Chat:Silver's ecotec atom 2 upgrades

Custom build threads. Installing a turbo, new blower, rebuilding the suspension, etc... A place to document your disease.
Gage

Re: Chat:Silver's ecotec atom 2 upgrades

Post by Gage » Sun May 02, 2010 3:24 am

[quote="silver"]
final results as best as I can justify them

3rd pull versus 3rd pull both on dyno jet both without any wait time

before mods 225whp 189 tq after mods  270 whp 234 tq

gain 45whp 45tq... and no more heatsoak.
[/quote]

Congratulations on the project progress Silver!!!  You now have one of the fastest Atoms in the world.

I am very impressed at how much money you saved over a custom hoop mounted inter-cooler while still gaining what appears to be a massive improvement in cooling efficiency.  (130 dollars vs. 2k or better)  What are the cons?  Leg room? 

What future improvements, if any, are you entertaining?

I'm very curious what kind of temperatures, knock numbers, and timing you would produce on a track like Hallet or Laguna Seca, an acid test of sorts. 

Thank you for sharing so much information on this forum.

Are you ready for more power yet?  ;D

mobilerobbie

Re: Silver's ecotec upgrades and Harrop swap

Post by mobilerobbie » Sun May 02, 2010 7:50 am

reading your story on the Harrop and the coolers, I can tell you that by fitting sidepods to your Atom you have not only terrible good looks, but also space enough to fit an chargecooler on each side....
I placed 1 cooler first leading to a air/watertemp for the inletair of 25 degrees celcius over ambient....
By placing a second one (the coolers are actually cabinheaters of a fiat panda at 25 euro each) the temp got down to 12 degrees over ambient, perfect!!

Here's a pic of the final result:
Attachments
Ariel profi foto's breedbeeld.jpg

silver

Post by silver » Sun May 02, 2010 3:34 pm

that's Great!  did you purchase the side pods or were they made somewhere?

silver

Post by silver » Sun May 02, 2010 3:49 pm

Thanks it's been a long battle with the heat, especially in this climate, the Northern atoms probably have much less to worry about with the heat as their ambients are typically so much lower.

The seats are moved up about an inch off the back wall BUT, my seat has to be moved up further than that for me to fit anyways, and to help out my passengers I removed the footrest so they just basically moved up from economy class to first class with regards to legroom.

as far as power..well I raced an R6 yesterday, twice, I won one, he won one....I think we're almost dead even, and for now this is enough power.....for the current tires (a048's) the power is reaching their grip limit on acceleration in 3rd gear, so, IF I ever go for more power it will have to include changing to slicks also, which probably means upgraded uprights and upgraded pushrods...which is why I'm so happy with the exact set up as is.

I'm curious as to what the IAT2's will hit on track also BUT, in order to interpret the data we'd have to know how much time you have to stay above those temps for the computer to pull timing.

On my dyno runs I'm at 17 degrees timing, 0 knock, we tried 19 degrees timing but it had a hint of knock and no significant power gain, so we went back to 17.

mobilerobbie

Post by mobilerobbie » Mon May 03, 2010 10:08 am

bought them from the German Ariel dealer.....

s996

Post by s996 » Sun May 16, 2010 11:34 pm

the relentless persuit of perfection

Gage

Post by Gage » Mon May 17, 2010 1:21 am

[quote="silver"]
went for a 80 mile street drive today, temps were in the 90's, IAT1 was right around 100 and the IAT2's were at 140 and would not get cooler

so I have about a 40 degree increase at best from IAT1 to IAT2, wish it was 20 degrees.
[/quote]

You can hit me for repeating myself Silver but man I can't wait to see Track testing with sustained maximum rpms...  :pop:

silver

Post by silver » Mon May 17, 2010 1:28 am

me 2......honestly it will probably be better than on the street...

On the street I go as fast as I do on the track..actually probably faster on the street than some tracks, BUT, then I have to sit at stop lights, which doesn't give the system any air flow to recover.

at least on a track you're going for 20 minutes without having to come to a complete stop, waiting at street lights for 5 minutes sometimes is when the temps go way up.

Speedytec

Post by Speedytec » Tue May 18, 2010 4:43 pm

[quote="silver"]

.....waiting at street lights for 5 minutes sometimes is when the temps go way up.
[/quote]

So you need a fan there to keep things cool...  :tu:

silver

Post by silver » Tue May 18, 2010 4:45 pm

I have a fan on the front factory one but it's the stock "oil cooler" the back one doesn't have a fan but probably would benefit somewhat at stop lights with a fan....If I can find one that fits...not much room between the seats