Formula 4 - New MSV/BRDC Championship.

Entertainment and stuff that has nothing to do with the models themselves...
Dext37

Formula 4 - New MSV/BRDC Championship.

Post by Dext37 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:35 am

As a few people might know, I am usually a Touring Car and Motorcycle racing fan, however that could change in the future.

At the Autosport International Show this year (Thursday 10th January 2013) Derek Warwick and Jonathan Palmer launched a new Formula series, aiming at providing a modern low cost series for those starting a single seater career. This is called Formula 4 and all 24 cars cost around £30,000 each (minus engine) and were sold to teams in less than a month. The running cost for the full championship is expected to range from £30,000 to £40,000 for a private entrant to £60,000 to £70,000 for a professional team. The championship will support the DTM race at Brands Hatch and British GT event at Snetterton as part of an 8 round 24 race series.

2013 BRDC Formula 4 Championship calendar:
27/28 April – Silverstone GP
17/18/19 May – Brands Hatch Indy (supporting DTM)
15/16 June – Snetterton 300 (supporting British F3/GT)
5/6 July – Oulton Park International
27/28 July – Brands Hatch GP17/18 August – Silverstone GP     
7/8 September – Snetterton 300
28/29 September – Donington Park GP

Slick Yokohama tyres, no driver aids, 2.0 Duratech Cosworth developed engine producing around 190bhp, FIA article 277 safety standard approved it is meant to be a throw back to Formula Ford of 20 years ago, and with F3 and Formula Renault seemingly dying out and dead respectively, this could be the introduction to Formula Motorsport savior.

The champion will receive a £25,000 scholarship and a F3 test with Carlin Motorsport + other BRDC perks.

The car visually and technically looks very impressive and I will definitely make some weekends free to check out the racing.

I had a conversation with the PR person for the championship and we agree on 99.9% aspects of the championship, I disagree with the Touring Car style race formats, but that is just my own personal opinion.

If you are attending the Autosport show, this really is a must see feature, the car is very intriguing

What do you guys think? A modern throw back or waste of time?

www.formula4.com

Dexter.
Last edited by Dext37 on Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AtomMadStew

Re: Formula 4 - New MSV/BRDC Championship.

Post by AtomMadStew » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:23 pm

If it performs as good as it looks it will be awesome - I love it!  :vroom:
I agree dext - nice find, is it getting any tv coverage?

Stew

wattie

Post by wattie » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:58 am

+1 on that Stew, car looks fab....bet that would be a hoot to drive  :drool:

Cheers Wattie

Dext37

Post by Dext37 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:20 pm

[quote="Stew Bartley"]
If it performs as good as it looks it will be awesome - I love it!  :vroom:
I agree dext - nice find, is it getting any tv coverage?

Stew
[/quote]

Stew, to answer your question, MSV are in talks with television media outlets, I assume it could be a Motors TV broadcast, don't quote me on that, it just seems that SKY wouldn't take it, Eurosport, no way ITV4? Maybe.