Speed Camera Detectors

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.
AlanP

Speed Camera Detectors

Post by AlanP » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:26 am

I got a Rider 550 with my new car and was hoping it would be a little better as regards camera detection. I've played with it a fair bit and can't get anything better than a tiny little image of a camera about 3mm square bottom right. What I want is a screen that shouts at me and flashes like a lunatic when I'm over the limit and approaching a camera. Perhaps Road Angel Pure will do the job.

Does anybody have any advice and any tips about fixing to an Atom?

Thanks,

Alan

phil4

Re: Speed Camera Detectors

Post by phil4 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:39 am

Have you and are you using a bluetooth system connected to the Nav? If so it should bleep at you to alert you. If not, I get your problem.

I think then you'd need a speed camera detector specifically and in your eyeline.

AlanP

Post by AlanP » Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:44 am

Thanks Phil

I'll look at the Bluetooth idea. I called Road Angel tech support about suitability in an open top car, they were hopeless. No idea about an ip rating or anything else.

A

reg

Post by reg » Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:27 pm

[mention]AlanP[/mention] have you tried Waze with a pair of Bose QC20 or the like. I have found it picks up most fixed camera sites.

BTW, those Bose are on offer at the moment for £120 on Amazon :tu:

phil4

Post by phil4 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:49 pm

reg wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:27 pm @AlanP have you tried Waze with a pair of Bose QC20 or the like. I have found it picks up most fixed camera sites.

BTW, those Bose are on offer at the moment for £120 on Amazon :tu:
Waze ain't bad and use it daily on my commute, but you'll need a phone to run it on... the only downside with the qc20 (I've got a pair, and I think a few others too) is that you get occasional loud pops.

AlanP

Post by AlanP » Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:55 pm

Thanks all,

I'm going to try Waze and I've bought some wireless earphones to listen to the alerts off the Tomtom. The earphones have on-board storage so I can listen to music while connected to the TomTom. Might be a neat solution.

Alan

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:16 pm

I was lucky enough to attend Devon Dash earlier in the year - https://www.ariel.club/forum/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=17142

I came away with 2 thoughts:

1) Speed limits on public roads were observed at all times. Granted, the acceleration up to 60 / 70 were bloody good fun, but we drove within the confinements of the law

2) The bigger issue was livestock on Dartmoor. In fact, [mention]irg100[/mention] almost found the cow I narrowly avoided on one twisty bend

Anyone know if Waze offers real time updates for livestock?

IanG

Post by IanG » Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:59 am

Just as well I was traveling at 888mph
Warp speed :roflp:

dunny

Post by dunny » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:20 am

HI,
Having just attended a "driver awareness course" and after twenty Minuit's considered hanging myself from the dry marker board i would seriously consider sticking to the speed limit where ever possible even unto the loss of your very soul.
On the bright side no penalty point's[cant find the smiley face]

AlanP

Post by AlanP » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:47 am

One of the great advantages of the Atom is the fun available at legal speeds, I don't think this can be overestimated. As a good friend said (while in Sicily, genuinely) 'In this car 100mph really feels like 100mph'
I still want to know where those cameras are though!

Alan

deepdiver

Post by deepdiver » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:21 am

Hi Alan,
i have a road angel pure, basically, where do you put it, I used to keep my old road angel under a carbon fiber cowling which worked well enough. so I upgraded to the pure, and guess what it doesn't work under the cowling. if your using a windscreen you can get a mount and it will attach to that and offer some protection, its not waterproof so its useless in the open and the mount it comes with is also rubbish outside a normal car. its a fantastic bit of kit when I'm in my RS4 but unfortunately for the atom at the moment without an external aerial its pointless.
if you get one and find a solution make sure to post it as ill be very interested.
i hope this helps a little

I also use WAZE on my phone and boy does that eat battery life on the i phone.

George.