AA are having a bubble

Entertainment and stuff that has nothing to do with the models themselves...
Andrew300

AA are having a bubble

Post by Andrew300 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:39 pm

Just had my AA renewal and they want £286 for the year(familyof 4 membership with homestart).I had a look on their web site and the same membership is £211,so I'm paying an extra £75 for being with them for ten years,bollocks I am ! Anybody else had the same thing happen,oh and the RAC want £188 that's £98 cheaper  :rtfm:           
Ariel Nomad,Toyota GT86 and a T5 work horse ,oh and a 4x4 for winter

l33haw

Re: AA are having a bubble

Post by l33haw » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:56 pm

I'd just go with keeping the number of a good tow company in my wallet in case the worst happens. Only takes one year of not needing them and you're up!

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:28 am

[quote="l33haw"]
I'd just go with keeping the number of a good tow company in my wallet in case the worst happens. Only takes one year of not needing them and you're up!
[/quote]

I think that is true unless you have a breakdown on a motorway where you can end up in no small amount of financial pain.

l33haw

Post by l33haw » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:17 am

[quote="benyeats"]
[quote="l33haw"]
[/quote]

I think that is true unless you have a breakdown on a motorway where you can end up in no small amount of financial pain.
[/quote]

True. I guess like all non-compulsory insurance it's a gamble.

meladdo

Post by meladdo » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:22 pm

I have full RAC everything for 108 quid been with them for 15 years though....used them twice both on motorways and light just going almost had the car hit by an huge lorry .....I was safe under the bridge - behind 6ft of concrete while poor RAC man almost got killed. Cost tpo remove from Motorway without Cover would have been worth 3 years RAC - si its a no brainer for me.

The second time was in my 7 - Fuel pump relay feed come loose - at 70 ;) in the outside lane - that was no joke - again its a big noisy world sitting in a 7 on the hard shoulder of the M6.......Again RAC come within 20 mins and helped out......then followed me home for 33 miles behind me in  case it went all together......Priceless

Call the AA and tell em your going to the RAC - Call the RAC and tell em your with the AA and want to defect over for a price promise......Its a buyers market at the moment.

If you have been a big claimant though that will disadvantage you when you renew.........I only call them when I cant sort it myself.

:tu:

John

Post by John » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:31 pm

I always speak to them and manage to get a fairly big discount ! Just tell them you are leaving usually works for me !

AtomMadStew

Post by AtomMadStew » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:55 pm

Price per mile for recovery with the RAC is more than double that of the AA. I had a free rac policy which covered me 15 miles. I broke down 80 miles from home unable to fix a broken coil spring embedded in my tyre on my mpv. Rac wanted over £700 to take me home even though I was with them already. Phoned AA and I took out a new policy and paid the extra for mileage 7.5p per mile and saved over £350 opposed to RAC taking me home.

Steve

Post by Steve » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:48 am

Select the 'if you're thinking of leaving us' option on the phone, and if you haven't used them it'll come down by c.40-45%

PaulP

Post by PaulP » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:52 pm

I don't understand why the discussion seems to revolve around the AA and the RAC. Neither does that well in independent tests, whereas GEM consistently is rated really highly and is far cheaper. I can't comment personally, as when covered by them I've never had to call them out.

Meladdo, with my nanny hat on and my old  :police: hat on as well; never, ever sit in a car on the hard shoulder.

meladdo

Post by meladdo » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:52 pm

Meladdo, with my nanny hat on and my old  :police: hat on as well; never, ever sit in a car on the hard shoulder.
Thanks for the advise :tu: But rest assured I wouldn't offer myself in sacrifice to the sleepy truckers or other drivers with questionable attention to driving abilities on our nations motorway network - However it does take several seconds to get over a failed fuel pump on the M6 in rush hour and the 4 point harness's take a few seconds on top of that - those 10 - 15 seconds sitting in a 7 on the side of the motorway were enough for me thanks.

Point is I would always have some sort of recovery service card in my wallet - whatever you use - for me the RAC has been very good on the odd ocasion I have needed them they have been swift and excellent.

However I understand there maybe better options available.... :tu: