Transporting the Atom

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.
Yoshi_koshy

Transporting the Atom

Post by Yoshi_koshy » Tue May 19, 2020 6:01 pm

Hey guys,

Anyone got experience or advice for transporting an Atom. I wondered if anyone had used anything but a trailer. Like a large van?

autobackup

Re: Transporting the Atom

Post by autobackup » Wed May 20, 2020 6:02 am

If it will fit, the load angle is suitable and it can be securely tied down - why not?

There is a Dutch Atom owner in Poulshot (Wiltshire) who has a commercial plant nursery business that uses a large truck with an extended hydraulic lift tailgate, that can lift 2 large pallets at the same time, that he uses to transport his Atom!
Atom 3.5R (Cyprus)
Honda CRV 2.2 Ex Auto i-DTEC (Cyprus)
Suzuki Celerio 1.0 SZ4 (Cyprus)
Honda CRV Ex I-MMD eCVT Hybrid (UK)

Yoshi_koshy

Post by Yoshi_koshy » Thu May 21, 2020 12:06 pm

Interesting. I much prefer that option then I can use the truck for work too.

woodsypedia

Post by woodsypedia » Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:18 pm

Yes. I usually use a trailer. Have no problems at all. Just make sure you reverse the car on to balance the trailer given the rear engine layout.

Straps I picked up from Amazon and cost me around £50. Really durable and easy to use.
APC_0555.jpeg
APC_0555.jpeg (4.75 MiB) Viewed 717 times

autobackup

Post by autobackup » Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:45 pm

Whether or not you need to reverse your Atom/Nomad on to your trailer directly depends on your particular trailer's dynamics.

As a (very) general rule of thumb I would suggest definitely reversing on to a trailer if it is a single axle unit.

If it is double axle unit it directly depends where the axles are placed in relation to the overall length.

The trailer that I had built by PRG for my Atom I requested that any shortening required to accommodate my Atom should only be done aft of the dual axles - in addition I requested that they fit the shortest possible draw-bar.

The net result is that I can load my Atom either facing forwards (by far the easiest option) or backwards and it doesn't make a blind bit of difference to the towing experience - even at speed with the Atom facing forwards it is as steady as a rock with no tendency to fishtail whatsoever.

I have tried both ways and one thing I would point out is that the cost of fuel for the towing vehicle is significantly less when towing with my Atom facing forwards while not particularly aerodynamic anyway the aero is better by far with the car facing forwards!

This, to my mind, is the main advantage of having a bespoke trailer made specifically rather than simply adapting one 'off the shelf'!!
IMG_20180609_130022 Reduced .jpg
IMG_20180609_130022 Reduced .jpg (4.19 MiB) Viewed 688 times
Atom 3.5R (Cyprus)

Winmoz

Transporting the Atom

Post by Winmoz » Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:42 am

autobackup wrote: The trailer that I had built by PRG for my Atom I requested that any shortening required to accommodate my Atom should only be done aft of the dual axles - in addition I requested that they fit the shortest possible draw-bar.
Interesting. I had my trailer built by PRG to fit my short garage and they fitted the shortest tow-bar they could. I always tow with the car on backwards (low 20s miles to the gallon).

Care to share the dimensions of your trailer re the overhangs from the double axle to the front and rear, as I’d like to see if a front facing tow is worth an experiment with mine?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
#BananAtom

autobackup

Post by autobackup » Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:35 am

If you look closely at the photo of my trailer you should be able to see that my Atom's nearside rear wheel is only about 18" aft of rear trailer axle - given the light weight of the an Atom that's simply not a big enough lever to cause the the trailer to fishtail with the Atom loaded facing forward.

I will attempt to measure the distances you requested later today I will also take a photo to attempt to show that the axles are mounted nearer to the back of the trailer due to the way I requested the shortening to be done.
Atom 3.5R (Cyprus)

autobackup

Post by autobackup » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:23 am

Ok I have now measured the my trailer :

From the tie down point at the REAR edge of the trailer to the centre line of the REAR axle = 130cm

From the tie down point at the FRONT edge of the trailer to the centre line of the FRONT axle =156cm.

So basically there is more trailer in front of the forward axle than behind behind the rear axle which makes it very stable to tow.

Edit : I also took a side on photo which I have now reduced in size which show the relative dimensions!
IMG_20200827_110713 (1000x592).jpg
IMG_20200827_110713 (1000x592).jpg (106.08 KiB) Viewed 581 times
Atom 3.5R (Cyprus)

atomiser

Post by atomiser » Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:50 pm

I too forward load on brain james Amax trailer twin axle - the thing to really measure, is the weight on the towbar, which in this configuration is 60kg. I get 33-36mpg rather than 50mpg.

If I rear load, I have to careful on position and the nose weight exceeding 75kg.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

stupot

Post by stupot » Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:04 pm

I've had a PRG Lodeck Beavertail trailer since 2005. It was custom sized to fit in a single garage at 15" x 6'6" overall with a 11" x 6' 6" bed.
P1100969.JPG
P1100969.JPG (5 MiB) Viewed 569 times
I found the nose weight was too high with the Atom on backwards but spot on forwards. In this configuration I find it is totally stable and get around 10 mpg less when towing.

It's rated at 2000kg so was able to use it to transport my Alfa Giulia Sprint GT Veloce.
P1080401.JPG
P1080401.JPG (5.25 MiB) Viewed 569 times
Atom 2 160 (05-11) / Atom 3 245 (12-19 ) / Nomad 300 (22-)

robfitz

Post by robfitz » Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:59 pm

Nice Alfa :-)

Interesting you are all using open trailers, I’d have thought there would be more closed trailers given the Atom is so open / awkward to keep clean etc.

About the widest trailers I’ve seen are 1.95m wide on the deck but most of the pictures above look wider than that?
GR Yaris CP for when it rains, Atom 4 for when it doesn’t.

autobackup

Post by autobackup » Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:35 pm

Rob

With 'off the shelf' trailers you are generally correct but the primary reason for buying from PRG is that their trailers can be entirely bespoke so you can specify whatever length and width you fancy (within the Road Traffic Act limitations of course)

My particular trailer is a' bespoke 'Lodeck' Beaver Tail,
with *punched metal decking and I went for the 2.5m ramps, hydraulic tilt, LED lighting, manual winch, wheel chocks, Bulldog hitch lock plus Bulldog heavy duty wheel clamp and a spare wheel - it was built to the precise length and width specifications I wanted.

* I decided to spec punched metal decking rather than the more usual commercial board decking (see Stupot's post and photo above) because I suspected that a wooden deck would swiftly be 'killed' by the Cyprus sun!!

The dimensions of the load deck of my particular trailer are 3650mm x 2130mm - max load 3000kgs!

FYI in June 2018 the OTR cost was £4894.80
Atom 3.5R (Cyprus)

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:06 pm

Gents,

Sorry to poke my nose in here, but this topic does come up a lot. Do you think it would be worth the Club doing some form of 'guide to trailering' write up?

Track dimensions, forward V backward mounting, how to tie down, common suppliers etc. etc.

I have never trailered a car and have no desire to, but would be happy to do some forum scraping and try and come up with something for peer / factory review.

Or is the topic very much 'owner preference' and there is no point trying to capture core advice?

Sorry for the noob question. Happy to get my coat if it's a daft idea.

That is all...

Luckky

Post by Luckky » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:10 pm

I’d love to hear more all in one place ie best value for money trailers etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stupot

Post by stupot » Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:45 am

When mounting the Atom forwards and heavy rain is expected then I recommend covering the air intake. This prevents the filter and intake from potentially filling with water.

Rain whilst driving is not an issue as the water doesn't build up as it is drawn in as vapour. Over several hours on the trailer the combination of heavy rain and spray can cause water to build up.

A couple of other tips:

1. If you have an Atom 2 or 3 with the SPA dash then cover that as well. They are not as waterproof as the Dash 2. This may be more important when mounting rearwards.

2. If you don't have a cut off switch, simply pull a wire from the back of the ignition switch. It's quick and easy to do with practice on an Atom 2 or 3 and stops anyone switching it on accidentally. They attract just as much interest on a trailer and some people cannot resist touching!

3. Remove the belts. This stops them clattering against the seats and from getting wet.

4. When parked overnight throw a cover over it and it will draw less attention. Add a hitch lock and a wheel clamp as a minimum and even secure the Atom to the trailer for additional peace of mind.

Stu
Atom 2 160 (05-11) / Atom 3 245 (12-19 ) / Nomad 300 (22-)