Steering rack

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.
reg

Steering rack

Post by reg » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:23 pm

Just wanted to share my experience on the recent service. I was informed that my steering was notchy whilst the car was on the ramp, at one point we were looking at a new rack! To cut a long story short the stops were adjusted and it was pumped full of grease. That cured the issue and the guys said you probably won't notice it?

Well, it's one of the biggest changes to the car in the time that I have owned it. The steering was never bad before but now it's a different level of feedback and at the ends of the lock it is much lighter. One of the rod ends was changed as well. For the cost of it I would say it's almost worth including at a service if it hasn't been done and the car is 3-4 years old, totally transformed mine.

I can also report that the ZZR tyres on the back are working well. How long they'll last I am not sure, they look a bit 48 ish to me and those tyres were measured in hours not miles ;D

Toilet Duck

Re: Steering rack

Post by Toilet Duck » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:16 pm

Hi Reg, what do you mean by the "stops were adjusted"? Also, where was the grease pumped in, is there a grease nipple?

Would like to check mine :vroom:

Cheers

reg

Post by reg » Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:28 pm

Hi,

As far as I know it is the end stops that were adjusted. The large port in the middle is where you can gain access to it all, I assume it comes apart across its length? Give the factory a call, they spoke to the supplier and they explained how to do everything. The end result is ace.

Toilet Duck

Post by Toilet Duck » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:01 pm

[mention]HenryJS[/mention] can you throw any light on this please? Would be good to know how to check this

Cheers

HenryJS

Post by HenryJS » Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:25 pm

I can!

Essentially - if you don't have tracking gauges, don't disassemble anything. As you need to remove the steering arms to perform your re-grease.

Don't be fiddling with the large nut in the middle arbitrarily either, its set up in a certain way.

If you do have tracking gauges, carefully, and making note of the order of things, disassemble the steering arms off the car, remove the rack end joints, clean , re-grease, and then reassemble in the reverse order that it came out in. Note how much force you need to release the rack end joints - or, give us a call.

If your rack has 'play' or is badly 'notchy' after a few years of heavy use, it can be re-worked fairly easily, providing it hasn't been re-worked before.

We would suggest that you send us the rack for this - the price varies (sorry) for how much needs to be done, from around £150-300. if its a simple rebuild re grease and pop a shim in to remove slight play, its ll be on the £150 end. If you need a new barshaft or pinion, or both and new rack ends, it will be more towards the £300 end. If the whole lot is knackered, its a new rack :(

Toilet Duck

Post by Toilet Duck » Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:21 pm

Thanks for the info, much appreciated :tu: