The JD

How Many Mk1 exist?

Post by The JD » Tue May 18, 2010 7:33 pm

Mines chassis number ending 005
Wondered how many Mk1 they made.....?

John Lloyd

Re: How Many Mk1 exist?

Post by John Lloyd » Tue May 18, 2010 10:27 pm

Ben will be along to tell you the answer not only is he an anorak he also owns a Mk1.  There is one in New Zealand still in use, but then they've also got quite a few Austin 7s on the roads still too.  ;)  :D

wisp

Post by wisp » Tue May 18, 2010 10:55 pm

[quote="John Lloyd"]
Ben will be along to tell you the answer not only is he an anorak he also owns a Mk1.  There is one in New Zealand still in use, but then they've also got quite a few Austin 7s on the roads still too.  ;)  :D
[/quote]

John,

JD knows of Ben and my cars as we all post in this area of the forum.

Yes we do have Austin 7s but they are are by no means the only cars here. Please click here to see a range of more modern cars we have on offer.

I guess the reason that we still have a few Austin 7s is our ability to look after our motors and keep them in tidy condition compared to other people/places were older cars are just considered (s)crap. Although judging by some of your photos it would not be hard for any of the rest of us to be considered preservation experts.  :P

wisp

Post by wisp » Tue May 18, 2010 11:21 pm

[quote="The JD"]
Wondered how many Mk1 they made.....?
[/quote]

JD

I've often wondered the same. Nobody has been able to come up with and exact figure. Not even the factory, although I'm sure they would know. Not sure what their ashamed of.

It's important to know how many as the age and limited numbers of the model will have an effect insurance. It's probably not as easy nowadays to go out an get a replacement Atom1 if one is in an accident.

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Wed May 19, 2010 2:44 am

I think mine is number 13 or so.

Mine was one of 4 from Bruntingthorpe, I think at least 2 have been written off since then with the third going to Rob in Holland, don't know where it ended up.

Bruce's Atom 1 that became a 1.5 is now with Rob in Holland.

Another guy posted on here for a bit (John Tottie ? ) who had an Atom 1 but that is all the ones I know of.  Assuming plenty of owners are not on the forum perhaps 20 might be a realistic number

Ben

ross

Post by ross » Wed May 19, 2010 8:11 am

Mine was chassis 10 and went to a guy in Germany I think who butchered it to produce his very own 'Atom variant'.

Cheers, Ross.

wisp

Post by wisp » Wed May 19, 2010 8:51 am

[quote="benyeats"]

Ben
[/quote]

Can't be as my chassis number is AA......RAM013. You should be able to find your number on an engraved label on the chassis by the brake bias cable/bar or stamped into the lower frame rail by the radiator.

I'm not sure what the other NZ or the Aussie car are in way of chassis numbers. I do know the other NZ Atom 1 is no longer original as it is now Honda powered.

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Thu May 20, 2010 2:16 am

[quote="wisp"]
[quote="benyeats"]

Ben
[/quote]

Can't be as my chassis number is AA......RAM013. You should be able to find your number on an engraved label on the chassis by the brake bias cable/bar or stamped into the lower frame rail by the radiator.

I'm not sure what the other NZ or the Aussie car are in way of chassis numbers. I do know the other NZ Atom 1 is no longer original as it is now Honda powered.
[/quote

Will have a look when I get home.  Yours is a good bit earlier than mine so I guess that puts me at a higher chassis number.

Ben

wisp

Post by wisp » Thu May 20, 2010 5:28 am

[quote="benyeats"]
Will have a look when I get home.  Yours is a good bit earlier than mine so I guess that puts me at a higher chassis number.

Ben
[/quote]

Yes, your number may even be near the end of Atom1 production as your car has some features seen in the Atom 2, like the vertically mounted radiator.

Can't believe nobody commented on my link. What a boring bunch. Obviously the '65 DB5, '23 Model T and '53 Bentley are of no interest.

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Thu May 20, 2010 7:00 am

[quote="wisp"]
Can't believe nobody commented on my link. What a boring bunch. Obviously the '65 DB5, '23 Model T and '53 Bentley are of no interest.
[/quote]

Nope.

Not when they're half a world away!

My Atom was I think chassis 18
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

wisp

Post by wisp » Thu May 20, 2010 12:42 pm

[quote="Bruce Fielding"]
[quote="wisp"]
[/quote]
Not when they're half a world away!

[/quote]

Proves my point.  :P

wisp

Post by wisp » Thu May 20, 2010 12:46 pm

[quote="The JD"]
[/quote]
[quote="Ross McWilliam"]
Mine was chassis 10
[/quote]
[quote="wisp"]
Can't be as my chassis number is AA......RAM013.
[/quote]
[quote="Bruce Fielding"]
My Atom was I think chassis 18
[/quote]

Well we haven't reached 20 yet. I bet that's where the name Atom 2 came from. They left the zero off the first one by mistake.  ;)
Last edited by wisp on Thu May 20, 2010 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The JD

Post by The JD » Thu May 20, 2010 9:58 pm

So we are a very rare breed indeed, mine was apparantly left in the factory after a cancelled order, so its a 2001 plate but is older. Bizarre why the factory is so quiet about exact numbers... Hey wisp reckon you should look after yours and keep it original as lunatics over here have messed about with theirs, yours might be the only clean Mk1 left!!

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Fri May 21, 2010 2:59 am

[quote="The JD"]
So we are a very rare breed indeed, mine was apparantly left in the factory after a cancelled order, so its a 2001 plate but is older. Bizarre why the factory is so quiet about exact numbers... Hey wisp reckon you should look after yours and keep it original as lunatics over here have messed about with theirs, yours might be the only clean Mk1 left!!
[/quote]

There was one that the factory sold a few years ago to John Tottie who used to come on the forum, it was in mint original condition but not sure what has happened to it now so there are probably a few around.

ATOM X

Post by ATOM X » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:10 pm

I have 009
which was a rebuilt new chassis ex bruntingthorpe hack
it is now in bits
looking for motivation to build