Not an Atom but...

Entertainment and stuff that has nothing to do with the models themselves...
Trigger

Not an Atom but...

Post by Trigger » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:58 am

...its does have 2 seats and rear wheel drive.....

Couldnt live without a toy and the C63 is too pricey to track very often (absolutely adore it for daily use though !) so decided to get a cheapie bit of fun: MX5 1.8 2002 facelift model. Cost me £2500, parts are cheap - wish it could be an Atom but funds just cant stretch that far at the moment !

Pics:
Atom 4, Mclaren 720s, Audi Rs4, VW ID3.....

wasp

Re: Not an Atom but...

Post by wasp » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:22 am

Great choice Trig, you'll be amazed at how much fun you will have in it.

I hope you take it on track once in a while. Obviously they are not that quick but such a peach of a chassis really inspires confidence and you will be surprised just how fast they go round corners. With less power you really do focus on maintaining speed!

It looks in great shape too!

Hope you enjoy!

Cheers,
Stu
Atom 4, Gr Yaris

Trigger

Post by Trigger » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:40 am

Yeah plan to have it on track as much as I can. Will try and join you fast boys soon !

In great shape really - no real rot/rust on sills/wheel arches - needs brakes replacing which i will do this weekend as they wouldnt hold up on track. Have bought so 15" wheels and some Federal RSR tyres (as recommended by many Mx5 drivers).

Should be a different approach to the Atom with maintaining speed the key as you say. But good fun all the same.

T

wasp

Post by wasp » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:54 am

[quote="Trigger"]
Yeah plan to have it on track as much as I can. Will try and join you fast boys soon !

In great shape really - no real rot/rust on sills/wheel arches - needs brakes replacing which i will do this weekend as they wouldnt hold up on track. Have bought so 15" wheels and some Federal RSR tyres (as recommended by many Mx5 drivers).

Should be a different approach to the Atom with maintaining speed the key as you say. But good fun all the same.

T
[/quote]

We run the Federals on our MX5 and they are great. Grip levels are excellent and they wear really well.
Good choice on 15" wheels.
I recommend Axxis brake pads as they have a carbon mix which gives great bite, are progressive and don't squeal.

Here's a link if you fancy them:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=mx5+axxis&_sacat=0&_odkw=mx5+axiis&_osacat=0&_from=R40

Keep an eye on the engine temps on track and check the crank key every once in a while as crank failure cost me an engine last year!

Apart from that, ours has been utterly brilliant. It has had a crazy amount of things thrown at it (if you ever want to upgrade talk to me fist as I've learnt lots of lessons the hard way!)

I love driving mine nearly as much as I did the Atom, probably because I am much less precious about and you drive at 100% the whole time!

Cheers,
Stu
Atom 4, Gr Yaris

Trigger

Post by Trigger » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:07 am

Axxis pads seem popular - will definitely try them.

What is the crank key ?

Thanks yr advice - Will come back to you with some questions no doubt after first trackday !!

T

wasp

Post by wasp » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:25 am

[quote="Trigger"]
Axxis pads seem popular - will definitely try them.

What is the crank key ?

Thanks yr advice - Will come back to you with some questions no doubt after first trackday !!

T
[/quote]

I'll leave the technical stuff for the substantially more knowledgeable folk than I, but the crank key on the MX5 can be found in the middle of the lower part of the engine block. It holds the crank in place (y'know that thingy that turns pistons going up and down to linear power into the gearbox....(wait for the engineers to stop laughing.)

Standing in the middle of the front of the car and it will be right in front of your shins!

It is basically a piece of metal with notches that lock into place. Sometimes the parts of the key that lock into the notches can break (they are under engineered) which means that the crank can break. Most MX5 keys have just one notch which means you need to watch them if you put the engine under a lot of strain (hence the track question!)
Struggling to load images at the mo, but google image it and you'll find it easily enough.

Cheers,
Stu
Atom 4, Gr Yaris

jpswift

Post by jpswift » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:21 pm

(if you ever want to upgrade talk to me fist as I've learnt lots of lessons the hard way!)

[/quote]

bit strong stu

he was only making polite conversation  ;D

nice motor  though trig, never had one but hear they are highly rated
ATOM 4
DEFENDER 90
CROSSTURISMO 4S
911  991.2
R1250GS

Trigger

Post by Trigger » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:33 pm

Hahaha - I saw that as well Justin - wasnt intending on 'talking to his fist' but.........

T

wasp

Post by wasp » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:39 pm

:doh:
I knew I should have proof read what I wrote on this forum. ;D

Funny how Justin always picks up on comments like these...................... ;)

Cheers,
Stu
Atom 4, Gr Yaris