, unless you're actually racing, not likely to overheat A/T's too fast on track on a Nomad like you would with M/T's either.

Mind, if your main off road stuff is 5% and only farm tracks or gravel - you'll get down those no trouble with normal road tyres.

Trigger

Post by Trigger » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:20 am

So sounds like getting the AD08s would be better and get 15 inch wheels and off roads tyres as well when needed. I kind of want the playful slidie aspect but with grip when I want too...so hard when I haven’t got one yet !

russty_james

Post by russty_james » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:32 pm

I think your choice to start with the 18inch wheels is a good bet as it gives you most options i.e. you can fit either off road or road based tyres. With the 15inch wheels you can only get offroad/SUV bias tyres.

As to the tyre choice I guess it will ultimately come down to where you want to drive the Nomad and how you want it to feel whilst doing so.... If you want to still go fast around a track I would definitely go for the AD08's and which will also work well on the road. If you want to drive further off road go for the Geolanders.

I have the Geolanders A/T G015 on mine at the moment and I like the way they drive on the road. They're fairly predictable and seem to squish a fair bit when loaded in the corners before then squealing and then going sideways.... I still tracked mine a fair amount last year, I gave up on being the fastest on the corners and instead perfected going sideways and having fun. On the plus side the Geolanders are cheeper to replace and come with a decent tread depth to start with.

russty_james

Post by russty_james » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:44 pm

This might give you an idea of how slippery the Geolanders can be when pushed a bit harder..

PhillipM

Post by PhillipM » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:48 pm

Seems rather twitchy given it's on the A/T's!