Ariel Nomad Questions and answers

Karl V

Re: Ariel Nomad Questions and answers

Post by Karl V » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:31 pm

PhillipM wrote: That pattern is very common for forest rally tyres - you'll be able to get road legal versions most places.
We run Fedima F4's in a similar pattern, although they might be too heavy/stiff for a Nomad - they're a race tyre with very stiff sidewalls.
OK. That looks interesting. Thanks...

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:41 pm

Sorry to bombard this thread, but I do have 2 other questions, more of a 'flirting with :police:' nature this time...

1) Neon whips. Very chavvy and a must have IMO. I know that orange seems the 'safest' colour (red light must not be seen from the front; white from the rear; blue and green are reserved for emergency services etc.). But... The light source should not be seen on a vehicle, just the 'glow'. I know they are fitted at the factory AFTER the car passes it's IVA test, so quite the grey area...

My question is: Has anyone out there had 'issues' with the neon whips and over excited law enforcers?

2) Changing the body panels. My Atom was a silver frame with yellow panels and registered on the V5 as silver/yellow. If I was to have 2 or 3 sets of different colour panels, I guess I would need to inform DVLA when the orange ones come off and the green ones go on? It seems that wrapping a car now needs DVLA to be informed, so clearly they don't subscribe to 'temporary colour changing' any longer.

My question is: Am I right in guessing that the colours on your Nomad V5 are also chassis / body panel colours? And does anyone else have experience of swapping body panel colours and building a first name basis relationship with the DVLA?

Again, sorry for all the questions.

Once I get my Nomad early next year, I'll be very happy to help answer anyone else's questions if I can...

911tom

Post by 911tom » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:42 am

I've been running different colour panels on mine for the last 12 months and no issue. I think a colour change will show on a HPI check so would be a shame to formally change the colour. My daily car is fully wrapped a different colour. I have been driving it for over two years with no issues at all.
Ariel Atom 4 350hp
Porsche 996 turbo for straight line speed
350BHP Astra van
Porsche cayenne to transport the family

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:49 am

I seem to recall the factory registering some new builds as multicoloured ..
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

GraemeW

Post by GraemeW » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:52 pm

yes mine was registered as multi coloured.  Very useful.  As soon as some used 3.5 panels pop up, i will buy them, so I can wrap and have some variety for my car.

stupot

Post by stupot » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:25 pm

Multicoloured is a good solution. Mine was registered as Silver / Green but I changed it to Silver / Black so I could switch between my green and orange panel sets. I figured there is more surface area to the black panels than the coloured ones.
Atom 2 160 (05-11) / Atom 3 245 (12-19 ) / Nomad 300 (22-)

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:18 pm

I like the multi-colour idea! I guess that way, I could replicate a VW Polo Harlequin - remember those???

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=VW+POLO+HARLEQUIN&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiVstbbo-bXAhUlIcAKHeMCCGMQ_AUICigB&biw=1920&bih=949

Thanks for the feedback yet again guys.

tyersm

Post by tyersm » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:18 am

meladdo wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:25 am I am not a Nomad owner But on a recent trip to the factory, I ft and Im not a small bloke, 6 ft 4 and ample body... ::)
But I fitted in nice! very nice place to be I have to say too!
you sound like you could be my body double! I also fitted in fine.
deposit going down next week!

meladdo

Post by meladdo » Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:34 am

Indeed the Nomad will accommodate the larger chap, but I will say it looked like a big ask from the outside, once articulated and then in situ it was very nice place to be, felt safe and secure, those seats are ace the wheel position is perfect for me and I could see myself having one along side my Atom, maybe if my bonds pay up the jackpot :vroom:

Have fun putting your deposit down and the choosing process of the spec, BE BOLD ON CHASSIS COLOUR !!