Removing the fuel Tank

Custom build threads. Installing a turbo, new blower, rebuilding the suspension, etc... A place to document your disease.
toms

Re: Removing the fuel Tank

Post by toms » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:24 pm

I think we had some input from the factory years ago, in 2006 when the problem first started to occur on Atom 2's (on Alecs car from memory).  A search would confirm this - but every time I try and search for something on this forum it doesn't work!  User error I'm sure.

The issues between Atom 1 and Atom 2 are different.  The fuel tank was redesigned totally when we changed to Atom 2 but a batch/some batches were still made with a thinner gauge aluminium than others.  In late 2006 all tanks were changed to the thicker type which cures the problem - and as far as I'm aware not a single one of those thicker types has ever caused a problem, certainly on an Atom 3 from memory.

ross

Post by ross » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:43 pm

Were the tanks serial numbered in any way?

Assuming it's possible to identify cars with tanks that this may happen to in the future, wouldn't it be good practice to get them all swapped to the fixed type?

Are parts at Ariel serialised these days?  If not, it may be something you want to look at doing.  I remember doing some work at Westfield about twenty years ago and everything they made and fitted to cars appeared to be serialised so they could track problems when they cropped up.

Just a thought anyhow.

toms

Post by toms » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:54 pm

Hi Ross - no they weren't/aren't.  But with regular servicing and inspection it should be easy to spot any tank that has sprung a leak.  There are a good deal more of the thin tanks that are fine than there are ones that have caused problems (about 95% more I would say) so this isn't a cause for panic. 

A lot of parts are batch numbered (the safety critical ones as a rule) but some aren't - which is in line with most other low volume manufacturers.  Westfield certainly don't number every part, neither do Caterham or we.

There are of course systems in place to identify which batches of parts go on which car though.

l33haw

Post by l33haw » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:10 pm

[quote="Glyn"]
I think this is the sort of thread where we should have some input from the factory, if parts are failing and help is needed , just my opinion, customer service and all that?
[/quote]

When buying an Atom I knew I wouldn't be getting VW levels of reliability, so I take issues like this in good grace. However if there are any tips the factory can provide on preventing it happening again then I'd love to hear it as I'm in no rush to get the tank in and out again!

Is there any mods on the Atom 3 I can use? I know the tanks a completely different layout and there's less vibration on a 3, but there may be something of help.

toms

Post by toms » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:22 pm

[quote="l33haw"]
[quote="Glyn"]
I think this is the sort of thread where we should have some input from the factory, if parts are failing and help is needed , just my opinion, customer service and all that?
[/quote]

When buying an Atom I knew I wouldn't be getting VW levels of reliability, so I take issues like this in good grace. However if there are any tips the factory can provide on preventing it happening again then I'd love to hear it as I'm in no rush to get the tank in and out again!

Is there any mods on the Atom 3 I can use? I know the tanks a completely different layout and there's less vibration on a 3, but there may be something of help.
[/quote]

Hi Lee

The best preventative measure would be to buy a new tank TBH; but as you say they aren't cheap.  The later Atom 2 fuel tanks are basically the same as a 3 tank but with the fuel pump in a different place, same price too. 

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:14 pm

Presumably a moulded plastic / polythene tank doesn't pass regs?
.. and doesn't look so nice ..
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

l33haw

Post by l33haw » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:54 pm

[quote="John Scherrer"]
Presumably a moulded plastic / polythene tank doesn't pass regs?
.. and doesn't look so nice ..
[/quote]

I did look into that, but you are talking THOUSANDS of pounds.

But anyway, it's all back in this evening, feeling very pleased with myself.

Here's some pics of the tank welded,

Getting the tank back in was actually easier than getting it out. Jacked it as high and wide on the one side then squeezed it in the other. Hardest bit was getting the water pump back on its mounts, took at least 45mins of pushing and pulling. Mental.

Then it's just the reverse of taking it out. Plug everything back in, attach all the pipes, add new cable ties etc etc

Getting the pipes and gear linkage back on was strait forward, and getting the coolant in was also problem free too. So once done I of course had to go for a quick test drive to make sure all was in order, no helmet, pitch black, terrible headlights, freezing cold but utterly brilliant! I may have used a few superlatives.

Tucked up, and ready for a good wash....

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:35 pm

Great job !

I don't think I could tackle that ...

I think you just earned yourself a pint (or two ...!)
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

Richard Marler
Administrator

Post by Richard Marler » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:28 pm

Judging from your picture I take it you have had need in the past to tie up the QE2?
Atom 3 300. Surrey, England.

jpswift

Post by jpswift » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:01 pm

was just about to congratulate you on a sterling job and well done for having a proper blokey work in progress  garage.........

but then noticed a bloody caravan !!!
ATOM 4
DEFENDER 90
CROSSTURISMO 4S
911  991.2
R1250GS

l33haw

Post by l33haw » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:15 pm

Not my caravan! Its my father in laws. His garage too, which iv gradually taken over.

The ropes are also his for tug-of-war. We are from Gloucestershire after all.

meladdo

Post by meladdo » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:28 pm

[quote="l33haw"]
Not my caravan! Its my father in laws. His garage too, which iv gradually taken over.

The ropes are also his for tug-of-war. We are from Gloucestershire after all.
[/quote]

:OT: Does he have a practise cheese as well ;D

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:06 pm

What seemed to be missing from the instructions was anything about how the fuel tank is attached to the chassis.  Found the cradle has a couple of bolts to the chassis at either side.  Is that it ?

8407jeff

Post by 8407jeff » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:31 am

?
Last edited by Guest on Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

l33haw

Post by l33haw » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:35 am

[quote="benyeats"]
What seemed to be missing from the instructions was anything about how the fuel tank is attached to the chassis.  Found the cradle has a couple of bolts to the chassis at either side.  Is that it ?
[/quote]

It's going back a while so I can't remember 100%, but I'm fairly sure its 2 each side, and maybe one in the middle underneath. Either way that's the easiest part of the job!