Daily Driver

Entertainment and stuff that has nothing to do with the models themselves...
Jerry

Re: Daily Driver

Post by Jerry » Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:25 am

I really would like a Jaguar F-Pace SVR, but my heart says I should buy an EV or a Hybrid, in these strange times. Just can't decide and with the chip supply problems the forecast delivery is 6 months plus.

Miyagi_GB

Post by Miyagi_GB » Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:41 am

Jerry wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:25 am I really would like a Jaguar F-Pace SVR, but my heart says I should buy an EV or a Hybrid, in these strange times. Just can't decide and with the chip supply problems the forecast delivery is 6 months plus.
IMO, Enjoy it whilst you can.. Order that car you dream of :)
Damian
2020 BMW M135i xDrive

Sam1Kracing

Post by Sam1Kracing » Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:17 am

Fisker Karma (on the opposite spectrum from the A4... and for travel with mylady)
BMW Z3M (convertible for unstable weather in case of rain)
Fiat Barchetta (sculptural, for my son)
Ginetta G4 (drinving around in town with nice sound and plenty of smiles)

ATOM for any dry day left in the year (which under our latitudes is NOT in summer as some could expect)

travelbug63

Post by travelbug63 » Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:25 pm

Interesting Fastlane, looks like it's only the Atom we agree on, oh and I don't like SUV's either. So not liking SUV's what do I drive.... a new I-Pace and I love it. Previously had a couple of BMW 530d xdrive Tourings which I also loved.
I accept size wise it's not ideal as I live in Devon and we have a lot of very narrow lanes but it's a bloody impressive car.

I didn't consider the Tesla, I accept there's a great charging network but I just don't like them and the 3 is down right ugly, every time I see one it reminds me of a duck
Atom 4, Jaguar I Pace, Honda cr-v (dog carrier), Mini JCW (wife's)

travelbug63

Post by travelbug63 » Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:36 pm

Sorry, my above comment was in reference to something said on the the first page of this post, didn't realise it was started in Aug 19 and there were another 7 pages, so probably seems a confusing comment
Atom 4, Jaguar I Pace, Honda cr-v (dog carrier), Mini JCW (wife's)

squarebeard

Post by squarebeard » Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:41 pm

Unfortunately, I won't be able to register my Atom 4 in :doh: Denmark, so it'll be a trailer toy until the rules change. So for towing purposes I recently bought a 2016 Passat Alltrack, 2.0 TDi with 190 diesel ponies and the DSG box. It's got AWD and is a little bit higher than the standard Passat. Mine's also lifted a touch more... I need to be able to pull a covered autotrailer around Europe, through grassy paddocks, over autostrada and autobahn, and not die of boredom or unpleasantness, while still keeping fuel and maintenance costs reasonable. Deftly keeping more cash on hand for future Atom parts.

And because used cars like this are expensive in Denmark (I just looked it up - £35000 due to lovely Danish tax grumble grumble), this one will have to be my daily, I guess. Turns out it's a pretty nice commuter car. People think it's a police car and slow down for me. :police:

I'm absolutely insane to even bother trying to have an Atom in Denmark, but I do love a challenge. I had to upgrade my driving license, and still to go: actually buying the trailer. And building the garage, and actually taking delivery of the Atom and transporting it UK-DK. Then paying the taxes, and registering the car in Germany, and...
2016 VW Passat Alltrack.jpg
2016 VW Passat Alltrack.jpg (2.68 MiB) Viewed 1613 times

Kuber

Post by Kuber » Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:33 pm

Just found this topic and it's very interesting to see how different daily car choices are and really cool to see how Atoms are in many cases at the top of the journey for ultimate excitement and experience.

As a daily ride I use Mercedes GLE400D - mostly for family reasons as travelling a lot locally for hiking, skiing etc. and need to pack the whole lot in with luggage.

Got also Land Cruiser for heavy lifting and towing, mainly Polaris RZR 1000XP for offroad fun.

And last but not least MB A45 really good and quick hot hatch. Really like this one.

If we would have better charging network in Poland, definitely would consider EV car as a daily commuter.

Fastlane

Post by Fastlane » Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:12 pm

travelbug63 wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:25 pm Interesting Fastlane, looks like it's only the Atom we agree on, oh and I don't like SUV's either. So not liking SUV's what do I drive.... a new I-Pace and I love it. Previously had a couple of BMW 530d xdrive Tourings which I also loved.
I accept size wise it's not ideal as I live in Devon and we have a lot of very narrow lanes but it's a bloody impressive car.

I didn't consider the Tesla, I accept there's a great charging network but I just don't like them and the 3 is down right ugly, every time I see one it reminds me of a duck
No problem. The Model 3's looks have grown on me, especially the Performance one as the 20" wheels and lowered suspension make it look rather purposeful. I liked the iPace but in the end I am glad I got the Model 3, especially as my daughter has just started at Durham Uni and the 1000 mile round trip was very easy in the Tesla. Each time we pulled into a service station, we would cruise pass the 1 or 2 other EV charge points, which were often in use, and pull up to a bank of 10 to 20 Tesla superchargers and simply plug in and walk away. It just feels like a premium experience. I actually felt sorry for a Taycan owner as they had to "slum it" at the regular charger point... >:D

Taking the charging network out of the equation, there are a lot of good EVs out there compared to when I ordered my Tesla back in July 2019.
2008 Supercharged Atom 3, Tesla Model 3 Long Range

AlanP

Post by AlanP » Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:05 pm

I am completely happy with our Honda E as our daily driver. A stupidly likeable little car with a hilarious turning circle, costs very little to run, easiest car to park or get into tiny spaces. Does everything a daily driver needs to do.
They really should be selling far more of them.

Alan
Beautiful 2000 XJR, last ever supercharged Atom, Fiesta Active, 'Verstappen' Honda e, Focus, Jaguar iPace, Volcano Yellow, MSO Black Pack 720S Spider.

Jerry

Post by Jerry » Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:51 pm

We have just ordered a MINI Electric (also liked the Honda E, but wanted to buy as much British content as I could, so plumped for the MINI). Range isn't great, but it will do all we need in the locality.

Plan to keep a longer range ICE car for the moment. I'll be honest, I do't know where the Nomad fits in, I am certainly not driving it as much as I would like.

atomiser

Post by atomiser » Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:28 pm

Yes, I'm on lithium battery power now - only takes a few minutes to charge and lasts for weeks!.

Great on the race track when its wet, good tow car and automonous driving not bad either ... 8)
Attachments
20211024_142054.jpg
20211024_142054.jpg (1.69 MiB) Viewed 1536 times
20211024_142023.jpg
20211024_142023.jpg (1.77 MiB) Viewed 1536 times

AlanP

Post by AlanP » Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:50 pm

Jerry,

That's the two cars we looked at! The range is no problem for us, more than 99% of our journeys are local and I don't feel the need to drag another 1/2 ton of batteries around. I did enjoy the Mini test drive! I'm absolutely with you re British content, this is the only new 'import' I've ever bought.

Alan
Beautiful 2000 XJR, last ever supercharged Atom, Fiesta Active, 'Verstappen' Honda e, Focus, Jaguar iPace, Volcano Yellow, MSO Black Pack 720S Spider.

phil4

Post by phil4 » Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:34 pm

AlanP, Jerry.

My other half has a Honda E and I think it's a great drive. I think the reason it's not getting bought is everyone thinks they need a car that can do 200-500 miles. Ours being a second car is used round town, and so can easily last a week between charges. The Mini E would have been high on the list too.

Jerry

Post by Jerry » Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:54 pm

AlanP, Phil4

We test drove the MINI and loved it. I only looked at the Honda E, we should have test driven it, as I know we wouldn't have been disappointed. Looking forward to delivery, I assume you guys mainly charge at home (this is our plan)?

phil4

Post by phil4 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:12 am

Jerry wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:54 pm I assume you guys mainly charge at home (this is our plan)?
Yes, and use an EV electricy tarrif to bring the charging cost down even more.