Clunky Suspension

The original Rover powered Atom 1
03UFO

Clunky Suspension

Post by 03UFO » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:57 pm

Hi Im new to this forum.
Can anyone help with my Atom 3.5 clunky Bilstein suspension, which Im heartily sick of. Some say its a feature u have to live with. I find it hard to believe that anyone would design a car with this kind of racket as standard. Ive done a search here but no real luck. One member I discussed this with said Ohlins are the answer - but Seriously pricey.

Ariel factory swapped the springs for dual rate - so no little red helper coils now, but its no better.
Winding up the dampers helps a bit, but its still not right.

Who wants to drive a car when it clanks every time one goes over a hole in our lovely well maintained roads…

Really hope someone can help with this.(For less than £5k!)
Best regards
Richard (User ID 03UFO)

smokin

Re: Clunky Suspension

Post by smokin » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:45 am

Hi, the only noise I ever had with my Bilsteins came from the red coils slapping together, and this was solved by the addition of silicone rubber rings. Have the factory checked for play in the bell cranks? I really can't see what else it can be (if it's definately coming from the suspension)

03UFO

Post by 03UFO » Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:10 am

Hi Smokin
Have had the factory check the whole thing - They swapped the standard springs for dual rate coils with no red helper springs. This didnt improve things at all. I was also told later via the forum that there is no cure for the problem except possibly five thousand pounds worth of Ohlins...

How did yr solution work - Do have any pics/details?
Best regards
Richard

smokin

Post by smokin » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:03 pm

03UFO wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:10 am How did yr solution work - Do have any pics/details?
Here are two threads on the issue (second has picture of fitment). If you're running without the red springs then this isn't going to help as this solution stops them clattering

https://www.ariel.club/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14829
https://www.ariel.club/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14633