Another NOMAD hits the road...

Rick

Re: Another NOMAD hits the road...

Post by Rick » Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:41 pm

PM sent

stormcloud

Post by stormcloud » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:16 pm

RU55 COS wrote: I think Ariel will maybe offer different seat options which are more track focussed/better fitting as mine currently seems huge...
Concur, the seats are very big, especially below the waist, will probably swap out if they offer something tighter.

Great to see another Nomad, and the charity / events part of ownership is the best bit IMO  :)

Kezzie

Post by Kezzie » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:34 pm

Here's a cheap heated seats option if you have a 12V socket and at £10 even if it doesn't work very well you'll have a comfy seat cushion.
http://www.lidl.co.uk/en/our-offers-2491.htm?action=showDetail&id=39463

Adrian
Attachments
277078_01_f.jpg

Alex Brandon-Smith

Post by Alex Brandon-Smith » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:13 pm

That's a ridiculous price! Not sure I'd trust anything electrical for a tenner! Fire extinguisher ready!

Obviously off to buy one now though...
310=325! That'll be the Presidential Remap kicking in... :vroom:

Kezzie

Post by Kezzie » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:17 pm

Alex BS wrote: Fire extinguisher ready!
and/or some Nomex underwear ;D

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:18 pm

Those sharp orange bits poking out look painful though...

Then again, I have friends who would enjoy such a seat...
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

Lord Studley

Post by Lord Studley » Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:41 pm

It could give you mild insight of what it's like to be on death row. :roflp:

Peter255

Post by Peter255 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:23 am

I'd be willing to bet that LIDL heated seat cover is NOT waterproof! A DIY electric chair! :o

But if it rains I guess you just pull over and disconnect the power.

And it is SILLY cheap.....

But it wouldn't fit onto the stock Atom bench seat as it clearly wraps around a normal car seat. It wouldn't stay in the "bucket" seat properly, and can't wrap around the bench. :(
Atom 4, Clio v6, & some other cars obviously.

nico

Post by nico » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:59 am

russty_james wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:39 pm I think Ariel will maybe offer different seat options which are more track focussed/better fitting as mine currently seems huge... The heated prototype was GRP or something similar.

Yup the car has Alcons (F&R) and both mechanical and hydraulic handbrakes. You will need the mechanical brake to pass an MOT and yes it is an extra + vat... ;-)
Hi Russ,
To pass the MOT, if I get you well, mechanical handbrake is mandatory. Therefore, are you talking about this handbrake option :
"Mechanical Handbrake system for rear Alcon 4 Pot Caliper brakes" priced at £714 on the option listing ?
If yes, why it is an option if it is mandatory for an MOT ? Does anyone purchased a Nomad yet to put in on a trailer for every single drive on the country side ? Having it road legal makes life easier and more enjoyable behind the handwheel of a nomad though ! It's only my quick thoughts anyway.

In case I also opt out for an hydraulic handbrake system it means I will have both fitted on car to make it road legal in the UK with due regards to that required MOT by the DVLA ? Am I correct ?
Thanks for sharing if you intend to.
Nick

phil4

Post by phil4 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:46 pm

nico wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:59 am If yes, why it is an option if it is mandatory for an MOT ?
I think it's hangover from Atom days. There are and will be a high proportion of Atoms which are normally only driven on track, and clearly the extra weight and complexity, coupled with cost is unwarranted.

I guess Ariel just offer the same flexibility with the Nomad, even if a larger percentage use them on the road.

I can't answer your question on the hydraulic handbrake, and no nothing about it.

autobackup

Post by autobackup » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:19 am

Nico

The 'to fit or not to fit' handbrake & MOT debate is a long standing one :

To my personal understanding a fitted handbrake is not required to pass an MOT BUT if a handbrake is actually fitted then it MUST perform within the stipulated MOT handbrake criteria.

The base legal requirement is for the car to have a dual braking system (dual hydraulic) - which all Ariel cars have fitted in common with mass production vehicles

I leave you to wade through the UK legislation which you can access by clicking the link below :

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1986 ... tents/made

However to get the issue fully clarified in regard to Ariel vehicles I would suggest that you give either Tom or Henry at the Ariel factory a ring and have a discussion about it!
Atom 3.5R (Cyprus)
Honda CRV 2.2 Ex Auto i-DTEC (Cyprus)
Suzuki Celerio 1.0 SZ4 (Cyprus)
Honda CRV Ex I-MMD eCVT Hybrid (UK)