I'm back ! But now what do I need ?

Trigger

I'm back ! But now what do I need ?

Post by Trigger » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:57 am

After 3 Atoms and a 6 year break I am rejoining the Ariel fold with a Nomad.

Just speccing the car - ordered ages ago so I hadnt really thought too much - but now I need to !

So I wanted the supercharger so trimming the spec slightly due cost. Basically going for Red Bars/Body as per the FoS car as really like it - was going to go Viper green but decided on Red.

Getting the 18 inch wheels with the mixed terrain tyres as a real compromise - will use mainly on road, poss a trackday or 2 and probably not off road properly for a bit - is this daft / sensible / best ?? I only want to get 1 set of wheel right now so.....

Otherwise spec is pretty usual - having had 3 Atoms I am pretty sure what I like and what I dont.

But any real essentials that I should make sure of ?

Trigger

nico

Re: I'm back ! But now what do I need ?

Post by nico » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:03 am

Trigger wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:57 am After 3 Atoms and a 6 year break I am rejoining the Ariel fold with a Nomad.

Just speccing the car - ordered ages ago so I hadnt really thought too much - but now I need to !

So I wanted the supercharger so trimming the spec slightly due cost. Basically going for Red Bars/Body as per the FoS car as really like it - was going to go Viper green but decided on Red.

Getting the 18 inch wheels with the mixed terrain tyres as a real compromise - will use mainly on road, poss a trackday or 2 and probably not off road properly for a bit - is this daft / sensible / best ?? I only want to get 1 set of wheel right now so.....

Otherwise spec is pretty usual - having had 3 Atoms I am pretty sure what I like and what I dont.

Trigger
@Trigger, how is it to drive with an Atom on snow ? Your profile pic makes me feel doubtful. Is that like an ice skating cabaret or what ?

Alex Brandon-Smith

Post by Alex Brandon-Smith » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:14 pm

Trigger wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:57 am After 3 Atoms and a 6 year break I am rejoining the Ariel fold with a Nomad.

Trigger
Nice work Trigger, hopefully Andrew/Andy/Hedge/Russ will be along shortly to help out with your options list choices!
310=325! That'll be the Presidential Remap kicking in... :vroom:

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:40 pm

Nice!

I need to make my decisions by end of March for a beginning of June delivery. Mine will be used mainly on the road too.

I'm still in 2 minds about the ambidextrous chassis. With it, it would make the car more attractive to Europe buyers should I sell it in years to come, but that would mean an extra bit of chassis on the passenger side which doesn't exactly look great - http://www.arielmotor.co.uk/assets/images/DSC_53352.jpg. One thought was to fashion some sort of 'glove box' inside the frame, but I'm now wondering if it is worth it...

I'm pretty sure that I'm going for the spare wheel carrier, but without the spare wheel. Instead, I'll add a motorbike case (https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00L7ZYKQ2) to give me a waterproof 'boot'.

Other than that, I'm thinking 15" wheels with road tyres; 4 x roof lights; 2 x LED whips; Alcon front and Sports rear brakes; standard suspension and probably a winch in case I breakdown on the A217 (???)

Colour wise, I'm currently thinking dark grey frame, black wheels and black engine cover and then 3 or 4 different coloured nose cones to keep the plod on their toes (assuming Henry can get the car registered as multi-colour of course!).

I'd also be keen to hear of any 'must have' options from other Nomad owners.

Exciting times...

russty_james

Post by russty_james » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:10 am

Here are my first thoughts,

18 inch wheels - These seem a great call if you're looking to track or road use the Nomad. I'm on the 15inch wheels and can only really fit offload/SUV bias tyres which is limiting, It was fun in the snow though!

Black pack - Get all the aluminium panels powder coated black, really gutted I removed this option!

Windscreen - Must have and make sure it's heated....

Hydraulic Handbrake - Most stupid option I picked but its fantastic for hill starts/holding in traffic and much easier to reach than the normal mechanical handbrake. Why have a crazy car without a crazy option?!?

Trigger

Post by Trigger » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:37 pm

Thanks Russ. Very helpful.

Black option - interesting - didnt even consider - £594 ! but would look good....

Wheels - yes chosen 18'' and with All terrain at present - imagine they will be drift mungus on track but maybe easier to get some track tyres.

Yes - heated windscreen an essential for me - no more head in the 90 mph wind !!

Hydraulic Handbrake - yeah wasnt going for that....then thought stupid car deserves a stupid option !! So box ticked. My sons were insistent too !

Thanks yr help - cant wait.

Trigger

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:30 pm

Since putting the deposit down 4 or 5 months ago, I have never considered the hydraulic handbrake. I just changed my mind!

Question on the black painted aluminium parts... I can see that they look good, but would they stay looking good after a year or so?

Maybe I've been brainwashed by this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62QiL-iJMWQ - but he makes a point. Would it stand the test of time after a few scratches and stone chips?

Would be interested to hear from any owners who did go for the black paint option and how it has weathered.

Cheers.

smokin

Post by smokin » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:56 pm

I don't have a Nomad but I do have an Atom with powdercoated alu parts inc. the passenger/clutch footrest. It's only the footrest that's subjected to any serious wear and some good hardwearing film has stopped that. I had expected to have to replace the film by now as I've done a few thou, many with my nephew onboard, however the film cleans up like new.

stupot

Post by stupot » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:48 pm

I have the black bulkheads on my Atom and would recommend it. Mine has done c24k miles and 6 years old but still looks like new and less maintenance than plain aluminium. I didn't get the tank done but wish I had although I have plans to sort that this spring when I drop the tank to change the fuel pump as the sender has stopped working.

I used some matt black wrap to the lower passenger side of the front bulkhead to protect from scratches when stuffing objects between it and the passenger full width footrest. I also put some on the outer extremes of the rear bulkhead on both sides to help protect from stone chips and stuffing items behind the seat. It's not a perfect match but not noticeable unless up close.

Hedge

Post by Hedge » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:38 am

Ohlins are a must have, Trigger. I'm getting em on mine O0

Cheers,
Hedge