Re: European trip - Sunday 25 August to Thursday 5 September 2019

Where driving is the aim of the game
GraemeW

Re: European trip - 24 August to 7 September 2019

Post by GraemeW » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:15 am

of course all dependent on Brexit impact........

rowmrob

Post by rowmrob » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:03 pm

Hi Graeme
I am interested in joining you for another European Atom Trip this year. I will ask if the others from last year Italian trip are going to join this year.
Are you going to start another whatsup for people going?
There are bits about last years trip I would change, drove too many hours on some days,no time to enjoy hotels and rest, have to make allowance for bad weather etc.
Best regards Dave D.
Attachments
Italy2018 124.jpg
Italy2018 124.jpg (1.94 MiB) Viewed 2725 times

GraemeW

Post by GraemeW » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:42 pm

Thats great Dave.
Closer to the time I will setup another WhatsApp when we have the definites.

WRT routes, yes we will limit the miles. I suspect the ones you referring to were the getting there runs, the extra passes you did with Roger, and the one day in the french alps? I think we will add in some extra optional rest days this time.

This trip will be largely different roads, although we may cover one or two of the same in Italy as last year, but going the other way.

dreamscape

Post by dreamscape » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:52 am

We had a blast in the Dolomites last year, hope to met up with you guys this year!
Attachments
IMG_2772-1.JPG
IMG_2772-1.JPG (3.84 MiB) Viewed 2708 times

GraemeW

Post by GraemeW » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:23 pm

Dreamscape. Thanks, it would be good to meet up with local Ariel owners as well. Im still looking at high level options, so haven't settled on specific routes yet, but if we did go through Germany, I was thinking of something like...

1. Stuttgart start (after visit to Porsche and maybe mercedes benz)
2. drive to Baden Baden then down route 500 through black forest down to Bodensee area
3. Bodensee to Konigsee area through Bavarian alps
4. Then into austria etc

I already have some good information and options for these areas, and Im talking to German friends, but do you have any recommendations for good Atom roads in these areas? :-)

Many thanks

Anon

Post by Anon » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:22 pm

GraemeW wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:53 am
Hi Simon, I haven't normally planned to do any track days on trips, mainly due to insurance limitations (on my policy), but it can be done. The Italian trip last year visited Mugello, but didn't drive on it, and drove on the Monaco circuit in its normal "street config" We did discuss visiting the Algarve circuit on the Portugal trip but most were reluctant given the distance from home if you had an accident on track.

I think the best way would be to incorporate a track day would be to add in one of these UK organised trips to European tracks like Spa and Nurburgring, then continue the tour either before or after. I have been thinking of incorporating a Nurburgring visit on any Scandinavian visit we may do.

In the meantime I will check Monza options
Thanks Graeme. Last year sounded cool. If I were to trek across europe then track visits would be the primary purpose personally so yes Monza would be an unbelievable experience.

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:13 am

It'll be the dates that make it or break it for me [mention]GraemeW[/mention].

Girl child starts big school the first week of September, so I'll need to keep a close eye on the route for potential joining / leaving points.

Twisty mountain roads sound fab!

dreamscape

Post by dreamscape » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:22 am

GraemeW wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:23 pm Dreamscape. Thanks, it would be good to meet up with local Ariel owners as well. Im still looking at high level options, so haven't settled on specific routes yet, but if we did go through Germany, I was thinking of something like...

1. Stuttgart start (after visit to Porsche and maybe mercedes benz)
2. drive to Baden Baden then down route 500 through black forest down to Bodensee area
3. Bodensee to Konigsee area through Bavarian alps
4. Then into austria etc

I already have some good information and options for these areas, and Im talking to German friends, but do you have any recommendations for good Atom roads in these areas? :-)

Many thanks
The points mentioned in Germany would certainly be worth seeing. Unfortunately, I have no experience in this region.
We started our Dolomite tour in Lofer Austria over the Grossglockner and the Staller Sattel in the direction of Cortina d'Ampezzo in Italy, where we found some interesting mountain roads and a great accommodation.
All in all it was a 2 day trip

GraemeW

Post by GraemeW » Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:17 pm

thanks dreamscape. Is the Staller Sattel a good driving road? I was wondering about that pass or the the one further south towards Cortina?

GraemeW

Post by GraemeW » Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:22 pm

Karl V wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:13 am It'll be the dates that make it or break it for me @GraemeW.

Girl child starts big school the first week of September, so I'll need to keep a close eye on the route for potential joining / leaving points.

Twisty mountain roads sound fab!
Hi Karl. Yes dates are tricky i didnt think we can accommodate everybody. Im trying to juggle to maximise numbers. One thing I thinking is if we do first 2 weeks September, then some can do the full 2 weeks, then a second group could meet us in Switzerland just for the second week. Looks like Rob and yourself could be in that group, but im waiting for some to get back to me about dates [mention]GraemeW[/mention]

GraemeW

Post by GraemeW » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:14 am

Hi all,
Just another update. Apologies for delay on getting the programme out for this. I blame Brexit uncertainty :(

Anyway, Ive been working on this on and off for the past few weeks, and have done multiple route permutations in my own MyRouteApp. Basically I now have to pin this down. I am having, as usual, to curb my enthusiasm to include too much, and remember Im in an Atom, as well as feed back from last years trip.

So I am essentially limiting it to an alpine trip in Switzerland with one or two crossings into northern Italy. The trip will still be between these two dates (as Rob can now make them), but I will reduce it so its not a full fortnight.

The time is taken over trade-offs between...

1. Suitable hotels with secure parking, with availability...
2....in locations at suitable distances from last, and interesting locations if possible.
3. Timing arrival correctly at certain passes/roads to minimise traffic
4. Maximising the amount of fun driving roads over "getting there" roads, as well as good scenic routes
5. Maximising the number of "must do's" in the selected area, based on my own knowledge or info from other car clubs, bikers forums etc

its more difficult and time consuming than it looks.

The trip will be 2 days getting there across France then all the best bits and passes in Alpine Switzerland. Still got a provisional stop in a city like Lucerne or Lausanne/Geneva, but those may be cut. then 2 days back across France. Probably 7 or 8 days in Switzerland. Apart from France, limiting each day to 150 miles or less to enjoy local stuff other than just good driving.

Will try to get the routes and hotel list out this week for those wishing to come along. Could I get a list of potential numbers of those interested. No need to commit now, but it helps finalise hotel options

Thanks

AlanP

Post by AlanP » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:36 am

This might ease the miles if Innsbruck was anywhere near.

A
Screenshot_20190603-113425_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20190603-113425_Samsung Internet.jpg (856.18 KiB) Viewed 2347 times

rowmrob

Post by rowmrob » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:29 pm

Sorry but cannot attend this year, thought no one was going so booked up other holiday arrangements. Will be going on next years trip.

Sir Nick

Post by Sir Nick » Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:07 pm

What's the revised dates?

GraemeW

Post by GraemeW » Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:15 pm

Propose departing Sunday 25 August, returning by weekend of 7/8 september. Exact date to be confirmed