Chat: Eddie FourFather Hill Atom II Ecotec Performance Upgrades

Custom build threads. Installing a turbo, new blower, rebuilding the suspension, etc... A place to document your disease.
FourFather

Re: Chat: Eddie FourFather Hill Atom II Ecotec Performance Upgrades

Post by FourFather » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:29 pm

The project is still very much alive, but  I have been held up, for a long time now, waiting for my engine block to have the Darton sleeves installed. My machine work was just about to be done, when the shop moved from one location to another, and moving and installing all those machines and getting them wired and set up has taken a while. They finished my CNC porting on my cylinder head, before the move, and the work they do appears flawless. So I'm willing to wait, for experienced, quality work.

I've had my new 2011 Honda powered Atom 3 to the track three times already, to Hallett and to Eagles Canyon, and I believe with equal tires it is faster than my 252 WHP slightly modified Ecotec was.  :tu: So I'm not missing any track time, and that helps the wait.

But all the chatter about the Atom V-8 has inspired me to get my upgrades done and see what the performance level is going to be!

Thanks for asking.

Eddie :)
Last edited by FourFather on Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FourFather

Post by FourFather » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:41 pm

Hooray!  My block is back from the machine shop, with the Darton sleeves installed, and I am starting the reassembly!

Crankshaft sitting in the block

Checking crankshaft end play at  .007"

Girdle/maincaps reinstalled

Eddie ;D
Last edited by FourFather on Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FourFather

Post by FourFather » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:30 pm

I made a couple of tools to line up and install the balance shaft delete bushings-

Using a "rod bolt stretch micrometer" to find out how much torque it takes to get the specified .005" to .0065" stretch.

It is great to be finally going back together!

Eddie ;D

FourFather

Post by FourFather » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:37 am

Here is the Diamond forged piston, 90 mm, noticeably larger than the standard 86 mm, good for about a 10% increase in displacement, from 2.0 to 2.2 liters, or from 122 cubic inches to 134 cubic inches.

And the Darton sleeves

Eddie ;D

Chad

Post by Chad » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:37 am

Hi Fourfather, I've been following your wonderful build with great interest.  Is there an existing thread where I can read more about the wheels and tires you use?  I'd like to know what options there are for wide wheels and tires, whether the tires are soft enough.  If it's all good I expect it will help greatly with traction at a high power level, and higher cornering grip. 

FourFather

Post by FourFather » Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:38 pm

Hi, Chad,

Please excuse the tardy reply- lately I've been working on getting my engine and chassis upgrade finished, and not on the forums that much.  We have discussed tires and wheels some time ago, but I don't recall the name/dates of the thread.  Perhaps someone else may remember, and pitch in here?

AtomMadStew

Post by AtomMadStew » Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:11 pm

from the other pic on your build your cylinder head is red.. is this a coating that is permanent eddie?  its looking great by the way. :tu:

FourFather

Post by FourFather » Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:44 pm

The red is engine paint.  I have used it on engines for years in my car and boat drag racers, and it holds up surprisingly well.

Thanks for the compliment- I like it too.

Eddie ;D

FourFather

Post by FourFather » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:43 pm

The car is all back together, finally, and running good enough to hit over 11,000 RPM! during an accidental overspeed when the 350 HP-rated clutch suddenly quit holding, while  at full throttle in fourth gear at the end of the longest straightaway at Eagles Canyon.

Sure makes me glad I used only the very best parts in the engine, because it survived with no damage!  And I have run another full track day since, without having to do anything to the engine because of the over rev.

My GM Chevy Cobalt engine computer is pulling ignition timing because of too-high Intake air temps (IAT2), so I need to work on that, but the car is fast, even with less-than-desirable ignition timing. 

We sold three new 2013 Ariel Atom 3's last month, and the motorcycle/ATV part of my dealership is quite busy, so this Ecotec upgrade project doesn't get much of my time.  But it seems like it will really be a hoot, once it is completely sorted out!  :vroom: :checkeredflag:

Eddie ;D

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:30 pm

Brilliant news Eddie in these hard times !

Once you sort those high temperatures, there's probably a bit more power to come  :tu:
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

FourFather

Post by FourFather » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:33 pm

[quote="John Scherrer"]
Brilliant news Eddie in these hard times !

Once you sort those high temperatures, there's probably a bit more power to come  :tu:
[/quote]

Thanks, John.  Yes, our business efforts have been quite blessed lately, and we are certainly grateful for it.

The ignition timing was all the way back to 11 degrees at the end of the last session, so there is definitely more
power to be had by cooling down the intake temps, so the computer does not retard timing.

Eddie  ;D

Jacob Potts

Post by Jacob Potts » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:22 am

Eddie:

PM sent.

Thanks,

Jacob

FourFather

Post by FourFather » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:45 am

Jacob, you have a  PM answer.

:wize:    Please be VERY cautious/careful.  ;)

Last edited by FourFather on Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

speedmachine

Post by speedmachine » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:23 am

[quote="FourFather"]
Jacob, you have a  PM answer.

:wize:    Please be VERY cautious/careful.  ;)

[/quote]

hmmm...now i'm curious!

And I was looking for your pic which shows how much lateral G's you pulled on the track, i wanted to show it to someone, but can't find it back...
Last edited by speedmachine on Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Atom 4 on its way, GR Yaris for the wet days

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:30 pm

Attachments
2012July4thTraqDashEcotec011.jpg
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold