Silver's ecotec upgrades and Harrop swap

Custom build threads. Installing a turbo, new blower, rebuilding the suspension, etc... A place to document your disease.
silver

Re: Silver's ecotec upgrades and Harrop swap and intercooler upgrade

Post by silver » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:46 am

So I have added a 2nd intercooler.....I purchased it to put up front but it was too wide to fit, then last night it hit me....after talking to Positron about the original location on his tiny intercooler I decided to see if mine would fit on the firewall...sure enough it fits.

So since I gave Ray the WRONG direction of flow for the intercooler pump, I thought might as well correct the flow AND add the intercooler too.

Took about an hour to fit it all up....zip tied to the frame with the firewall removed.  The intercooler gets tons of air between the seats, not so much where it's behind the seats but hell, can't hurt right.

Well here's the results.

Eariler today with my car fully dyno'd and system bled perfectly, my car would sit around 125 at the lowest....Now it sits at 112-114 at the lowest.  After adding the new intercooler I really didn't spend much time bleeding the system so I'm not 100% how well I bled it....I filled it with water for the test.

I did several runs at 30-50% throttle in 3rd or 4th gear and it never got above 130 which is about 10 degrees better...............I did several runs to redline at full throttle all the way through 3rd and about 6000 rpm in 4th at about 125mph.....it shot up to 168, but went back down to 125 by the time I slowed back down to about 80mph.

So what's the conclusion...I think I'll permanently mount it....I don't think it's stopping the max IAT2 from climbing but it sure is helping it drop back down FAST.

so does that mean I've helped the heat soak?

silver

Re: Silver's ecotec upgrades and Harrop swap

Post by silver » Sat May 01, 2010 3:48 am

it's really a perfect fit behind the seats it does get a lot of air between the seats but obviously not much airflow where the seats block it

here's the view from the front of the car

view from above, it's mounted 1 inch off the firewall so the air can escape

I rerouted the plumbing so the current flow is

Pump, --> passenger side-->factory intercooler with fitted bleed valve--> back down passenger side -->up to dual bypass endplate going in the middle one-->out the top and bottom of the endplate-->into the new intercooler also fitted with bleed valve-->out of the new intercooler back to the pump.

both bleed valves meet up in a Y to the surge tank located in the hoop, and the system bled amazingly well once I filled it up.  I will be buttoning it up tonight and praying to the weather gods for no rain in the morning and taking it to cars and coffee on it's brand new rear tires :)

If all goes well tomorrow I'll also be going to a dyno days on a dynojet because I think it would be good for readers to see the difference that 2 dynos will show for power.  
Last edited by silver on Sat May 01, 2010 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

silver

Post by silver » Sat May 01, 2010 4:02 am

Results so far are

1st dyno with 500 miles on the car Dynojet 220whp car 100% bone stock

2nd dyno with more miles 1st pull   233whp 209tq    after installation of fortress performance exhaust and this shows the heatsoak
                                   2nd pull  229whp 200tq
                                   3rd pull   225whp 189tq
                                   4th pull   214whp 182tq
                                   5th pull   207whp 174 tq

3rd dyno with exhaust and water injection on mustang dyno

1st pull 238whp
                                   2nd pull 231whp
                                   3rd pull 229whp

4th dyno with exhaust intake harrop stock intercooler new pump but flow wrong direction 60lb injectors and tune on same mustang dyno as 3rd dyno

1st pull 276whp
                                   2nd pull 277whp
                                   3rd pull 278whp 238tq

5th dyno same upgrades as 4th dyno but with the addition of the 2nd intercooler on dynojet

1st pull 274 whp 232 tq
                                  2nd pull 262whp 230 tq
                                  3rd pull 270 whp 234tq

the 5th dyno was done all 3 pulls immediately after each other....no heat soak..OMG I did it...mission accomplished.
Last edited by silver on Sat May 01, 2010 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

silver

Post by silver » Sat May 01, 2010 7:56 am

it's almost 3am....wakeup is in 4.5 hours.  I have finally completely put the car back together and then some.

1:  put all rear body panels back on
2:  re-attach center cubby to console and center console to car, it's been undone for almost 1 year
3:  replace nose cone with new one, was damaged 2.5 years ago and I have been saving the new one for a special occasion...this is it, no more half baked nose cone.
4:  while nose cone is off might as well take advantage and put protection on the front radiator  :tu:
5:  remove passenger foot rest, its no use anymore, the seats need to be about 1/2 to 1 inch off the intercooler so only a person around 5'4" could fit in the passenger with footrest comfortably, seems like I have more drain holes now  ;D
6:  install aeroforce gauge.....a gift from a good friend
7:  step back and enjoy....I can honestly say I am more in love with this car than I have been since I collected it....perhaps even more than that because I have accomplished my goal 2 years in the making.
Last edited by silver on Sat May 01, 2010 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

silver

Post by silver » Sat May 01, 2010 7:26 pm

final results as best as I can justify them

3rd pull versus 3rd pull both on dyno jet both without any wait time

before mods 225whp 189 tq after mods  270 whp 234 tq

gain 45whp 45tq... and no more heatsoak.

silver

Post by silver » Sun May 16, 2010 11:02 pm

went for a 80 mile street drive today, temps were in the 90's, IAT1 was right around 100 and the IAT2's were at 140 and would not get cooler

so I have about a 40 degree increase at best from IAT1 to IAT2, wish it was 20 degrees.

silver

Post by silver » Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:07 am

new intercooler with fans is fitted up front....over budget and over time as usual....and lackluster results to boot.

I've proven one thing which I wasn't certain of before which is the coolant is getting hot now.

Before I would feel the intercooler and it was warm to the touch at the hottest....not it's HOT, and the coolant (I stuck my finger in the surge tank) is HOT.

next step remove the rear intercooler, replace it with a 3.5 gallon reservoir in line so that the capacity of the system increases from 1 gallon ish to almost 5 gallons.....it will take a lot longer to heat up the coolant when there's 400% more of it.

silver

Post by silver » Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:19 am

Oh another change is that with the oil cooler removed and the "intercooler" up front the coolant flows WAY WAY WAY Faster...not sure if that's good or bad...I think with such a small amount of coolant it might not have enough time in the intercooler up front...so slower may have been better...until there's more coolant with the addition of a reservoir then it might be best to have the bigger pump.

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:04 am

Similar to other 'radiator' applications, would be useful if you could temporary fix one of those water temp gauges (used in domestic central heating) to the input and output side of the radiator and measure the temp difference.

There's an optimum point where the flow is just right and the radiator is working most efficiently.

If the temp out is equal to the temp in (or too similar), it aint working !
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

silver

Post by silver » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:03 pm

I have not fitted a rear reservoir, but I have fixed the leaks, got the electronic gremlins sorted out, and now having the bonnets repainted from the cow chewing incident.

Also I removed the supertrapps, I just don't like the way they look or sound so I might make a hp less but it's totally worth it.