Anyone tried iRacing sim yet?

Entertainment and stuff that has nothing to do with the models themselves...
jon b

Re: Anyone tried iRacing sim yet?

Post by jon b » Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:46 am

A nice real life vs iRacing vid

Hedge

Post by Hedge » Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:43 pm

Sorry I might be being pedantic here but can't the steering wheel and hands move in motion?
Cheers, Hedge

jon b

Post by jon b » Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:34 am

Mr P
I think you may be referring to the sync between steering input and graphical steering wheel motion. Personally I always have the graphical steering wheel turned off. There prob is a way to sync. If  there is any other advice you require to get up and running - let me know :)

Hedge

Post by Hedge » Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:09 pm

[quote="Big Ape"]
There prob is a way to sync.
[/quote]
I'll give you a hand with your hand writing first winkle  ;D
Cheers,
Mr P

ross

Post by ross » Thu May 05, 2011 3:34 pm

One for Hedge here as I know he's into his simracing....

http://www.iracing.com/inracingnews/ira ... -analysis/

Clearly iRacing is doing something right if it's attracting interest from McLaren as they know a bit about this stuff.

PS.  keep your trousers on Hedge, but here's a pic of my latest iRacing rig at home:-

dp35

Post by dp35 » Thu May 05, 2011 11:21 pm

^^^
Awesome setup Ross!

I just signed up for iracing & got a G27 Logitech wheel/pedals. After reading how great it is, I'm a bit disappointed. Had I not read so much hype, I'd probably be thinking it's great. One thing I'm especially disappointed about is the "force feedback" steering. I thought this would vary it's resistance based on the car/conditions, such as getting light during understeer. But it does no such thing, it's the same at all times.

Despite my negative comments above, I am enjoying iracing so far, and look forward to doing more of it.

wisp

Post by wisp » Thu May 05, 2011 11:52 pm

Agreed. Awesome setup Ross!

Did you build it yourself?  ( :laugh: No, not you Atom)

What / who's is the pedal set?

Hedge

Post by Hedge » Fri May 06, 2011 7:11 am

Jesus H Christ, Ross! That looks mental, fact.
I actually quite like it (runs and hides in shame).
It looks frighteningly expensive dude, how many reasons, ballpark?

Cheers, Hedge

ross

Post by ross » Fri May 06, 2011 7:57 am

[quote="dp35"]
^^^
Awesome setup Ross!

I just signed up for iracing & got a G27 Logitech wheel/pedals. After reading how great it is, I'm a bit disappointed. Had I not read so much hype, I'd probably be thinking it's great. One thing I'm especially disappointed about is the "force feedback" steering. I thought this would vary it's resistance based on the car/conditions, such as getting light during understeer. But it does no such thing, it's the same at all times.

Despite my negative comments above, I am enjoying iracing so far, and look forward to doing more of it.
[/quote]

There are a lot of settings related to yoru wheel's force feedback so it's probably just not set-up right.  Here's a KB article you might want to look at first:-

http://www.answers-script.com/iracing/a ... gs-79.html

Also, the iRacing forums are a very good source of user to user help on this kind of stuff.

Cheers, Ross.

ross

Post by ross » Fri May 06, 2011 8:01 am

[quote="John Williams"]
Agreed. Awesome setup Ross!

Did you build it yourself?   ( :laugh: No, not you Atom)

[/quote]

Yeah, all done by me.  The end design is really quite straightforward, but there's actually quite a lot of work behind it to get the design as good and simple as possible whilst still doing what I needed at a reasonable cost.  If anyone's seriously interested in building something similar themselves let me know as I've got a SketchUp 3D model and parts list etc.  It would be pretty straightforward to replicate.

Cheers, Ross.

ross

Post by ross » Fri May 06, 2011 8:04 am

[quote="Hedge"]
Jesus H Christ, Ross! That looks mental, fact.
I actually quite like it (runs and hides in shame).
It looks frighteningly expensive dude, how many reasons, ballpark?

Cheers, Hedge
[/quote]

PC is about £800, the rig about £400, monitors £600, wheel £200, pedals £200 so all in about £2200.  Sounds like a lot, but for what you get combined with iRacing, it's mint.  Footprint is about 1.5m x 1.5m.

ross

Post by ross » Fri May 06, 2011 8:07 am

[quote="Ross"]
[/quote]

Fanatec Clubsport Pedals:-

http://www.fanatec.de/html/index.php?id=293

Really nice piece of kit for the money.  The brake is loadcell based rather than a pot and very adjustable so it's much more realistic than the standard pedals you get with most mainstream wheels.

Cheers, Ross.

Hedge

Post by Hedge » Fri May 06, 2011 9:03 am

[quote="Ross"]
PC is about £800, the rig about £400, monitors £600, wheel £200, pedals £200 so all in about £2200.  Sounds like a lot, but for what you get combined with iRacing, it's mint.  Footprint is about 1.5m x 1.5m.
[/quote]
Is that all? Blimey I find myself being curiously tempted.

Tell me: how do you deal/ get over the stigma attached to it? Ie, that you're a complete nerd/retard/freak/child (delete where appropriate)
Cheers,
Hedge

ross

Post by ross » Fri May 06, 2011 9:06 am

[quote="Hedge"]
[quote="Ross"]
[/quote]
Is that all? Blimey I find myself being curiously tempted.

Tell me: how do you deal/ get over the stigma attached to it? Ie, that you're a complete nerd/retard/freak/child (delete where appropriate)
Cheers,
Hedge
[/quote]

Ha ha, I haven't met any person yet  - male or female - whose seen it in action and not wanted a go and then enjoyed it.

Life is all about the toys ;)

Hedge

Post by Hedge » Fri May 06, 2011 9:32 am

[quote="Ross"]
I haven't met any person yet  - male or female - whose seen it in action and not wanted a go and then enjoyed it.
[/quote]
Really? Like, REALLY?
So no-one you know - as far as you can tell - thinks it's "all a bit OTT for a grown up" etc? No shaking-of-heads as visitors pull away from your house post a simply divine (darling)bourgeois supper  ;D

I dunno. Part of me deffo buys into the idea but then I kind of think to myself I'd rather be actually driving/ tinkering with the real thing parked outside instead.
Maybe, we'll see.
Cheers,
Hedge