Turbocharge my AA2 Uk.

Custom build threads. Installing a turbo, new blower, rebuilding the suspension, etc... A place to document your disease.
Fredrik F

Re: Turbocharge my AA2 Uk.

Post by Fredrik F » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:50 pm

[quote="Stew Bartley"]
nice work.  :tu:  sure looks tight in there, wont the heat from the turbo/cat push up the air inlet temps being so close to the intercooler?
[/quote]

Thanks.
Yes I am a bit worried about the heat but we will isolate all the pipes and the exhaust.
I keep my fingers crossed that it will work.

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:39 am

[quote="Stew Bartley"]
something like this should help?[/quote]

If the Atom is run with the rear covers installed, there won't be a lot of airflow through the radiator, regardless of whether the exhaust is wrapped or not.

ragezx14r

Post by ragezx14r » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:50 am

Try a ceramic coating for the exhaust. I had mine done on the Rage Buggy after the heat wrap caught fire!

After running 15 laps at a trackday and coming in to give the car a rest i could touch the exhaust after 45 secs and not get burned!

I used these guys. Very reasonably priced

http://www.camcoat.com/

Darren

AtomMadStew

Post by AtomMadStew » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:23 pm

the atom V8 has a coated exhaust.... i wonder who Ariel use for that, or if the exhaust comes pre-coated delivered to the factory.  just a thought

ragezx14r

Post by ragezx14r » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:25 pm

Camcoat charged me £250 for 4x header pipes, one middle pipe inc cat and the silencer.

Zircotec also provide this service although through a slightly different method i believe but they wanted over £1k for similar results.?

I was quite happy with the results from Camcoat thank you very much.

Darren
Last edited by ragezx14r on Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:20 am

[quote="ragezx14r"]
Camcoat charged me £250 for 4x header pipes, one middle pipe inc cat and the silencer.

Zircoat also provide this service although through a slightly different method i believe but they wanted over £1k for the same results.?

I was quite happy with the results from Camcoat thank you very much.

Darren
[/quote]

Spooky, I was about to start a thread about where to get an exhaust header coated, no need now.  What colour did you have? 

ragezx14r

Post by ragezx14r » Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:38 am

I had mine done in black. They can do red, green, white, silver and even a chrome effect i think amongst others.

I had to take photos of the exhaust for them to give me a price. Then there was a two week lead time. Very good finish and cooled the engine bay down a lot.

I was also told that as the hot gases are kept inside the exhaust and the outside of the exhaust is cool it acts as a vacuum and expells the exhaust gases quicker and as a result enhances performance.

Zircotec use plasma spray and is expensive       

Camcoat do a nice red for those with red panels      http://www.camcoat.com/main/cilgen-red/black/

Darren

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:41 pm

[quote="ragezx14r"]
I had mine done in black. They can do red, green, white, silver and even a chrome effect i think amongst others.

I had to take photos of the exhaust for them to give me a price. Then there was a two week lead time. Very good finish and cooled the engine bay down a lot.

I was also told that as the hot gases are kept inside the exhaust and the outside of the exhaust is cool it acts as a vacuum and expells the exhaust gases quicker and as a result enhances performance.

Zircotec use plasma spray and is expensive         

Camcoat do a nice red for those with red panels       http://www.camcoat.com/main/cilgen-red/black/

Darren

[/quote]

White is very appealing but as I understand it is a matte finish so will show up oily finger prints rather well. 

Fredrik F

Post by Fredrik F » Sun May 15, 2011 6:36 pm

Now the car is finally finished. I have test driven all weekend and the first trip was a joy mingled with terror.
The acceleration is so f ** king massive up to at least 130-135mph. I have not been able to run faster than that for the moment, but there are definitely more left down to the floor (5 Gear)
I have not yet tested the sixth gear.

I have about 400whp now. ;D

The first trackday I Have next weekend. Then we'll see when I demean all Porsches, Ferraris etc. ;) ;D

ragezx14r

Post by ragezx14r » Sun May 15, 2011 7:32 pm

Please get some footage and post it  ;D

Darren

Fredrik F

Post by Fredrik F » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:41 am

Here you have the pic.
Attachments
IMG_0586 redi.jpg
IMG_0586 redi.jpg (63.79 KiB) Viewed 643 times
IMG_0585 redi.jpg
IMG_0585 redi.jpg (59.21 KiB) Viewed 654 times

Fredrik F

Post by Fredrik F » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:45 am

More
Attachments
IMG_0587 redi.jpg

Fredrik F

Post by Fredrik F » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:47 am

Turbo and airfilter.
Attachments
IMG_0588 redi.jpg

Fredrik F

Post by Fredrik F » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:54 am

Exhaust and (swe: "dumpventil") I dont know the english word for that.
Attachments
IMG_0591 redi.jpg