Installing engine mount bushings.

Custom build threads. Installing a turbo, new blower, rebuilding the suspension, etc... A place to document your disease.
Flying Phil

Installing engine mount bushings.

Post by Flying Phil » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:22 am

Has any one experience with installing the Urethane engine mount bushings?
I'm trying to find a simple way to press the re-built assembly into the frame receiver. Lubbed it up, and the frame receiver sits on the bevelled edges, but it's a slippery little b*gger >:(

Anyone have any ideas?

AtomMadStew

Re: Installing engine mount bushings.

Post by AtomMadStew » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:19 am

Using a propper  press phil?  They are slippery little devils.  I've seen people wind them in with two bench vice. 

toms

Post by toms » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:20 am

The poly bushes should just slip in to the housing.  I think that Phil is referring to the actual mounting tabs on the chassis - if so just 'tweak' them apart slightly so they go in.  When you tighten the bolt everything will end up as it should be.

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:38 am

As is the norm with these kind of DIY things (not just talking cars here), part of the skill is in knowing how hard you can hit it!
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

Flying Phil

Post by Flying Phil » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:55 pm

[quote="Tom"]
The poly bushes should just slip in to the housing.  I think that Phil is referring to the actual mounting tabs on the chassis - if so just 'tweak' them apart slightly so they go in.  When you tighten the bolt everything will end up as it should be.
[/quote]

I thought about that. Just a little concerned about cracking the powder coat at the area where the mounting tabs bend. This may be my 'last resort' option

[quote="John Scherrer"]
As is the norm with these kind of DIY things (not just talking cars here), part of the skill is in knowing how hard you can hit it!

[/quote]

;D  ... found my rubber mallet!

Flying Phil

Post by Flying Phil » Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:39 pm

This is the perished rear bushing. About 1400 track Km's.
Attachments
Failed rear engine mount bushing.jpg

Flying Phil

Post by Flying Phil » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:32 am

Thanks to all above for your suggestions. The engine is sitting pretty with three brand new purple poly engine mount bushings. 'Spreading' the frame receivers worked great. Had to remove the rear shock to install the side mount, but no problems. Had to gently bevel the inside of one of the two poly inserts, to allow the metal insert to be pressed in without issue, plus lots of assembly lube used throughout.
The perished rear rubber bushing mount had actually allowed the metal housing to drop enough to contact the frame :-  A dab of tremclad has re-sealed that.