Trackday lessons to get the most from my Atom

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.
Garmster

Trackday lessons to get the most from my Atom

Post by Garmster » Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:05 pm

Hi Guys,

I'd like to know if there are any suggestions for lessons/trainers for the Ariel Atom. I'd like to book a few trackdays at Brands Hatch for the purpose of lessons so I can get the most of my Atom.

Any suggestions, please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

HenryJS

Re: Trackday lessons to get the most from my Atom

Post by HenryJS » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:00 pm

Garmster,

I can give your details to Simon Clark / give you his details - he has given tuition to some on here before i believe? and did all the testing for the Nomad.. hes fairly handy at the tiller. Its not overly cheap - but its well worth it!

Ping me an email henry@arielmotor.co.uk

Steve Gibson
Administrator

Post by Steve Gibson » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:42 pm

Take up that advice, Garmster. You'll learn a lot from Si.

Before you head out to Brands, I'd recommend running the car somewhere where's there's little to hit, like an airfield day or at Bedford Autodrome. You can make mistakes there, without bending the car or barriers. Then jump onto Brands and you'll feel more confident.

Anon

Post by Anon » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:30 am

Is Snetterton good for learning as there seems plenty of run off there?

Trigger

Post by Trigger » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:32 pm

I would recommend a half day/day at Millbrook with Cat Driver training. Colin knows alot and just gives you the chance to get confidence and you can tailor the time for what you want. Not cheap though.

Bedford as a confidence booster trackday is a great idea as cant hit anything and the instructors know Atoms.

I personally wouldnt do any normal tracks first - Snett isnt dreadful but there are some tricky bits.

Anon

Post by Anon » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:55 pm

Thanks. I don't get my Atom for a while yet, whenever the first batch of 4's come rolling off the production line. In the mean time, I can prepare and wait and have my money burn a hole in my pocket!!

I looked at hiring one to get used to the car, but the cost was silly over £1k if I remember for the day.

AlanP

Post by AlanP » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:34 am

Absolutely with Trigger.

Cat driver training are great people with the use of a fantastic facility. The mile straight, 2 mile bank, various handling circuits etc, also the chance to see some disguised cars testing.

Colin himself is talented and an instructor that seems able to explain what he needs to say.

Alan

Anon

Post by Anon » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:05 am

Thanks. Did you under take the training in your own Atom or a CAT track prepped car?

AlanP

Post by AlanP » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:17 am

Own car twice. A bunch of Atom owners went years ago as a club day. It was really a great and memorable day. I went subsequent to that piggy backing on a Subaru owners day or somesuch. Best training I've had, though I've not had a lot. That may show...
Organise a club day and I'll be there!
A

Trigger

Post by Trigger » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:25 am

I did in my Atom, my sons did in their Polo and CAT cars and my wife did in her Audi A6 Allroad after she slid off the road in snow.....

They adapt the day to what you need / want - Colin used to be a suspension engineer at Nissan - super knowledgeable.

GraemeW

Post by GraemeW » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:46 am

Ive been speaking to a few instructors about some lessons. Looking to get a small group of owners for a day at some track somewhere. Early days, but I'm thinking about early next year, so that i don't forget what I learn over the winter, when I hardly take the car out. They are quite busy and booked up well in advance

I will put something up early in 2019 if not before