Scotland NC500 & other roads

Where driving is the aim of the game
GraemeW

Scotland NC500 & other roads

Post by GraemeW » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:19 am

I did this route in 2016, and was reminded again when Amazons Grand Tour did it in the last episode.

They are not exaggerating when they say it’s some of the best roads in the world right on our doorstep.

I want to do it again but this time in an Atom or Nomad. The best time to go is May. Less traffic (it’s now a victim of its own success ) and May is typically the lowest rainfall month.

However it’s too late for this May. All my favourite places to stay are fully booked. There’s not much accommodation en route. So how about a group of us do it in May 2020? A revised route covering the best bits of the NC500 (west coast), excluding the long east coast ride but including some other bits of Scotland south of Inverness. A week long trip.

We can book in the autumn of this year. I did promise a petrol head B&B owner in Ullapool that I would return with the Atom one day. In fact he wants a line up of Atoms and Nomads in front of his place.

dunny

Re: Scotland NC500 & other roads

Post by dunny » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:46 am

Good idea Graeme!
April,May,or September,October are the best months in Scotland for weather.Our Scottish Brethren don,t say a lot and for the life of me i cant find out how many Ariel owners there are up here with me!! Time to shine folks!
There are offshoots on the 500 ideally suited for Nomads as well.Should be on everybody's bucket list!
Let me know if i can help Graeme.
D.

GraemeW

Post by GraemeW » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:45 am

Thanks Andrew, yes we will confer in due course. Got to still organise the Euro trip for this year...

t_kelly94

Post by t_kelly94 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:47 am

I'm heading up in the last week of August/beginning of September to do a road trip in the Nomad. I'm not following all of the NC500 but from what i've seen and heard it should be an awesome trip. Will post some pics when i'm up there.

Hedge

Post by Hedge » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:21 pm

I did the NC500 in 2017.

If I had my time again I'd go up down the Western side & skip the northern/ eastern bits.

It is as epic as people say. I did it in May, chucked it down all week. Didn't make a jot of difference - & I was on a bike.

Cheers,
Hedge

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:17 pm

+1 for considering in the Autumn for a 2020 run...