Hello (and will the Atom Club also be the Nomad Club?)

Come here to say hello and get up to speed with how to make the most of the forum.
Lord Studley

Re: Hello (and will the Atom Club also be the Nomad Club?)

Post by Lord Studley » Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:14 pm

In which case they could start where we did... but I hope we are being magnanimous by agreeing that they can be hosted here instead.

I'm a biker, and I've been off-road too (owned a CJ7), but the people that you meet in those circles mostly don't intersect with each other. What do street bikers and off-roaders have in common? If it's a love of the Atom, then great, and that makes a nice venn diagram where this club sits in the middle space. If it isn't, then why would they want to hang out together?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do agree with Bruce on this. I bet 75% of Atom owners have had bikes but I don't think you'd find the bikers where the car meets are and vice versa in the real world. Two very different types of petrol head. I think the Nomad argument is going to be a hard one because although it is an off reader I'm not sure people look at it that way. Only a tiny tiny % of Nomads will go off road, I wouldn't want to clean it after, that's for sure.

Andrew300

Post by Andrew300 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:36 pm

Nice to know where I'm wanted..... ::)

It's just my personal opinion, as is what follows...

I LOVE you!

Homo....
Ariel Nomad,Toyota GT86 and a T5 work horse ,oh and a 4x4 for winter

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:38 pm

[quote="Andrew300"]
Nice to know where I'm wanted..... ::)

It's just my personal opinion, as is what follows...

I LOVE you!

Homo....
[/quote]
My sexuality is my own affair... (well, mine and Tim Fradgley's anyway)
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

Cjg62

Post by Cjg62 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:43 pm

Well I bought my Atom as part of my mid(plus a bit) life crisis as I needed the buzz that biking friends of mine were always rattling on about! But they do bikes and I do cars. There is a dividing line . . . . .

However, having just come back from the Isle of Wight doing Dream Rides with the Sporting Bears, there were times I wished I had a Nomad. While there are some fantastic stretches of newly surfaced roads (Bonchurch Road, Luccombe early on a Sun morning), there are also some that were shite! A Nomad would have done them all. If I could justify the expense I would have one as well as the Atom. I can't imagine life without it now I'm afraid. Now, with 4 wheels, Honda engine and a tubular frame, they're not that dis-similar and I personally think they should sit together in one Club.

Sorry Ace, you're on your own! Two's company, three's a crowd!

Now if the Nomad was 4WD, that would be a different matter!

Now I'm off to take cover!!

Chris

Steve Gibson
Administrator

Post by Steve Gibson » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:47 pm

Hi, Andy B

Yes, this is place for Atom, Nomad and Ace owners. At least for now, I believe.

The new Ariel models don't have that many owners yet and starting their own little clubs seems like a lot of work when they could be here, amongst friends.

I can see no convincing reason why Atom owners and Nomad owners shouldn't be under one club indefinitely – the cars have many similarities, the owners will have owned one or both and we all deal with the same manufacturer. We're all also, I assume, of a similar mindset – that lightweight, fast cars are great and driving them is a passion.

So...if the club does intend to include Atoms and Nomads, the club name will undoubtedly have to change. It wouldn't be about one car anymore. It would be misleading to suggest it's only for Atoms. In the same way, the TVR Car Club caters for all TVRs and not just one model.

I think Lord Studley is right – I bet the majority of Nomads stay on the road. They're not going to be traditional green laners. Last time I spoke to an Ariel mechanic they told me it took them several hours to clean down a Nomad after muddy use.

I'm also fairly convinced that Ariel will produce another car at some point, and those owners would naturally come under some sort of inclusive Ariel owners' club. That's just me speculating – I know no more than you lot.

As for the Ace – I'm inclined to agree that whilst they have much in common with us lot (lots of us ride as well), bike clubs tend to be different animals. I think this is a tough one. It's the decision I find hardest. For now, I think they belong here.

All I do know is - why drive Ariel vehicle owners away if there's no good reason and there's so few of us anyway.
First Atomised 2001.
Atom (165) > Atom 2 (220) > Atom 3 (300) > Atom 3.5 (310) > Atom 4 (350).
There is no cure.

Lord Studley

Post by Lord Studley » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:50 pm

I agree Chris, atoms and nomads ain't that different in my head but bikes are bikes. I've rode bikes for 30 years but just can't see where they would fit in on the forum. We've had a vote for atomic mass dress code, can't we do one for this just to get an idea what the general consensus is????

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:53 pm

[quote="Lord Studley"]
We've had a vote for atomic mass dress code, can't we do one for this just to get an idea what the general consensus is????
[/quote]

Next to the 'new topic' button is a 'new poll' button... it's really easy to set one up...

julian

Post by julian » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:56 pm

I don't think a vote at this time is correct.

Our Chairman at the moment is away on holiday, back around 25 August 2015.

It can wait until he gets back?

Julian

Lord Studley

Post by Lord Studley » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:56 pm

Go Bruce, maybe we could name it the Atom club and misguided nomad club??? Lol. Let the abuse commence!!! :roflp:

Lord Studley

Post by Lord Studley » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:58 pm

Is there any harm Julian in just getting an idea of what people are thinking???

Cjg62

Post by Cjg62 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:59 pm

[quote="Bruce Fielding"]
[quote="Lord Studley"]
We've had a vote for atomic mass dress code, can't we do one for this just to get an idea what the general consensus is????
[/quote]

Next to the 'new topic' button is a 'new poll' button... it's really easy to set one up...
[/quote]

Didn't we go down that road a while ago?

The wheels are still spinning . . . . . . .. ... ..... ......________________________

Lord Studley

Post by Lord Studley » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:02 pm

What was the outcome last time Chris?? Missed that one

julian

Post by julian » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:03 pm

I think there is, effectively behind Tom's back.

There is no immediate need.

Julian

Lord Studley

Post by Lord Studley » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:06 pm

If this is going to affect my tyre price from Tom when he returns let's hold fire.
Chris

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:02 pm

[quote="julian"]
I think there is, effectively behind Tom's back.
[/quote]

I hate to say this but this club is run by the members, not by the Chairman. I set it up that way.

The Chairman's job in any company is basically to make sure that the business complies with company law and with the Memorandum and Articles of Association. The only real power they have is in the case of a hung vote of the trustees... who are the trustees, by the way?

Anyway, if we're registered as fully paid up members, then we have the right to raise anything we like - Chairman's holiday or not.