Potential Buyer in Glasgow, Scotland

Come here to say hello and get up to speed with how to make the most of the forum.

Is there anywhere that allows Atom "self drive Hire for a day"

You may select 1 option

View results

eddiebhoy05

Potential Buyer in Glasgow, Scotland

Post by eddiebhoy05 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:43 pm

Cant find anywhere that allows self drive hire of an Atom, catherhams yes, Atoms no! Don't want to be paying crazy money for track Day rates when that is coming out the Atom car fund pot :)

Had a few hot laps in an atom through a super car experience that the Mrs got me, Waste of money driving the Lamborghini and Nissan GTR in my opinion! 3 Laps that is over within under 2 mins for the money they charge is robbery in my opinion. Although it did allow me to sit in the passenger seat of an Atom for 3 laps while a professional drove, Since that moment i have been sold and want one! Only issue is i want to have a full days driving to get the full experience.

Anyone Know anywhere that does there or even any owners willing to make some money, any thoughts?

911tom

Re: Potential Buyer in Glasgow, Scotland

Post by 911tom » Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:49 pm

I went down this route and reached a dead end. Ended up going to look at one and after a test drive the deal was done  ;D
Ariel Atom 4 350hp
Porsche 996 turbo for straight line speed
350BHP Astra van
Porsche cayenne to transport the family

eddiebhoy05

Post by eddiebhoy05 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:52 pm

Such a shame, would be more than willing to part with a few notes for a days hire as well.

Maybe a business opportunity available though?? Every cloud has a silver lining? :)

Peter255

Post by Peter255 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:15 pm

Palmersport is the best option to get to rag an Atom before you buy one.

I have heard they encourage you to give them a thorough ragging.

They aren't cheap tho, but they do different packages.

Otherwise the factory will let you do a test drive. I don't believe there are any hire places anymore.
Atom 4, Clio v6, & some other cars obviously.

Alex Brandon-Smith

Post by Alex Brandon-Smith » Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:39 pm

[quote="eddiebhoy05"]
Such a shame, would be more than willing to part with a few notes for a days hire as well.

Maybe a business opportunity available though?? Every cloud has a silver lining? :)
[/quote]

There used to be others who went down this route but the expense to repair and run seemed a bit too much I guess. No longer any around I think. Palmersport the best option. Not cheap but they allow you to give them a proper ragging...
310=325! That'll be the Presidential Remap kicking in... :vroom:

Steve Gibson
Administrator

Post by Steve Gibson » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:53 pm

I seem to remember that the problem with the Atom hire companies was that they couldn't get insurance easily. Makes sense if you think about it. Too many novices (owners, mechanics etc) crash Atoms, so hiring them out is a high risk business. The experience at Palmersport makes more sense, because there's nothing to hit, unless you're a proper psycho and drive at the barriers. There are some owners in Scotland but I seriously doubt they'd let you drive their cars. Passenger, definitely. Which to be honest, is often enough to turn you into a buyer, as you found out.

Or you can make a trip out of it, and head to Ariel in Somerset and have an accompanied test drive.
First Atomised 2001.
Atom (165) > Atom 2 (220) > Atom 3 (300) > Atom 3.5 (310) > Atom 4 (350).
There is no cure.