Chat: Eddie FourFather Hill Atom II Ecotec Performance Upgrades

Custom build threads. Installing a turbo, new blower, rebuilding the suspension, etc... A place to document your disease.
FourFather

Re: Chat: Eddie FourFather Hill Atom II Ecotec Performance Upgrades

Post by FourFather » Tue May 11, 2010 9:39 pm

Being TOO rich hurts power  :wize:, being too LEAN hurts engines  :o, feelings, budgets, and track time.

Strive for balance in all things  ;)

Eddie ;D

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Tue May 11, 2010 10:41 pm

And before you ask Silver.. Your fine on your tune

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:38 am

[quote="FourFather"]
Goodies arrived!  :tu:

I had a set of Carrillo rods in my Lola T-70 coupe for 33 years! Of course it was more of a garage queen, and used only occasionally, and on the street, but it still saw some spirited driving with over 7000 rpm, quite a few times in that 33 years. All on the same set of rods with no problems, so a natural choice for this LSJ project-

[/quote]

I think you will have to pass the 1000HP level to stress those. Mama...! :drool:
Last edited by Heywood-Yablowme on Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Radowick

Post by Radowick » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:02 pm

I haven't seen this post in a few months and what a surprise to see to what lengths this task has gone thru since my last visit.
 These shots of all these new parts are so cool. 
Last edited by Radowick on Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

FourFather

Post by FourFather » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:55 pm

Thanks, Spanky, and now we have received a larger throttle body, adjustable-indexing cam gears, ARP head stud kit, and ARP flywheel bolts. Pictures in the build thread.

And thank you for hand-delivering the parts I bought from you and congratulations on your new ride! Bring it up sometime when you have more time, and we'll take the drive around the East side of Lake Arrowhead. Smooth pavement, lotsa turns, and a few elevation changes. :tu:

Eddie ;D

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:25 pm

Are you still going with the 9.5:1 compression Eddie?  That seems like a lot of work to run stock compression.

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:49 pm

Inconel valves..holy mutha of internal combustion! That is serious stuff. :tu: :tu:   Oops..sorry,I forgot about the no comment rule.Feel free to delete... :drool:

Moved to the right topic  ;D
Last edited by Heywood-Yablowme on Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

FourFather

Post by FourFather » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:00 am

My cylinder head is finished and back here in Wichita Falls

The Diamond forged pistons are done, and they are now at M2Race in New Jersey, so they can do the Darton sleeve installation and then the torque-plate honing of the cylinder bores with the actual pistons in hand. I requested 9.0 to one compression ratio or lower, but I haven't yet seen the pistons or paperwork on them, so don't yet know the final compression ratio.

The lower the (static, or mechanical) compression ratio, the more air/fuel you are able to run through the engine before the onset of detonation, and therefore the more horsepower you can make, if the supercharger, porting, camshaft profile and valve train, etc. are happy with the increased air flow.

My 6000 hp top fuel engine ran 6.0 to 6.5 compression ratio, but a huge supercharger with a lot of overdrive, and 40+ pounds of boost!

Eddie ;D

FourFather

Post by FourFather » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:08 am

Red dots on the head-

The head was CNC-ported by M2 Race Systems in New Jersey, and they also installed the oversize Supertech valves. Then Diamond Racing Products in Michigan wanted the modified head so they could scan the combustion chamber with the new valves, and check the volume of the combustion chamber--all so they could design the Diamond piston domes to accommodate the valves and arrive at the 9.0 or less compression ratio I specified. They did not explain the dots, but I'm sure they are part of the computer-scanning process.

Eddie 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is NO SUCH THING as TOO MUCH HORSEPOWER"
My Build Page | Build Comments
Authorized Ariel Atom Dealer !

FourFather

Post by FourFather » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:16 am

Max-

Inconel valves did a good job for us, even in our top fuel operation, with EGT's (Exhaust Gas Temperatures) that routinely ran 1,750 degrees F, and we sometimes saw over 2000 degrees!! :o :o

They are probably overkill for this application, but it seems that the best parts you can get are the the most cost-effective in the long run, especially if you make big power--

Eddie ;D

payne

Post by payne » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:34 pm

Do you have a tuner in mind?  I have a good friend out here in San Francisco that is a wizard with HP Tuners, if you're looking and willing to travel.

JP

silver

Post by silver » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:59 pm

[quote="payne"]
Do you have a tuner in mind?  I have a good friend out here in San Francisco that is a wizard with HP Tuners, if you're looking and willing to travel.

JP
[/quote]

Eddie....The Man...is his own tuner  :tu: ;D

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:44 pm

This year, I had two turbos fall off engines,as they were originally installed with "something other than" Inconel studs. It is an amazing alloy.Very costly,and difficult to work,but pretty much indestructible.

Do it once,but do it right.  Very nice indeed!! ;) :tu:

FourFather

Post by FourFather » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:13 pm

Hey, Silver- OFF TOPIC for just a bit- I'm going to Eagles Canyon this coming Saturday Nov 20, with my new personal/company demo Ariel Atom 3, and my first Atom 3 customer is planning to come and also his friend with his Atom II, so that is three Atoms already.

Come join us, and spread the word! The weather prediction is 70's and sun! :drool:

Eddie ;D

McFred

Post by McFred » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:27 pm

Any updates on the ecotec build, Eddie, or is it on the back burner now that you have the AA3 300?