Re: Euro Vote - Are you In or Out?

Entertainment and stuff that has nothing to do with the models themselves...
GraemeW

Post by GraemeW » Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:53 pm

[quote="Peter255"]
If we leave and it doesn't work out could we re-join? That's an interesting question. Do they want us in the EU or not? If so why block us re-joining in future? To punish previous mistakes? Would they offer us a worse deal? IMO Its always just a negotiation at the time depending on the economics of each party. If the EU is so great why not let people try to go it alone, and come back in future (as the door is always open). Surely we can be left to try something different. If the EU is worth the cost we will want to come back. Surely choice is fair and good for all.

Its all unknown. Who can possibly predict how we could benefit / suffer from leaving.

All I keep coming back to is how much it costs us each year, and how little we receive. That's the only thing we know for sure. Leaving will save us a LOT or money directly. I could costs us some money too, but no one knows how much. BUT that's NOT a reason to not change. Fear of the unknown is a classic issue that stifles change in so many environments.

Another way to look at it is we pay a LOT to be a member of the club, but we cannot even remember what it was like to be a non-member (let alone quantify cost against the benefit).

I vote to go. Spend the cash we save on the NHS, and better border controls. :tu:
[/quote]

Peter, see above.  We get more financially than we put in.  Otherwise why would anyone support us being in the EU.  You have to also count the value of the business that UK companies get from free unfettered access to the EU.  The question is, is this worth it for the negatives? 

I was living and working in Portugal when they joined the EU in the 80s. The transformation was amazing in terms of the number of Uk companies that turned up there, expanding their businesses, and therefore increased corporation tax paid to the UK govenrnment.

ross

Post by ross » Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:55 am

I imagine it's very hard to justify it either way on economics alone.

Personally I find it hard to believe that the country will have loads of spare cash to spend directly as a result of leaving the EU.

I think the question really comes down to whether you think the UK will be a better place to live being an independent country vs part of of a much larger club (in which we are one of the 'big hitters').

I wish the two sides would cut all the fear generating PR crap though - I think it really turns voters off.

Do the 'stay' side really have so little confidence in our country that they believe all their own fear generating PR?

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:24 pm

[quote="Ross McWilliam"]
I wish the two sides would cut all the fear generating PR crap though - I think it really turns voters off.
[/quote]

Completely agree.

But fear is what sells newspapers, and that fear works is what terrorists have taught governments.
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

ross

Post by ross » Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:38 pm

I think Cameron going round Europe getting various Euro prime ministers to 'warn' us about leaving like he's just done with Hollande is likely to backfire on him though.

I don't reckon your average Brit really likes being warned about anything by 'jonny foreigner' and is likely to vote to leave just to give them 'two fingers'.

Same with BMW sending letters to its employees - hearing stuff like that really pisses me off but I guess this kind of things is inevitable.

Simon

Post by Simon » Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:45 pm

Completely agree Ross,
The more I hear French ministers warning us of releasing floods of potential immigrants to enter Britain or other scare mongering just increases my resistance to staying in.

Less emotionally: I'm not clever enough to understand all the issues let alone to predict the likely outcomes of staying or leaving. To me this is one of those huge questions where making the right decision is impossible. So it will fall to the government to make our decision right.

Uh oh!

S.

autobackup

Post by autobackup » Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:26 pm

The links below has some apposite ideas about this subject

Some aspects make interesting reading!

http://openeurope.org.uk/intelligence/category/britain-and-the-eu/

http://openeurope.org.uk/

PC
Atom 3.5R (Cyprus)
Honda CRV 2.2 Ex Auto i-DTEC (Cyprus)