What's the bonnet space for...

Come here to say hello and get up to speed with how to make the most of the forum.
Karl V

What's the bonnet space for...

Post by Karl V » Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:00 pm

So a bit of an odd post this one, but I wanted to try and share some experiences with the incoming wave of new car owners by maybe giving some ideas of what to put in that teeny tiny bonnetboot. I'm sure the topic has been covered before...

Of course, what you carry will depend on what you use the car for -and where you are heading to - but given I'm partial to the occasional UK tour, my checklist is:
  • Lightweight waterproof over trousers and top. I have these and they roll up really quite small. Used them a few times in emergencies.
  • Spare fuses and print out of the fuse board from the manual. I'm sure most people carry spare fuses, but there ain't no diagram on the fuse board if you need to find the dead fuse that is stopping your starter motor from kicking in...
  • A can of tyre weld - the type that won't destroy your tyre beyond repair.
  • A few heavy duty zip ties - as long as possible.
  • Print out of insurance details - hopefully never needed.
  • USB phone charger cable and adaptor for the car's 'spare outlet', if you have one.
  • Spare hat and gloves.
  • Emergency £20 note. You know, the purple one that is going to be replaced soon and I'll forget all about it and it will become worthless.
  • Locking wheel nut key - if you've nut locked your wheels.
  • 10mm and 13mm spanner and a 4mm allen key - covers most of the car.
  • Couple of microfibre towels.
  • Me Nan's phone number - in case I'm ever passing; she hates surprises, but makes a cracking cuppa.
  • A waterproof bag to pack it all up in. Water can get into the bonnetboot, especially when hosing the car down.
So that's it really.

In my daily I also have jump leads, first aid kit, litre of water, some dried up wet wipes, a handful of nappy bags, 13 pens that don't work anymore, a flare gun, intravenous rabies shot and 1/2 lb of cocaine just in case, but I didn't want to get silly with the Nomad...

Have I missed anything? Now's the time to write out my Christmas list...

Corky

Re: What's the bonnet space for...

Post by Corky » Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:12 pm

Wow, you never cease to surprise me what you think of.

Surely you can get more cocaine in. Cops can’t out run you off road. ☠️☠️
Atom 4
Porsche 992 GTS

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:17 pm

In the daily, they probably can Corky.

In the Nomad though, I never said what was wrapped in the £20 note ;)

AlanP

Post by AlanP » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:15 pm

'Spare' stick-on front number plate. 'Sorry officer, the bloody things peel off that's why I carry a spare, look! I'll stick it on now'

A
Beautiful 2000 XJR, last ever supercharged Atom, Fiesta Active, 'Verstappen' Honda e, Focus, Jaguar iPace, Volcano Yellow, MSO Black Pack 720S Spider.

phil4

Post by phil4 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:02 pm

If you’re going to carry fuses you’ll probably find you need a flat head screwdriver to get the fuse box covers off.

On the nomad this is to hold the bottom clip out of the way, as there’s no chance of getting a finger in there with enough force.

I’d suggest trying your chosen one to ensure it’s the right size. My original choice was too small and flexible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:33 pm

Apparently, I also have one of those buckle strap things in there too.

I guess I put it in there in case I ran over a moose and needed to strap it to the roof to take home for tea (sometimes, zip ties aren't quite enough). Or maybe it was to tie up a copper who took offence to a lack of front number plate - I can't remember.

Anyway - all good ideas for today's discerning tourer ;)

autobackup

Post by autobackup » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:23 am

I thought that the consensus of opinion is that this space in an Atom & Nomad is named :

'The Frunk'!! (Front Trunk)
Atom 3.5R (Cyprus)
Honda CRV 2.2 Ex Auto i-DTEC (Cyprus)
Suzuki Celerio 1.0 SZ4 (Cyprus)
Honda CRV Ex I-MMD eCVT Hybrid (UK)

77_TYX

Post by 77_TYX » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:31 pm

I carry the unleaded booster incase the petrol station doesnt have super unleaded, fuse box diagram and fuses. Few good tips there.

thomas_fr

Post by thomas_fr » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:55 pm

I putted :

- a small but complete toolbox to be able to do some repairs if needed during a trip : https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B07J5G ... UTF8&psc=1

- spare fuses,

- some zipties and a small roll of strong tape,

- a small tire pressure gauge for the track,

- a sim/gps tracker

- helmet visor cleaner

- quick cleaner for the panels

- spare battery switch plastic key

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:49 am

All good tips - thanks all!

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:11 pm

Other suggestions:

Can of WD40 wrapped in Duct Tape. One for if it moves and shouldn't, one for if it doesn't and should.

A laminated map of fuses from the handbook.

Extra goggles and pac-a-mac for unexpected passengers in unexpected weather

Puncture repair kit. One like this https://smile.amazon.co.uk/KRONYO-EMERG ... gshopuk-21

AlanP

Post by AlanP » Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:07 pm

I have found the cars completely reliable so have never bothered with any of this stuff and never needed it.
Just a spare pair of pre-browned pants.
A
Beautiful 2000 XJR, last ever supercharged Atom, Fiesta Active, 'Verstappen' Honda e, Focus, Jaguar iPace, Volcano Yellow, MSO Black Pack 720S Spider.