Permanently on rear view monitor

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.
autobackup

Permanently on rear view monitor

Post by autobackup » Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:51 am

I have been actively exploring options for fitting a waterproof to IP68 'permanently on' sunlight viewable rearview hi-res LCD colour monitor & narrow angle camera to my Atom as I am fed up up of never being able to see what's behind me!

I think that, as it needs a narrow angle camera with a greater depth of field, that it probably won't be the best to use as a reversing camera but should, at least, give some sort of idea of what behind when reversing?

My plan is to mount it in the centre of the dash - either below or above the coaming a la a standard rearview mirror - it will only be powered when the ignition switch is on and for it to function exactly like a normal rearview mirror.

Using a small reversing camera is not practical as they are too wide angle to be effective as a 'mirror'!

- I have discovered that hi-res 12v narrow angle (IP68) cameras are few and far between and they also tend to be rather larger than a reversing camera due to the lens focal length required.

There are some marine CCTV rear view options available but tend to be paired with too large a monitor and are also mega expensive into the bargain!

Has anyone gone down this route before?
Atom 3.5R (Cyprus)
Honda CRV 2.2 Ex Auto i-DTEC (Cyprus)
Suzuki Celerio 1.0 SZ4 (Cyprus)
Honda CRV Ex I-MMD eCVT Hybrid (UK)

markwetherall

Re: Permanently on rear view monitor

Post by markwetherall » Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:26 am

One option that might be worth exploring. On trailers you can get a camera that you use your mobile phone for viewing. Might be a cheap option as you can pick up a 2nd hand waterproof mobile pretty cheaply and the cameras are not to expensive

Any thing marine is really expensive