Silver's ecotec upgrades and Harrop swap

Custom build threads. Installing a turbo, new blower, rebuilding the suspension, etc... A place to document your disease.
silver

Silver's ecotec upgrades and Harrop swap

Post by silver » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:55 pm

HAHA I just saw Driver just made a subforum for posts exactly like this one, I'll be sure to update it as I go and post pics here as well.

at this point I'm basically done with stage 1, which is doing all the pre-swap upgrades

upgrades include
fortress performance exhaust with optional supertrapps
upgraded intercooler pump (purchased online for $89 plus $12 for harness)
reversed flow on pump (labor and tubes)
side air intake with perrin filter (purchased filter online, maf bung online, had filter tube made and installed by Fortress)
surge tank from summit (same as Eddie Hill) relocated to be inside the hoop, so it's at the highest point in the system brackets made by Fortress
bleed valve installed on factory intercooler (intercooler will be upgraded to custom most)
valve cover breather filter installed.

At this point I'm ready to test the car with IAT2's for improvements with the pump upgrade and reversing the flow b/c I don't think anyone's tested that part of the upgrade.  To be realistic I'm hoping for a 10 degree drop in IAT2's over completely stock.

My IAT2's are like this.

pump not on 180 degrees = under 200whp
pump on with flow 168 degrees = 238whp
new pump reversed flow (will fill in later) hoping for no higher than 158 not going to dyno
custom intercooler (will fill in later) hoping will be 20 degrees cooler not going to dyno
harrop swap (will fill in later) hoping will be 30 degrees cooler based on what cobalt owners have seen. will dyno expecting 300whp

with these changes we should stay under the 130 IAT2 mark and see 0 heat soak with the harrop thus harnessing the true potential it can give as proven by Norm 330whp Smiley

Let me know if you have questions specific to my build over on the Chat Thread Here...
Last edited by silver on Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

silver

Re: Silver's ecotec upgrades and Harrop swap

Post by silver » Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:02 pm

Whew just got it back ;D

pics here

New Larger pump mounted in custom bracketry that bolts the pump in at the back and cradles it in nice and snug

Reversed the flow of the pump so that the hose coming out of the laminova tubes goes into the inlet of the pump

Overflow tank relocation to where the original air intake filter sat, all the filter / coolant bottle bracket is in one piece he started from scratch to make this work.

This is what it looks like if you look in from the front where the air filter used to be.

From the back with the body panels taken off

This allows the valve cover breather filter to be easily accessible for oil changes

New spark plug cover plate and new brackets were fabbed up to hold the factory coolant bottle and the intercooler surge tank

Air intake with Perrin Filter

Air intake with Perrin Filter

Last edited by silver on Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

silver

Post by silver » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:39 pm

Here's video of the bleed line and surge tank in action, look at them bubbles.

when I had this hooked up with the stock pump, it didn't have enough balls to push the liquid into the surge tank, so one more reason to upgrade to the bigger pump

silver

Post by silver » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:34 pm

update Harrops did arrive in Michigan, so will arrive within a week or so...looks like I've got plans for next weekend.

silver

Post by silver » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:39 am

eaton removal tonight...harrop install tomorrow...crossing fingers, will post pics as I go if there's anything I find important to note.

silver

Post by silver » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:41 pm

so far only note is I am following DDMworks directions and they say to take the bolt out for the Map sensor but I don't know why....so I'm leaving it in for now.

also

check it

scary box

more holes

but this is what was inside...looks military grade

silver

Post by silver » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:06 am

I said Map sensor I meant supercharger sensor thingy...whatever whoopsies.

Anyways.

new blower's in all is well.....tune won't load on ecu so will tackle that tomorrow, so far so good, total time took 3 hours, items needed to install harrop was

new longer belt for the larger pulley
new vaccum hose b/c the vaccum solenoid for the blower is on the front now versus on rear of the eaton so I needed a longer length vaccum hose to connect it.

silver

Post by silver » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:03 am

It's alive!!!! battery charged up a little and she cranked right up...seems to idle fine and rev'd it a few times to about 3000rpm....nothing crazy since it's late at night and I'm not going to test drive till tomorrow or saturday.

But so far so good, no leaks, seems to be running

silver

Post by silver » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:36 pm

have adjusted the tune 2 times, so far so good, haven't given it the beans yet, just light acceleration driving and retuning.

silver

Post by silver » Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:00 am

Ok so far done about 5 renditions to the tune, feels good so far still haven't given it the full throttle treatment but that will happen early tomorrow morning.

I drove it a bit with the aeroforce hooked up ...IAT1 stuck right at ambient of 80, IAT2 upon startup of the car after sitting for only about 30 minutes started at 136 and quickly cooled off down to 114 at the lowest point, top speed was only 30mph as I was driving home at night and stilll not tuned, but, it does seem like that's considerably lower than the eaton was running, with the stock pump, direction of flow and eaton the temps would NOT go down ever...with the new pump, flow, harrop they dropped 20 degrees in 10 seconds upon acceleration, which is promising.

For the tune, I gave it maybe 50% throttle or less, took it up no higher than 6000 rpm and it feels good, can't tell if it's faster or slower but no bucking, no drive-ability issues, in fact at slower speeds it will allow you to drive in a higher gear without stumbling...aka I can drive 20 mph in 3rd gear and it will accelerate smoothly...didn't used to do that, it used to buck if you were in to high of a gear for the mph.

tomorrow is the cars and bikes show so I'm going to run there and back with the wideband hoping to see some data live.....it seems from revving it in the garage with the wideband tonight that it idles around 13-15, then when you stab the throttle it goes right to 11.XX, hard to tell exactly what it's going to as the numbers move VERY fast but, I'll have a passenger tomorrow to help me watch the numbers.

cross your fingers please!!

silver

Post by silver » Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:08 am

OK drove it one time today with a passenger watching my A/F ratio for me.....put it in 3rd gear at 20mph....took off...clutch slipped like a mofo..whoopsies haha...ok reengaged clutch and did a full throttle 3rd gear pull.....11.XX a/f all the way until about 3500 rpm then it started climbing and my passenger had me get out of it at 6000 rpm because it had just peaked over 13 A/F...so looks like we need to add more fuel up top but I'm honestly surprised that with no wideband up to this point that he could get the A/F ratio pretty dead on for 1/2 the rpm range.

more on monday as the tuner's out this weekend.

Hoping to have final dyno tuning complete by friday as Saturday is Cars and Coffee and I plan on attending and going for a LONG drive after :)

silver

Post by silver » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:28 am

So I'm changing the oil along with the oil pressure switch...guess what...you can't remove the oil filter cap once you install the harrop.

problem is that normally you can pull the shifter cables out of the way but now with the harrop intsalled you can not pull them towards you to get them away from the top of the cap, the vaccum thing is way lower than before and in the way so the cables can't be pulled towards you at all. :doh:

F it...i'm putting the cap back on and filling it up with oil...I'll let someone else figure out how to make this work.

I did try putting the transmission in every gear and nuetral before I realized the supercharger was basically making it impossible.

silver

Re: Silver's ecotec upgrades and Harrop swap COMPLETE WITH DYNO

Post by silver » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:52 pm

Last edited by silver on Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

silver

Post by silver » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:26 pm

this was on a dream killer mustang dyno....

I'd like to thank Vince at Trifecta for tuning
took him only 1 revision on the dyno to get me at this level

0 knock, 19lbs of boost.

According to Vince my tuner and Steve the local tuner /dyno guy, this should equal 300whp on a dynojet.

just to prove them right / wrong I'll go to a dynojet on saturday to see, there's a local dyno day going on on saturday so for $50 bux why not.

as for tuning I'm done AND VERY SATISFIED

the car drives like a champ....can't believe how well it pulls.

heat soak is still kind of an issue, but it really depends................if I drive at 60-80mph and cruise it's not an issue it stays below 150....if I accelerate long in 3rd or 4th it will go up to 150 then go back down and settle at 120 - 125. 

the problem is driving at 40mph or less the IAT2's don't recover they will stay approximately at what it was before...so I need to check to make sure the fan is still running all the time and lastly I think I'm going to install that intercooler that was too big for the front on the firewall.....good news is it really doesn't stay above 130 and before it would stay at 150 under cruise

silver

Post by silver » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:55 pm

it's exactly what I was looking for.

no correction, we're at like 500 feet of elevation so they don't do corrections...plus I'll put it on a dynojet saturday (weather prohibiting) to get a better comparison between me and Norm as his was done on a dyno jet.

I'm sending you back the wideband today