Mk1 rod end help...

The original Rover powered Atom 1
Bruce Fielding

Mk1 rod end help...

Post by Bruce Fielding » Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:22 am

It's a long shot...

Does anyone happen to know what the part number is for the right hand threaded 3/8 rod end (as used on the Mk1). It's made by Aurora
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

wisp

Re: Mk1 rod end help...

Post by wisp » Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:47 pm

Aurora AM6T - 3/8 Bore, 3/8 24 UNF Thread x 1.25" long, 9544Lbs Radial Static Load Capacity, 12 degree angular movement.

"AM" = Right Hand, "T" = Teflon liner.
Last edited by wisp on Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:49 pm

If you already know - why am I asking on your behalf? ;D
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

wisp

Post by wisp » Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:52 pm

Only just learnt a few minutes ago. If you want to store the data and delete the thread thats fine.

I thought I would post the answer as I have probably driven a number of people mad with all the PMs.  ;)

AtomFun

Post by AtomFun » Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:11 pm

So what are they on the MK2 - the competition ones?

wisp

Post by wisp » Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:03 pm

[quote="wisp"]
Aurora AM6T - 3/8 Bore, 3/8 24 UNF Thread x 1.25" long, 9544Lbs Radial Static Load Capacity, 12 degree angular movement.

"AM" = Right Hand, "T" = Teflon liner.

[/quote]

As this bearing is not currently stocked by any of the suppliers in New Zealand I have used an equivalent from QA1 of the USA. The QA1 XM rod ends are constructed from chrome moly steel and have a hard chrome plated, precision ground, 52100 bearing steal ball. Both metal components are heat treated. The race is Teflon® /Kevlar®, self-lubricating and self-sealing.

Below are some other cross references for the 3/8 male rod end:

Aurora     AM6T
National   TSMX6T
NMB        ART-5ECR
Rose        RC05H
FK           JMX6T
QA1        XMR6

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:05 pm

[quote="wisp"]
As this bearing is not currently stocked by any of the suppliers in New Zealand I have used an equivalent from QA1 of the USA. The QA1 XM rod ends are constructed from chrome moly steel and have a hard chrome plated, precision ground, 52100 bearing steal ball. Both metal components are heat treated. The race is Teflon® /Kevlar®, self-lubricating and self-sealing.[/quote]

I know this counts as thread necrophilia, but I just saw this again due to the MK 1 forum re-organization and it is a very important issue.

The QA1 web page says the race is "Kevlar® Reinforced Nylon 12 with PTFE Lining" constructed with "Loaded Slot Injection Mold". If that is anything like the Aurora SPM, it can have serious consequences when it fails. Click here for a picture.

If you can't find a local source for the Aurora products, you can PM me and I'll send you the name of the Aurora application support engineer I talked to, and he can point you in the right direction.

wisp

Post by wisp » Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:10 am

Terry,
The QA1 rod ends I have look nothing like the picture of the Aurora one you have linked to. They have far more metal to them for one thing. What's more the local company that I purchased them from is a supplier to motor sport, in particular Speedway. In NZ Speedway is raced on rough oval dirt tracks, not smooth seal. The rod ends need to be able to take a hammering. My have done 1000's of kilometers now and show little sign of wear.

Aurora AM Rod ends have 9544Lbs Radial Static Load Capacity. QA1 XM Rod Ends also have 9544Lbs Radial Static Load Capacity.

You can read about the QA1 XM here

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:10 am

wisp wrote: The QA1 rod ends I have look nothing like the picture of the Aurora one you have linked to. They have far more metal to them for one thing. What's more the local company that I purchased them from is a supplier to motor sport, in particular Speedway. In NZ Speedway is raced on rough oval dirt tracks, not smooth seal. The rod ends need to be able to take a hammering. My have done 1000's of kilometers now and show little sign of wear.
Mine (the incorrect Aurora part shown in the picture) was fine for 7000 miles, before it dropped the frame on the ground. If it had been in the front instead of the rear, it could well have been fatal.
Aurora AM Rod ends have 9544Lbs Radial Static Load Capacity. QA1 XM Rod Ends also have 9544Lbs Radial Static Load Capacity.
This was something I noticed when I looked at over a half dozen different manufacturers of rod ends. Either loads of people are using the exact same computer models, or there's some copying of datasheets going on.

The weakest point on male rod ends is generally the area near the head where the threads stop. Strength variations there (aside from changes from varying the size) are likely from differences in the metals used. That's probably also why parts from different manufacturers often have the same rating. But if the bearing race loosens up, that will cause rapid repetitive radial shocks, leading to an increased chance of failure.
You can read about the QA1 XM here
Yup, that's very similar to the QA1 page I linked to in my reply. I'd still be worried about the "Loaded Slot Injection Mold" construction.

I've never seen one of these parts in person, so they may well be perfectly fine. I'm just telling you what happened with a part with similar construction from Aurora.