Another future owner based in Surrey

Come here to say hello and get up to speed with how to make the most of the forum.
phil4

Re: Another future owner based in Surrey

Post by phil4 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:32 pm

Peter255 wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:31 pmI'll be peeved if a LOT of new components are need for more power due to the Atom packaging. It depends on the "headroom" with the Atom install. Hopefully the inlet, intercooler, exhaust etc is up to the task of a remap to 350 at least. The civic apparently is, fingers crossed.

350 is a nice number. I'll be happy with that! >:D

The 400R can have new i/c, larger turbo, injectors, different inlet, different zorst etc etc. :o
I've nothing against Ariel doing whatever they like, so if this comes out a bit "anti-ariel" it's not intended as such.

While I agree with what you're saying, I'm not sure how this can work with creating a hierarchy. You can't really charge say 50K for a car, and then not expect almost everyone to tick the extra £1000 for the extra 40-50bhp. It was a different can of beans when adding 7K. You then had model differentiation, and adding the extra hardware helped with the price difference.

If I had to guess, and this is a guess only. There will only be two real models, when it comes to power. The new Atom 4 and the 3.5R replacement, lets call it a 400R.

I can't really see Ariel creating an extra step for almost no extra cost, and I hope they haven't either snookered themselves on the hardware, nor are going to charge many thousands for a remap.

I could be wrong on all counts :)

Peter255

Post by Peter255 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:29 am

Phil,

I don't dissagree, but that does not align with this new snippet of info:

"Ariel has confirmed to me that by the time customer deliveries begin in the spring,an even more powerful version that is the true replacement for the supercharged car will have been developed and that an even crazier iteration than that is in the pipeline, albeit at some distance removed"

Which clearly states there will be 3 models
  • 320 for order now
  • even more powerful version ready in spring to replace the s/c car
  • even crazier iteration some distance (time) later
My point is to not annoy buyers of the 320 model (me) I hope the 320 model does not need too much additional cost to get the extra power of the model coming out early next year.

I believe someone told me Ariel charged £300+VAT for the 300->310 remap from memory. So they could similarly offer a remap to as a costed upgrade to the 320 later. This would keep people to official maps. Owners heading to 3rd party tuners due to the restrictive "stock" 320 map does no one any favours. I'd rather that money went to Ariel.
Atom 4, Clio v6, & some other cars obviously.

Trigger

Post by Trigger » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:54 am

I can understand the concern from people ordering the 4. But if I am honest I dont think there really will be 3 models. Like when the 3 came out there was NA and SC - but then there was the Mugen/V8 etc but not normal production models.

So the 320 standard car with a 400 or similar would be all they really need to have. The trouble is the guys love their cars down there and make off the cuff remarks about things which are great but also confuse i feel ! To have any real model distinction the power needs to be near 390-400 and then maybe change the spec slightly and be able to charge £8-10k more.

We will see though !

T

wasp

Post by wasp » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:10 pm

Perhaps the "middle map" will come as a bit of a package including additional cooling etc, justifying a higher installation cost from Ariel?

I do think that there will eventually be 3 power levels, as per the current range as it really only be giving people what they want. Ariel sold enough 3.5R's to show that people will pay for power.

Obviously at the moment they have enough orders to not need to put a hurry on any of this but adding in extra power models along the lifespan of the car keeps getting it publicity from the Motoring Press.

Tis my 2p worth but I'd definitely be disappointed with less than 350 bhp, having had a 3.5, 310 for a few years.
Cheers,
Stu

Trigger

Post by Trigger » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:33 pm

In pure marketing terms it makes sense to release the next powered car intime for FoS next year.....then maybe bring a crazy one the year after - or even 2 years later. As you say, keeps the interest and a reason for car shows and magazines to keep driving them !

T