Need help with my MK1 Dash

The original Rover powered Atom 1
Alec

Re: Need help with my MK1 Dash

Post by Alec » Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:30 pm

No problem measuring my Atom for you, glad to be of help.

Alec is my real name (short for Alexander) and I just thought it would be easier in such a friendly environment than picking one of my Biker handles such as Pyro or Urban Warrior.
Atom 245, (Atom 160 - SOLD), Yamaha XVZ1300 Royal Star, Ford Sierra 4X4 Ghia Estate, Skoda Octavia vRS Estate, VW Golf 2.0 TSI GTI (Nadine's)

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:33 pm

[quote="1st Austrian Atom 2 [Klaus"]
Bruce - I am definitely not up to date with all the names  :( - but who is Ben or Andrew? If I might guess Ben could  be Benem, but Andrew - no idea. Or have I missed something?

[/quote]

Ben is me, forum iD benyeats, Mk1 owner.  Andrew is probably Andrew Hobson, again forum iD as per name.

Cheers

Ben

Andrew Hobson

Post by Andrew Hobson » Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:02 pm

Yup, I think I am the Andrew referred to.  I think Bruce was talking about measuring Mk1s (Though Ariel have what is left of mine at present) - but unless I am mistaken Klaus is getting a new car, so now has the dimensions of the Mk2 from Alec.

Best

Andrew

wisp

Post by wisp » Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:03 pm

Also, here is what I think the indication lamps are (they look pretty straight forward).

A - Left Turn Signal
B - High Beam
C - Right Turn Signal
D - Hand Brake
E - Head Lights
F - Oil Pressure
G - Immobiliser
H - Battery

The Hand Brake Light appears to be on all of the time :(. Sometimes it flickers (could be my imagination  ???). There is a small switch on the brake that is operated when the brake is released. This switch has no wiring to it. Is this the problem?

Also the fuel reads 00L even after I just filled it. Any suggestions. I'm not sure where to locate the sender. :-[

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:32 pm

[quote="wisp"]
Also, here is what I think the indication lamps are (they look pretty straight forward).

A - Left Turn Signal
B - High Beam
C - Right Turn Signal
D - Hand Brake
E - Head Lights
F - Oil Pressure
G - Immobiliser
H - Battery

The Hand Brake Light appears to be on all of the time :(. Sometimes it flickers (could be my imagination  ???). There is a small switch on the brake that is operated when the brake is released. This switch has no wiring to it. Is this the problem?

Also the fuel reads 00L even after I just filled it. Any suggestions. I'm not sure where to locate the sender. :-[

[/quote]

Correct as far as I can recall.

F - is probably 'oil level' not pressure, i.e. will light if level is low.

The switch missing wiring would certainly cause the light to behave in a strange way.  My switch has the wires but the light still sometimes decides to come on !

Fuel sender is located on the driver's side of the fuel tank and is pretty easy to locate (can't recall if it is at the top or bottom of the tank and its too dark to check) actually pretty sure it is near the top.

Ben

wisp

Post by wisp » Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:59 pm

Thanks Ben,

Is there a thread on the Tail/Brake Lights? I have a bulb that keeps coming out. It's got a bit hot at some stage. :-\
I think I need to replace the inner part (lamp holder). The lens and outer housing are fine.

Do you know the capacity and range of your tank? They appear quite small.

I took each of the boys out for an hour last night. Their 1st ride in Dad's new toy. ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D :tu:  :tu:  :tu:  :tu:

Driver

Post by Driver » Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:16 pm

There is a thread on the tailight issues as well as some discussion on the tank, size and range (or lack therof)... Congrats on the ride, sure your kids are going to be pestering you for rides to school, etc.. constantly. :)

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:40 pm

Tank is 25 litres on Mk1 cars and range is about 120 miles (this is on my car that has a very rich ECU set up, I think Ross used to get closer to 200 from his Mk1)

For reference the tank is 40 litres on Mk2 cars.

Not sure about the lamps, mine have not been so bad.

Ben

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:19 am

[quote="benyeats"]
[quote="1st Austrian Atom 2 [Klaus"]
Bruce - I am definitely not up to date with all the names  :( - but who is Ben or Andrew? If I might guess Ben could  be Benem, but Andrew - no idea. Or have I missed something?

[/quote]

Ben is me, forum iD benyeats, Mk1 owner.  Andrew is probably Andrew Hobson, again forum iD as per name.

Cheers

Ben
[/quote]

My real name is Spartacus
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

Alec

Post by Alec » Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:24 am

No, I'm Spartacus.
Atom 245, (Atom 160 - SOLD), Yamaha XVZ1300 Royal Star, Ford Sierra 4X4 Ghia Estate, Skoda Octavia vRS Estate, VW Golf 2.0 TSI GTI (Nadine's)

wisp

Post by wisp » Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:13 am

[quote="benyeats"]
[quote="wisp"]

[/quote]

Fuel sender is located on the driver's side of the fuel tank and is pretty easy to locate (can't recall if it is at the top or bottom of the tank and its too dark to check) actually pretty sure it is near the top.

Ben
[/quote]

I found the wire, I think, coiled around a hose. It is a single wire within a fibreglass sleeving and has a female spade connection on it.
There is no sign of anything to connect it to.

Is the sender in the top of the tank beside the filler hose connection?

There appears to be a hole of about 75mm diameter, beside where the large filler hose connects to the top of the tank, that is sealed with a welded plate. It looks very professionally (factory) done.

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:16 am

[quote="wisp"]
[quote="benyeats"]
[quote="wisp"]

[/quote]

Ben
[/quote]

I found the wire, I think, coiled around a hose. It is a single wire within a fibreglass sleeving and has a female spade connection on it.
There is no sign of anything to connect it to.

Is the sender in the top of the tank beside the filler hose connection?

There appears to be a hole of about 75mm diameter, beside where the large filler hose connects to the top of the tank, that is sealed with a welded plate. It looks very professionally (factory) done.

[/quote]

Sounds like you have found the correct wire.  Will try to have a look tomorrow (taken the day off to do Atom stuff) and let you know. 

Ben

wisp

Post by wisp » Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:48 pm

[quote="Bruce Fielding"]
[quote="wisp"]
4 - Should this have a mechanical cable attached?
[/quote]

4. Yes it should - a cable to the brake bias adjuster - looks like this:

[/quote]

Damn, looks like something else is missing.
Attachments
Missing cable.JPG
Missing cable.JPG (28.86 KiB) Viewed 1321 times