North west/North Wales members

Come here to say hello and get up to speed with how to make the most of the forum.
Pav90

North west/North Wales members

Post by Pav90 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:22 pm

Hi everyone,

New to the forum. I drive an m4 currently but looking to get something more practical/AWD so an rs6 is on the cards. However this won't be any use on a track day and I can't let my race license go to waste so it seems my only option is an atom.

Do people think it's worth getting the supercharged one if it's mainly going to be for track days? Also second hand prices don't seem much cheaper than new, is it best to spend to extra few thousand and get a new one with warranty etc?

Most importantly, is there anybody around the north West or north Wales who owns one and who would be so kind as to let me see there's? I live near Oulton park so if any of you are at a track day or just having a day out I would love to join you guys and have a see (I appreciate the weather won't permit this anytime soon).

Thank you!

reg

Re: North west/North Wales members

Post by reg » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:37 pm

[quote="Pav90"]
second hand prices don't seem much cheaper than new, is it best to spend to extra few thousand and get a new one with warranty etc?
[/quote]
I had the same dilemma (first world problems...) and found a used one at the factory with the spec I wanted, I didn't want to wait :)
'he was reet fast'

Pav90

Post by Pav90 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:42 pm

Haha you're not the first person who's said its a first world problem

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:44 pm

.. all on their web site !

http://www.arielmotor.co.uk/used/used/
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

Pav90

Post by Pav90 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:49 pm

It wasn't working on my phone earlier but it is now. Thank you!

GraemeW

Post by GraemeW » Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:54 pm

Pav, you will wait up to a year for a new one.  I ordered new in September, expect it next mid to late summer, according to the factory.  I ordered new because I am fussy about spec, and also winter was approaching so thought I could wait.  However if I had seen a second hand car close to what I wanted I would have equally gone for it.  There weren't any at the time, but have been since.  So you can take a chance, or get on the waiting list.

I will leave it to others to comment on spec, as I have little experience on that.

Pav90

Post by Pav90 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:13 pm

Thanks Digger, as it will mainly be for tracking I'm not overly concerned about the spec and I've heard if you buy second hand from them they can make some changes in the factory too? I am super impatient so maybe waiting a year won't be good for my mental health ha.

wasp

Post by wasp » Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:46 pm

[quote="Pav90"]

Do people think it's worth getting the supercharged one if it's mainly going to be for track days? Also second hand prices don't seem much cheaper than new, is it best to spend to extra few thousand and get a new one with warranty etc?
[/quote]

I wouldn't go any way other than supercharged with a 3.5 as it's so well sorted compared to previous models. You've got a race license so I can't see that the power will be too intimidating. (Many will disagree here!)

However, if it was my first Atom and I was speccing new, I'd definitely go N/A with the Ohlin TTX's and enjoy the car for a year before deciding to S/C or not. (Those that disagreed will probably be agreeing here ;D)
The Ohlins will gain you as much time around a track as the S/C will.
Then, if you fancy, add the S/C after a year and the factory will install at the same price as if you'd had it put in from new.
If you are primarily using it on track, Alcons all round are a must, everything else is open to debate.

Cheers,
Stu
Atom 4, Gr Yaris

Pav90

Post by Pav90 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:17 pm

Top advice Stu thank you. I wasn't aware they would retrofit the SC for the same price, sounds like it's worth trying NA and converting once I've 'mastered' it (stopped spinning). Are the Ohlins that much better than stock dampers? I'm genuinely excited to see how these things corner!

wasp

Post by wasp » Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:33 pm

[quote="Pav90"]
Are the Ohlins that much better than stock dampers? I'm genuinely excited to see how these things corner!
[/quote]

100% yes. I don't have them on mine are sorely wish that I did.
It's not worth the £5.5k to me to fit them now but as an approx £3k supplement to the Bilsteins (I think) from new, you'd be making a mistake imo not to. I've not seen a second hand car ever come up with them on, so that may or may not push your decision to new.
In fairness, the Bilsteins are pretty good and the 3.5 goes round corners way way better than the old 2 or even 3, but the Ohlins transform the car into a different league again. I followed a car with them fitted round Spa earlier this year and it changed direction brilliantly. The driver reckoned it was worth 4 seconds over the Bilsteins.

Cheers,
Stu
Atom 4, Gr Yaris

GraemeW

Post by GraemeW » Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:22 pm

Thanks, that helps me also Stu, as I haven't finalised my spec yet.  I am leaning towards N/A and perhaps S/C later when I am used to the car.  Will go with Alcons all round plus Magnesium wheels.  Only question is to TTX or not to TTX???  I will probably do 3 to 5 track days per year, otherwise mainly a road car.

wasp

Post by wasp » Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:33 pm

[quote="Digger"]
Thanks, that helps me also Stu, as I haven't finalised my spec yet.  I am leaning towards N/A and perhaps S/C later when I am used to the car.  Will go with Alcons all round plus Magnesium wheels.  Only question is to TTX or not to TTX???  I will probably do 3 to 5 track days per year, otherwise mainly a road car.
[/quote]

No problem.
Obviously in an ideal world you'd have both but my personal choice would be TTX's over the Dymags but everyone is so different about what they want that there is no real right or wrong choice. The Factory really are excellent at helping with this stuff, I've never known them oversell once. The Dymags can run the wider Kumho's which means that you can have the 3.5R setup if you want (with the wider wheel arches). I suspect once you get on track, the number may creep upwards!

Cheers,
Stu
Atom 4, Gr Yaris

roger morton

Post by roger morton » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:35 pm

I'd go super charged and look for a good second hand one over the winter, that's the way I went and didn't regret it, made sure it was the right car for me, did at least 8 track days, drove to the nurbergring and did a phew laps. Also so did a trip to Lemans in it with the previous owner, sold it two and a half years later for £2500 less then I paid for. Liked it so much bought a 3.5R with the ohlins on, which do make a massive difference along with the Kuhmo tyres, but to be fair your be more then happy with a Atom 3 super charged, loved every minute of mine, by the way the RS6 is a great car also.

Pav90

Post by Pav90 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:35 pm

Again thank you Stu!

Wow Roger, you essentially have the perfect garage!! The 3.5r must be unbelievable. And if you want a practical car that's still exciting there's really only one option, RS6 is so far beyond any others in its class!

reg

Post by reg » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:40 pm

[quote="Digger"]
[/quote]
I have only driven one, briefly, carefully, but the supercharger (for me) dominates the experience. It is genuinely hilarious and the grunt it delivers on the road is great. I can't comment on specs really as I am speaking from a novice point of view but generally i'd have suspension and brakes over lighter wheels. I cannot wait to get mine in the garage.
'he was reet fast'