Squeaky brakes

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.
atommatt

Squeaky brakes

Post by atommatt » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:55 pm

Hey guys , I need some help. I got a 09 with Alcon 4 piston calipers that have a Mintex MDB1992m1144FF Brake pads. These things are so loud it's kind of embarrassing to stop at a light. I've added stop squeak to the brake pads and still it's like running your nails down a chalk board. Any idea on what to do now ? Do they make Ceramic Pads to fit those calipers? Oh , also these pads are really dusty and I absolutely hate these shitty pads. I've looked on line but I don't know what I can use as a cross reference. Cheers.

smokin

Re: Squeaky brakes

Post by smokin » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:08 pm

Hi Matt,

Common complaint and lots of chat on here about it over the years. Couple of other pad options for the Alcons:

Front or/and Rear : Pagid RS4-2 and RS14, type U1203
Front : Carbone Lorraine RC8R type 4002 (very agressive/high friction coeff)

Mintex Ceratek on the back of the pads shuts mine up for a season

https://www.ariel.club/forum/viewtopic. ... 2&p=289600

HenryJS

Post by HenryJS » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:23 pm

Matt,

This first suggestion will sound silly - brake slightly later and a little harder, this should stop the squeak.

Alternatively, remove the pads, clean the silver grease off the back, add a chamfer to the leading and trailing edges of the pad, re apply the silver grease, re fit, should stop the squeal.

atommatt

Post by atommatt » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:17 pm

I have tried to do the slow down and stop at the last minute, but now the problem is all the damn dust I have custom wheel and it turns them into a mess. I kind of got away from that and have gone to looking far ahead and being ready to stop. I only use my atom on the streets so I'm not sure what would be the best? :-\

HenryJS

Post by HenryJS » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:35 pm

i dont know what to suggest... its doesnt matter what pad you fit, there will always be brake dust on the wheels..

I can only see two options. Clean the wheels alot, or have black wheels!

atommatt

Post by atommatt » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:57 am

Ok thanks for the link and the info on the pads. I'll contact these company's to see what they have .This will end up being a winter project seeing as it's getting colder every day. Cheers all.

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:14 pm

Braking hard and late works - especially round town when things are cooler than when 'pushing hard'. If you want maximum fun, try reversing out of Sainsbury's car park and braking. OMG the noise!

Interested in your chamfer comment Henry, as echoed here - http://www.brakeandfrontend.com/brake-p ... ake-noise/

Seems the chamfers are designed to control vibration through the different thickness of the pads, but added OEM by manufacturers to suit a particular make/model.

Another common feature seems to be a centre groove, but this is largely to allow gas to escape (?), which isn't an issue with grooved / drilled discs of course.

What pads are supplied with the cars Henry? I'm curious to see their design and can't be arsed to take the wheels off and remove the calipers. I have places to Ariel (new verb meaning: to see and been seen, at speed).

I'm running Alcon's up front with 'sports pads' on an 18 plate Nomad. I seem to recall the Atom 2 standard brakes being from an MGF, but I'm probably making that up.

Is there an AUDI 80 Rs2 Quattro 94-95 type equivalent?

I'm up for a bit of chamfering over the winter if I can figure out what I'll be faced with once the wheels and calipers are off.

Cheers!

Karl.

autobackup

Post by autobackup » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:03 am

Karl

Why would you need to take off the calipers?

Surely you only need to quickly drop out the pads to chamfer the edges?

You could also take the opportunity to apply some Mintex Ceratek on the back of the pads (as mentioned elsewhere in this thread!!)
Atom 3.5R (Cyprus)
Honda CRV 2.2 Ex Auto i-DTEC (Cyprus)
Suzuki Celerio 1.0 SZ4 (Cyprus)
Honda CRV Ex I-MMD eCVT Hybrid (UK)

atommatt

Post by atommatt » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:08 pm

I was going to order some of that grease but went with Locktite Brake anti squeal.........." Didn't work " :doh:

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:50 pm

autobackup wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:03 am Why would you need to take off the calipers?

Surely you only need to quickly drop out the pads to chamfer the edges?
Fair point!

I guess I was expecting to have to wind in the calipers to get them back on, but they won't be new pads. And a new chamfer could help with smashing them back in afterwards.

Hmmm..