Got out for a few road miles this week and need some help on some issues please

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.
Chriscov88

Got out for a few road miles this week and need some help on some issues please

Post by Chriscov88 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:17 pm

Managed to put some miles on the atom this week and have got a couple of small issues I need to ask about. Ive had a search of the forum and can't find any threads related in the last 10 or so years.

Issue one:

The water temperature gauge is playing up. Sporadically jumps up to 273 deg and stays there. I have since found out this is only if I have the main beam (number 2 or 3?) on the lights. If I turn the lights off or back to 1 the temp will sit around 85. Lights on and almost instantly back up to 273.I think this may be a grounding issue but I'm not even sure where to start.

Issue two:

Since I have washed it I seem to have developed a really annoying squeak up front. This is both sides and I notice it most when turning the wheel at very slow speed. If I compress the suspension when at a standstill this also recreates the squeak. It sounds like its the bottom side of the arm as opposed to the shock side at the top. Any suggestion what to do with this?

Any help appreciated

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Re: Got out for a few road miles this week and need some help on some issues please

Post by John Scherrer » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:28 pm

Hi Chris,

Re : Sporadic Water Temp Reading

This does happen - not sure of the exact reason - this link discusses the issue ..

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=16496&p=289119&hili ... ht#p289119
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

HenryJS

Re: Got out for a few road miles this week and need some help on some issues please

Post by HenryJS » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:44 pm

Chris,

I suspect you might be right with the earthing issue - contact Steve in Service and have a quick chat.

The squeak - very odd indeed, can you see any part of the wishbones rubbing any where? does it happen if the wheels rotate (a squeaky brake pad maybe?)

I would suggest trying something like GT85 (a light spray lubricant) around any moving parts (dont go over board with the spray, a tiny burst will do)
the only area to not spray is the rod ends. if you lubricate them, they will wear faster (odd i know)...