READ ME - Custom Build Threads - Expanded Technical Sub Area

Custom build threads. Installing a turbo, new blower, rebuilding the suspension, etc... A place to document your disease.
Driver

READ ME - Custom Build Threads - Expanded Technical Sub Area

Post by Driver » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:51 am

Custom Build Threads - New Expanded Technical Sub Area

Welcome to the Custom Build Thread!

This subject has come up on other forums and has been requested here. Mainly that, on so many places, a build thread gets contaminated and sidelined into talk that has nothing to do with the original desire of the person that started the topic. So to accomodate the person that wants a REAL build thread, a magazine of what they are doing to their Atom, without the chatter destroying the integrity of it (thread-jacking), we're trying this.

Just few basic rules so this area stays orderly:
  • You must be a member of the "BuildGroup" to start and participate in the thread here. One agrees by joining the group not to pollute the Author build thread and keep comments to their discussion thread only.
  • Any other type of threads or comments will be deleted outright or if the moderator is feeling generous they might move it into the regular technical forum
  • All talk about the build(s) will be in a followup thread clearly linked to in the first post. Please leave the the original for status updates from the Author
  • To start a thread a author agrees to generating two New Topics named similarly, ie: "Build: Drivers' 1000hp AWD Atom 1" & "Chat: Drivers' 1000hp AWD Atom 1"
Please respect the original posters thread and do not hijack it or derail it.

I'll tweek this as we go along... We'll see how well it works. Bear with us.
Last edited by Driver on Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Heywood-Yablowme

Re: READ ME - Custom Build Threads - Expanded Technical Sub Area

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:39 pm

Jesus..more friggin rules. I just asked a few questions on Eddies build thread..so I guess that's not allowed?  Holy sh1t....you better go delete it..:P I moved my comments to the "chit-chat" thread.
Last edited by Heywood-Yablowme on Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Driver

Post by Driver » Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:06 am

Once people get used to it then it'll be easy. It was requested this way.

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:42 am

Ah..yes..so proper!  Well done!

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:28 am

I can't believe that I'm agreeing with Max!

This is nuts and goes completely against the ethos of the club that I founded. Discussion should be free to roam. That's how fresh ideas are created.

I would however point out that the other club I founded also originally had no rules at all. However, within a few months of serious parties, we decided to introduce just a single rule: "Nudity is discouraged".
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

Driver

Post by Driver » Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:27 am

It was asked for because the tendency for threads to go SO FAR off topic they never return or just plain have to dig through pages of posts to get to the real content... And it was just asked for as a build thread. If it doesn't work, we'll go back to the wild wild west. Its a experiment and if people don't want to (or can't) we can always throw it into the regular technical area, delete the sub-area and resign ourselves to being seriously ADHD.  ???

And Bruce, you had at least one more rule, no advertising... :)

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:20 pm

[quote="Driver"]
It was asked for because the tendency for threads to go SO FAR off topic they never return or just plain have to dig through pages of posts to get to the real content... And it was just asked for as a build thread. If it doesn't work, we'll go back to the wild wild west. Its a experiment and if people don't want to (or can't) we can always throw it into the regular technical area, delete the sub-area and resign ourselves to being seriously ADHD.  ???

And Bruce, you had at least one more rule, no advertising... :)
[/quote]

Wouldn't it be better to have a wiki sort of thing rather than a forum for that?

Or even better, a bit of the main website for which submissions were made?

I just don't think a forum is appropriate for that.

Oh, and I always allowed advertising from day one. IN fact three years ago, I wrote: "You may use this forum for sale, trade, or purchase". But just in the one 'for sale and wanted' section... ;) I even had a networking section on the main site originally...
Last edited by Bruce Fielding on Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

Gage

Post by Gage » Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:07 pm

[quote="Driver"]
It was asked for because the tendency for threads to go SO FAR off topic they never return or just plain have to dig through pages of posts to get to the real content...
[/quote]

It always happens.  I've seen it on a dozen car forums.  The separation is a necessary evil.

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:20 pm

Necessary? Only if you see the evil. It's like having a discussion..but then having to leave the room if you want to respond...

Well..whatever it takes to keep everyone happy!

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:34 pm

I'm going to agree with Bruce and Max on this one.  If you want to document your build without interruption, then create yourself a webpage and host it yourself.  Forums are for communicating with each other, not hosting your own personal webpage.

silver

Post by silver » Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:39 pm

my only question is you write "it was requested, they requested" types of statements,

Who requested it, give names.

that being said, I don't care either way, but I like people to name sources, what's all the secrecy for?

positron

Post by positron » Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:59 pm

Wasn't me and don't care for Silver's witch hunt.. sorry son, it serves no purpose.

I can see both sides but with anything new I found it a bit confusing on what's where.. however I do get put off by following a technical thread that gets threadjacked to 20-30 pages rendering it useless. For example look at the WCAII thread it's apparent that no one reads it in it's entirety because members post questions on details that were 5 pages back that were already posted adding more pages.

We're already doing this anyway, look at AFII it started out and then it gets to 50 pages with all the YeeHaw and then has to be posted anew to distill the pertinent facts scattered throughout the 50 pages..

This isn't much different than a sticky that only the originator has control over. I say we try it or respect the originator's request. If the originator doesn't request it to be unblabbered up then jack it up. It would be on the onus of the originator to start a technical or informational only thread and a discussion child thread for those of us who would like to refer back to the technical portions. Or at least comments of technical nature are on the technical side and the conversational "looks great" and threadjack off  subject comments that are not contributory put in the discussion/threadjack thread.

It would be nice if they would be linked so they track together. Also make it to where you don't have to post to it to get a email notification so we can subscribe without posting, adding to the congestion. I'd like to follow but may only post when I have something to contribute.

My two 5/16" zinc washers worth...

silver

Post by silver » Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:04 pm

i'm not on a witch hunt, I don't mind this idea, what makes no sense is why wouldn't you simply state in the thread...Hey all I was approached by A B and C to start a new subforum for the purpose of X Y and Z...as of now this is not up for debate, give it a try let's see how it goes.

That would be more pleasing and I think would create a more agreeable following versus

It was requested by people that I set this up :H:

positron

Post by positron » Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:11 pm

Perhaps, but my Dad used to say.. "Don't matter how we got here.. we're here now.. let's work the problem."

Cat herders don't need to know the cat's name's just that they need herdin'..

See now you've got me doing it....  :doh: jacking the thread.. adding cyber pages..  :doh:

Driver

Post by Driver » Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:14 pm

Eddie asked for it. Look at the first thread we're trying this out for. He mentioned on the Cobalt forum it's pretty near impossible to follow a build thread and could we try it here. I'm trying to accommodate him in this and I think its a valid point. Look at the full page  of balance shaft discussion on his Chat page to see his point.

If the forum allowed for it I'd make the build thread to where only he could post to it but everyone could read it, if it allowed public groups in such a way I'd make a group for it where people agree to the basic understanding to not take a dump in someones thread, but it doesn't, so is it too much to ask for a little flexibility for the originator of a thread and to respect it.

It was clearly requested in the thread for questions and chat to be posted in the followup thread, 2nd or third sentence in of the very first post. Even provided a link to the Chat Thread (and back). Still the Build Thread was immediately posted in. The reason to have basic guidelines for the sub area is so people don't get all hot and bothered when a moderator moves or deletes stuff out of the build thread. If someone does do a Build Thread and doesn't mind the chat be in the same thread then just post in the regular tech area specific to their Atom (UK, Brammo, Trak). Simple.

As for Bruce's point where someone could just do a BLOG or personal web page. I see that point, would hate to go all over the web for such stuff though. Isn't it better, with a FEW simple guidelines, if we can keep that info and discussion on OUR forum in some manner and accommodate the members of this club?  And options open up too once it's finished. Move it into a standalone page on the Main Website, leave as is, merge back to the main tech page, etc.... Just trying to stay flexible, not saying it's perfect.
Last edited by Driver on Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.