Ariel Nomad Questions and answers

Andybee33

Re: Ariel Nomad Questions and answers

Post by Andybee33 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:39 pm

RU55 COS wrote:
Andybee33 wrote: 2 - There is a maddening high fast clacking noise at speed which is really distracting when you are overtaking.  Having pressed various things down I think it might be to do with how air moves through the big holes in the passenger seat.  I'll need to get it sorted though.
Hi Andy, Did you ever get to the bottom of this? I've just found mine has the same annoying noise... Mine seems to do it around 80mph with a passenger onboard. First time I've noticed it at the weekend so not sure what's changed.
Hi,  I've only been out in the Nomad one since last summer (last weekend) due to divorce and then winter.  It's still there.  I don't THINK it's the engine cover as the factory added some rubber damping to the edges of it and I've added further felt dampening tape.  However I need to just remove the engine cover and go for a spin to confirm this.  Will be next weekend now!

Given the 'hardness' of the noise, I still think it's airflow through the GRP passenger seat.  As such, if it's not the engine cover, I'm gonna take this out and see if that sorts it.

I'll report back once I've figured it out.

Cheers,

A

kelvin12382003

Post by kelvin12382003 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:11 pm

seems a bit quiet here :fence: :fence: :fence:

stormcloud

Post by stormcloud » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:45 pm

Answering the question nobody asked, I have finally had fitted my custom Nomad roof, this is a prototype and needs a minor tweak, but I'm a happy chappy with the outcome.  ;D
Attachments
2.jpg
1.jpg

Andrew300

Post by Andrew300 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:08 am

How does it hold down ,I can't see any straps
Ariel Nomad,Toyota GT86 and a T5 work horse ,oh and a 4x4 for winter

stormcloud

Post by stormcloud » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:03 pm

Very thin plastic rod though a canvas eye across the width of the roof enables the canvas to secure between frame and top of the windscreen. Front corner canvas wrap under frame and have stitched washer eyes that can then utilise the same bolts used for the screen. This then enables the front of the roof to be tight across its width.

Rear canvas wraps a thin strap around upright frame and back inside to a secure button popper, this enables the rear of the roof to be tight across its width.

The rear canvas has stitched elastic, this i need to have tweaked (probably just a strap to pull the rear canvas under the rear roof frame) and have real tension front to rear, the elastic is ok for now.

Only other alteration I'll be looking at is to integrate some stitching to wrap the roof frames from the inside, purely asthetic to make the roof more integrated.

HTH

Andrew300

Post by Andrew300 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:48 pm

Not to sure about the rear popper buttons ,do they hold okay at high speed and what sort of cost was it

stormcloud

Post by stormcloud » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:22 pm

Poppers are fine, let's just say that at rather high speed neither side popped, they are inside frame so i can see no reason for them to, everything is compact and tight to the frame.

£325 all in, think they may have just plucked that figure out of the air as they made a few prototypes before settling on this. I was happy with price and work, i personally think it something which would have Ariel's seal of approval, but i guess they can't see enough buyers.

I'll run it over the summer and on my service in September see what the factory make of it.

Andrew300

Post by Andrew300 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:17 pm

Quick update on this post : I had the 4000 mile service on the Nomad yesterday and I can't praise the factory other than absolutely brilliant. There after care service on updates and faults with it were top notch . Only one problem Rookie took me out in the demo with a supercharger, and like a kid in a sweet shop it's now due back in the spring to have one fitted

Peter255

Post by Peter255 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:49 pm

Andrew300 wrote: Quick update on this post : I had the 4000 mile service on the Nomad yesterday and I can't praise the factory other than absolutely brilliant. There after care service on updates and faults with it were top notch . Only one problem Rookie took me out in the demo with a supercharger, and like a kid in a sweet shop it's now due back in the spring to have one fitted
Told you so! :D
Atom 4, Clio v6, & some other cars obviously.

Andrew300

Post by Andrew300 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:10 pm

You did ! Damn Rookie always manages to sell you something new

Trigger

Post by Trigger » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:02 am

My Nomad order was going to be NA but after driving, (and having had 2 SC Atoms) I figured getting it charged was the only way !!!
Atom 4, Mclaren 720s, Audi Rs4, VW ID3.....

Peter255

Post by Peter255 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:12 pm

Trigger wrote: My Nomad order was going to be NA but after driving, (and having had 2 SC Atoms) I figured getting it charged was the only way !!!
IMO Yes!

Put it this way. If you had a s/c Atom previously, you wouldn't want to go to a NA Atom in future. It wouldn't feel fast enough. IMO the exact same logic applies to going from a s/c Atom to a NA nomad. Indeed due to the extra weight the s/c upgrade is even more necessary.
Atom 4, Clio v6, & some other cars obviously.

Trigger

Post by Trigger » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:05 pm

Its a very different driving experience though but the raw speed is a touch lacking if thats what you are used to. Its a bit like the first new Atom purchase - I just decided I wouldnt be happier knowing I could have had a faster one !!!!

Andrew300

Post by Andrew300 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:46 pm

Come on guys everybody has a budget for their toy "well I do " splitting it between the everyday runner for the wife and the Nomad.Changing to a Nomad on upgrade from a Atom was a lot more money so I could only have N/A .Nice thing about any Ariel you can add to it on improvements as you go on......

Trigger

Post by Trigger » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:29 am

Agreed - I am having to back off on some options to get the charger or else the cost would run away with itself !! My budget isnt moving tbh - just the charger replacing some luxury options !!