New Member in North Yorkshire - Looking to buy my first Atom

Come here to say hello and get up to speed with how to make the most of the forum.
rsc

New Member in North Yorkshire - Looking to buy my first Atom

Post by rsc » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:52 am

Good Morning!

I am the owner of an F type coupe which I take out for the occasional blast .. it occurred to me that I would have far more fun in an Atom so I am looking to ditch the Jag asap.

Next course of action is to get on the forum and learn ! whilst keeping an eye on Pistonheads and the classified on this site. With the little knowledge I have to date I am thinking Atom 3 245 or alternatively for a lower cost entry go in with a well specified Atom 2 220 and upgrade to a supercharger at a later date.

BTW .. would love to do track days / club meets but my main focus will be eating up A roads!

Cheers!

Alex...

russty_james

Re: New Member in North Yorkshire - Looking to buy my first Atom

Post by russty_james » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:24 am

Welcome to the club! Would love to own an F-type as some point!

This one looks good, its supercharged and local to you.. Might be worth a look.
http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/ariel/atom/ariel-atom-2-300-supercharged/6014331?v=c

Lord Studley

Post by Lord Studley » Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:11 am

There's 5 for sale on auto trader all from the same dealer (Southern Sky Motor Cars). Must be buying them all up?

rsc

Post by rsc » Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:38 am

I have just viewed the following at a dealer near me.... looks to be in good condition ... the previous owner clearly enjoyed himself in it with a Alps tour sticker from 2008 on the mud guards.

ARIEL ATOM 2 220 FINISHED IN YELLOW, BLACK AND SILVER. THIS VEHICLE COMES WITH A SPECIFICATION WHICH INCLUDES LIMITED SLIP DIFF, BAFFLED SUMP, ADJUSTABLE BILSTEINS & EIBACH SPRINGS, ALCON 4 POT FRONT BRAKES & COMPETITION REARS, STAINLESS STEEL SILENCER, CAT BYPASS, TOWING EYE & FUEL CUT OFF, WILLIANS HARNESS, COMPETITION ROD ENDS, TWIN TINTED WINDSCREEN BUBBLE, FIRE EXTINGUISHER SYSTEM, LIGHT WEIGHT WHEELS IN GREY, TILTON ALUMINIUM PEDALS, ALUMINIUM FILLER CAP AND BLACK WHEEL ARCHES. THIS VEHICLE ALSO COMES WITH BUT NOT FITTED A LARGE REAR WING, FRONT SPLITTER & FIA ROLL CAGE. ALL SERVICES HAVE BEEN CARRIED OUT BY THE ARIEL FACTORY.

Its just had a factory service and gearbox overhaul.

My thoughts are that the "limitation" of the 220 performance is not going to be a problem as I learn to drive the car and then I can upgrade with a supercharger at a later date ?

I have only been looking for 48 hours but I do get the feeling that Atoms are hard to sell on ?? clearly that's good for me at this stage....

reg

Post by reg » Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:55 am

Hi, and welcome.

IMO, when you start looking at upgrading 'in the future' you may as well buy the closest spec to that at the outset. Everything will be cheaper that way :D
'he was reet fast'

jpswift

Post by jpswift » Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:31 pm

[quote="rsc"]

I have only been looking for 48 hours but I do get the feeling that Atoms are hard to sell on ?? clearly that's good for me at this stage....
[/quote]

is a bit different from a couple of years ago when they were as rare as rocking horse shite and held their ££££ incredibly well

maybe just more out there now?
ATOM 4
DEFENDER 90
CROSSTURISMO 4S
911  991.2
R1250GS

rsc

Post by rsc » Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:35 pm

I understand but the 2004 220 is £24k with a warranty which leaves a lot in the "virtual" kitty for upgrades. I really appreciate your response though ... I'm currently head down in research mode!

wasp

Post by wasp » Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:14 pm

The Atom 2-220 was/is the noisiest of all Atoms made for induction noise.

I had a 2 and loved it but now going forward, I'd really recommend going for a 3 if you can afford it for many,many reasons, not least that you can drive it on the road all day long in comparative comfort.

Atoms 2's are great on the track but they do fizz and vibrate a fair bit. Great for short seat time and girls but the 3 is a much nicer place to be on longer journeys.

That particular model comes with wings and a roll cage which are not fitted?? I'd be asking why, plus ring the factory before buying anything to check what they have been doing to it (I can see lots of bills which is av good thing though!).

Cheers,
Stu
Atom 4, Gr Yaris

jpswift

Post by jpswift » Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:25 pm

agree with stu

my old 160 was great fun

but a right old boneshaker compared to a 3
ATOM 4
DEFENDER 90
CROSSTURISMO 4S
911  991.2
R1250GS

rsc

Post by rsc » Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:49 pm

Agree that I should look at a 3 (especially as I plan to spend the majority of time on A roads rather than just blasting around a track).. the 2 220 car turns out to have had a reconditioned engine fitted which was not through the factory and unless they reduce the price considerably is not going to work.  Just need to find the best spec / condition at a good price through a dealer and I am good to go !  (then I need to work out what to say to the wife .. it was hard enough buying the F Type ;) ).

911tom

Post by 911tom » Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:25 pm

I always find it easier to ask for forgiveness rather than permission :)
Ariel Atom 4 350hp
Porsche 996 turbo for straight line speed
350BHP Astra van
Porsche cayenne to transport the family

Lord Studley

Post by Lord Studley » Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:23 pm

My missus still thinks it was a £5000 kit car that a mate built for me.

autobackup

Post by autobackup » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:52 pm

Alex

It might be worth your while checking the Ariel Factory 'used' Atoms for sale on their website - don't get too put off by the headline prices shown as everything is negotiable - but the main advantage is that the factory only sell well sorted previously owned cars with a reasonable warranty!

Atom prices will start to drop somewhat as the autumn/winter approaches but will then start to rise again in the spring (cabriolet effect!!)

The other thing I would suggest is that if and when you come across an Atom for sale that you like ALWAYS ring the factory with the registration and ask what they know about it as they can be incredibly helpful both with advice on what to be wary off and can also often help with the history of most Atoms!

Good luck!
Atom 3.5R (Cyprus)
Honda CRV 2.2 Ex Auto i-DTEC (Cyprus)
Suzuki Celerio 1.0 SZ4 (Cyprus)
Honda CRV Ex I-MMD eCVT Hybrid (UK)

jameslawson9

Post by jameslawson9 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:30 am

Morning RSC

I'm located in the North East and have so far only used the car on public roads. My experience of Atom driving is limited to my 2 160, and even given other people's views on power, and ride comfort, it never ceases to put a smile on my face driving it. Passengers are surprised at the look of the seats vs the comfort of them. I hope you enjoy owning as much as I have and do.