Removing the fuel Tank

Custom build threads. Installing a turbo, new blower, rebuilding the suspension, etc... A place to document your disease.
benyeats

Re: Removing the fuel Tank

Post by benyeats » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:06 am

[quote="l33haw"]
[quote="benyeats"]
What seemed to be missing from the instructions was anything about how the fuel tank is attached to the chassis.  Found the cradle has a couple of bolts to the chassis at either side.  Is that it ?
[/quote]

It's going back a while so I can't remember 100%, but I'm fairly sure its 2 each side, and maybe one in the middle underneath. Either way that's the easiest part of the job!
[/quote]

Brilliant was hoping you were still around!

I think if you have the engine removed it is the hardest part of the job ;)

speedmachine

Post by speedmachine » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:59 pm

[quote="benyeats"]
[quote="l33haw"]
[quote="benyeats"]
What seemed to be missing from the instructions was anything about how the fuel tank is attached to the chassis.  Found the cradle has a couple of bolts to the chassis at either side.  Is that it ?
[/quote]

It's going back a while so I can't remember 100%, but I'm fairly sure its 2 each side, and maybe one in the middle underneath. Either way that's the easiest part of the job!
[/quote]

Brilliant was hoping you were still around!

I think if you have the engine removed it is the hardest part of the job ;)
[/quote]

Hi Ben,

On the 2 you have 2 bolts on either side of the tank, left and right ánd underneath the car you have two bolts into the tub. The nut is hold inside the tub in order to release those, when you are alone you need some long arms...and you'll look like you're hugging the car
Atom 4 on its way, GR Yaris for the wet days

l33haw

Post by l33haw » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:39 pm

Ah yes, I remember car hugging now!

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:34 am

[quote="speedmachine"]
Hi Ben,

On the 2 you have 2 bolts on either side of the tank, left and right ánd underneath the car you have two bolts into the tub. The nut is hold inside the tub in order to release those, when you are alone you need some long arms...and you'll look like you're hugging the car
[/quote]

Luckily I had an assistant for the car hugging part so not so bad.

The tank was still a bit of a sod to remove even without the engine in the way.  Amazed it is possible from below.

Removing it from the cradle was interesting, it was very well stuck down, the cradle is now fairly bent but sure it can be saved / re-shaped when it is refitted to the car. 

On removing the tank from the cradle the weld along the bottom of the tank split, I guess the glue was stronger than the weld!

The other annoyance is I can't see the crack causing the original leak, hopefully a pressure test at the repair place will reveal all......

l33haw

Post by l33haw » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:55 am

I tried presure testing mine, but it proved more trouble than it was worth, and the results were inconsistent (perhaps down to the kit). The best way i found was to simply fill it up with water and trace where it's leaking from.

I know it sounds a bit risky filly with water, but it was absolutely fine. I just left it upside down for a day to get the water out, then filled it with a litre or two of petrol, swished that arounds and left it for a while longer, then disposed of that fuel.

Ran fine after.

speedmachine

Post by speedmachine » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:00 am

Why not with fuel instead of water?
Atom 4 on its way, GR Yaris for the wet days

meladdo

Post by meladdo » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:45 am

Best way is to test with air close off tank and submerge in water.....I have gone to tyre fitters locally to use there commercial tyre bath...YEP they have em..Even a standard bath will do. Failing that Petrol is the best way to test.

l33haw

Post by l33haw » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:05 pm

[quote="speedmachine"]
Why not with fuel instead of water?
[/quote]

I didnt use fuel because of cost, smell, mess, danger..... Plus with water you could easily and cheaply add a dye if you were struggling to find the leak.

Honestly, water was not problem at all.

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:19 pm

[quote="l33haw"]
I tried presure testing mine, but it proved more trouble than it was worth, and the results were inconsistent (perhaps down to the kit). The best way i found was to simply fill it up with water and trace where it's leaking from.

I know it sounds a bit risky filly with water, but it was absolutely fine. I just left it upside down for a day to get the water out, then filled it with a litre or two of petrol, swished that arounds and left it for a while longer, then disposed of that fuel.

Ran fine after.
[/quote]

Don't see what the risk is in filling it with water.  The storage tanks at your local petrol station will contain significant amounts of water, therefore so will the fuel you purchase.

As long as you don't try to run the car off a tankful of course.....

Tank is now with a motorsport fabrication company who make Ally tanks for a living, they are going to fix it.

Ben

Driver

Post by Driver » Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:36 pm

FYI: I believe CalScot had a near indentical issue with his UK II at the first AtomFest in '09. They took it down to the garage onsite and they pulled, repaired and reinstalled late into the evening. And the fault, like yours was also at the weld, if I remember correctly. Email Peter for if you need specifics I guess.

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:26 pm

[quote="Driver"]
FYI: I believe CalScot had a near indentical issue with his UK II at the first AtomFest in '09. They took it down to the garage onsite and they pulled, repaired and reinstalled late into the evening. And the fault, like yours was also at the weld, if I remember correctly. Email Peter for if you need specifics I guess.
[/quote]

Yes he had the same issue, I remember it well, which is odd for something that happened at Atomfest ;)

Good to hear from you Driver, how have you been?