Hello from France

Come here to say hello and get up to speed with how to make the most of the forum.
autobackup

Re: Hello from France

Post by autobackup » Mon May 01, 2017 11:44 am

Thomas

It could be worth your while having a look at what's available in the Mountain Warehouse (EU) (https://www.mountainwarehouse.com/eu/)

I got an excellent waterproof 'Extreme' ski Jacket (https://www.mountainwarehouse.com/eu/galactic-extreme-mens-ski-jacket-p14399.aspx/blue) plus 2 x waterproof trousers (i x lightweight for summer + 1 x fully lined for winter) at a very good price - the jacket in a colour to match my Atom!!  ;D

The jacket is totally waterproof and very warm - even in summer it can get cold in the rain!
Last edited by autobackup on Mon May 01, 2017 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Atom 3.5R (Cyprus)
Honda CRV 2.2 Ex Auto i-DTEC (Cyprus)
Suzuki Celerio 1.0 SZ4 (Cyprus)
Honda CRV Ex I-MMD eCVT Hybrid (UK)

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Tue May 02, 2017 9:44 am

There is a lot of information on the forum about clothing.

Think outside the box, maybe yachting clothing and armed services clothing is also an option as well as motorbike and mountaineering etc. The only two things you need in my opinion are a good, waterproof shell, and a variable under layer depending on the temperature. Plus decent gloves, unless you have a windscreen.

Hopefully, the new website due any minute will have a feature on this as it's a popular subject.
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

Rocket Man

Post by Rocket Man » Tue May 02, 2017 3:12 pm

It has to be biker trousers and jacket for me. They are designed to withstand the rain at high speed. I have Frank Thomas and have found them excellent and not too expensive. I did leave the elbow pads in as it makes it quite comfortable on your elbow especially on the top of the hand brake, I did remove all the other pads. These also have zip in liners for those especially cold days

thomas_fr

Post by thomas_fr » Thu May 04, 2017 11:22 am

Thanks for the advices, i will go on bike stuff i guess  :tu:

Yesterday, i retro-fitted a 3.5 light package / top dash + windscreens, this is much better looking now :)

Before :

After :

jpswift

Post by jpswift » Thu May 04, 2017 12:54 pm

tres jolie  :tu:
ATOM 4
DEFENDER 90
CROSSTURISMO 4S
911  991.2
R1250GS

Monza

Post by Monza » Thu May 04, 2017 1:47 pm

et bien tu n'as pas perdu de temps !! :tu:
Si c'est une sangle en jaune sur la photo du bas, retire là car la 1ere source de passage d'air pour le refroidissement est justement par le centre ;)
Jean-Pascal
Atom 3.5 310 Honda LHD

thomas_fr

Post by thomas_fr » Thu May 04, 2017 1:50 pm

Oups, je pensais que ca passait par le coté  :(

Je retire alors  ;)

autobackup

Post by autobackup » Thu May 04, 2017 2:03 pm

Can't say that I have any problems with 'leakage' at speed with the jacket and trousers I bought from The Mountain Warehouse!

I have been out (inadvertently I may add!) in a full blown thunderstorm with both torrential rain & hail that lasted nearly 2 hours (it was traveling with me!!) when driving from Newbury to Enfield via the M4/M25 motorways 18 months or so ago - all the while traveling at 'best speed' for the conditions and happily I remained completely bone dry while wearing the ski jacket and waterproof lined trousers - the conditions were so bad that my helmet steamed up despite the pinlock so I was forced to 'crack' the visor slightly to provide some extra airflow which meant that a small amount of rain made it's way in to my lower face/neck.

Traveling as Sir Nick's passenger on the D-Day Beaches tour last year I also had occasion to use this wet weather gear in anger, although on that occasion the rain was rather lighter & more intermittent - however, once again, I remained both warm & dry - the speeds were higher though!  ;D :tu:
Atom 3.5R (Cyprus)
Honda CRV 2.2 Ex Auto i-DTEC (Cyprus)
Suzuki Celerio 1.0 SZ4 (Cyprus)
Honda CRV Ex I-MMD eCVT Hybrid (UK)

thomas_fr

Post by thomas_fr » Thu May 04, 2017 2:25 pm

[quote="Monza"]
et bien tu n'as pas perdu de temps !! :tu:
Si c'est une sangle en jaune sur la photo du bas, retire là car la 1ere source de passage d'air pour le refroidissement est justement par le centre ;)
[/quote]

D'ailleurs en parlant refroidissement, ma t° sur le compteur est loin d'être stable, ca oscille entre 6x° et 8x°,
ca ne chauffe jamais trop (et le ventilo se déclenche si jamais), mais ca oscille pas mal. C'est "normal" ?

thomas_fr

Post by thomas_fr » Thu May 04, 2017 2:27 pm

[quote="autobackup"]
Can't say that I have any problems with 'leakage' at speed with the jacket and trousers I bought from The Mountain Warehouse!

I have been out (inadvertently I may add!) in a full blown thunderstorm with both torrential rain & hail that lasted nearly 2 hours (it was traveling with me!!) when driving from Newbury to Enfield via the M4/M25 motorways 18 months or so ago - all the while traveling at 'best speed' for the conditions and happily I remained completely bone dry while wearing the ski jacket and waterproof lined trousers - the conditions were so bad that my helmet steamed up despite the pinlock so I was forced to 'crack' the visor slightly to provide some extra airflow which meant that a small amount of rain made it's way in to my lower face/neck.

Traveling as Sir Nick's passenger on the D-Day Beaches tour last year I also had occasion to use this wet weather gear in anger, although on that occasion the rain was rather lighter & more intermittent - however, once again, I remained both warm & dry - the speeds were higher though!  ;D :tu:
[/quote]

I was thinking to buy a One piece "light" rain suit for motorbike (one i can fit in the small trunk), that's cheap  :tu:

thomas_fr

Post by thomas_fr » Sun May 07, 2017 6:44 pm

Hi fitted a passenger footrest today : i had a VX220 spare footrest, the design is fine with the atom, so i bolted it on the floor, that's perfect :

And after that, i changed my rear lighting, from this :

So, I had to cut the original brackets :

And then, 3D Print adapters for the LED lighting i bought :

And ready to mount on the car :

And that's it :

I'm now waiting for a new support for the plate, to fit the new fog/plate led lighting.
Last edited by thomas_fr on Sun May 07, 2017 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Sun May 07, 2017 10:33 pm

Excellent job !
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

911tom

Post by 911tom » Mon May 08, 2017 2:14 pm

Very nice!
Ariel Atom 4 350hp
Porsche 996 turbo for straight line speed
350BHP Astra van
Porsche cayenne to transport the family

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Mon May 08, 2017 4:21 pm

[quote="justin swift"]
i carry one of these on a long trip

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RICHA-TYPHOON-ONE-PIECE-1PC-OVER-SUIT-WATERPROOF-MOTORCYCLE-RAIN-OVERALL-HI-VIS/121128619950?_trksid=p2385738.c100677.m4598&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908110712%26meid%3D27d3281c7db246a6911cdfb488a49729%26pid%3D100677%26rk%3D6%26rkt%3D7%26sd%3D291719487443

has its own little carry bag and goes under the seat
[/quote]

I have one of those, too. And a BMW one as well. And an Aerostitch one. And a cheap plastic one.I think I have too many...
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London