Hello (and will the Atom Club also be the Nomad Club?)

Come here to say hello and get up to speed with how to make the most of the forum.
Lord Studley

Re: Hello (and will the Atom Club also be the Nomad Club?)

Post by Lord Studley » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:38 pm

Come on Bruce, let's get an idea of what the general consensus is then?? I don't think it's behind Toms back as we are just getting an idea of what people think, nothing's going to change at this stage. Just be interesting.
Chris

julian

Post by julian » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:55 pm

Bruce

You were a dictator when you ran it and that's your quote.

We have a committee which we elected to represent us much the same as an MP or local councillor.

So the committee should decide, no doubt a vote will happen but let our Chairman be part of it.

Julian

Lord Studley

Post by Lord Studley » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:59 pm

The golden rule, never trust a MP! Lol

Lord Studley

Post by Lord Studley » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:04 pm

Why would a predictive polls be such a problem Julian? Toms sound as a pound and can't see what the problem would be, this happens before any election.......?????

AtomMadStew

Post by AtomMadStew » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:07 pm

Interesting.
I suppose addressing the name might be if a  majority of members should feel it warrants it.

Be a real shame to segregate the individual marques.

Arielmotor club?

Stew

julian

Post by julian » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:29 pm

I just feel he should be part of it.

Like Bruce says, push the button and start the process.

Regards

Julian

Steve Gibson
Administrator

Post by Steve Gibson » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:11 am

I think it would be better to have the discussion at or after Atomic Mass. As the 'Atoms-out' year is ending and it goes quieter. Then the new year can bring on the results. Doing it before Atomic Mass feels premature. I certainly know that's Tom's view.
First Atomised 2001.
Atom (165) > Atom 2 (220) > Atom 3 (300) > Atom 3.5 (310) > Atom 4 (350).
There is no cure.

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:36 am

[quote="julian"]
Bruce

You were a dictator when you ran it and that's your quote.

We have a committee which we elected to represent us much the same as an MP or local councillor.

So the committee should decide, no doubt a vote will happen but let our Chairman be part of it.

Julian
[/quote]

Elected by whom? As I remember, it basically comes down to the lone person prepared to do the job! I certainly have never voted on any club official's appointment.

The committee should decide things like which hosting we use, not what club we belong to!

And yes, I had a dictatorial style, but I always made decisions based upon the opinion of the members - when they had an opinion.
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

meladdo

Post by meladdo » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:38 am

My brain hurts.......I am going out in the Atom If anyone has a Nomad or an Ace you are welcome to join me, But do try and keep up ;D

Same should go for the club! But its the Atom club! Lets face it though its inevitable that the factory attracts like minded people who are daft / intelligent / committed enough to their passion of things powered by petrol and this is the only place for them to share their experience! and reasoning and ease their conscience  ;D by getting mental support for blowing best part of 50k on a toy. ;D

:tu:

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:44 am

[quote="Steve Gibson"]
It would be misleading to suggest it's only for Atoms. In the same way, the TVR Car Club caters for all TVRs and not just one model.
[/quote]

Right... like there's a Ford owners club, or a Yamaha owners club. Specific clubs for specific vehicles from manufacturers are quite common, actually. Especially when the products come with different numbers of wheels.

Look, I'm not suggesting that we do anything at all about this right now (I'm not even starting a poll - if anyone else wants to, no problem).

What concerns me more is that some cabal was discussing things about renaming the club without even opening it up to the members of the club. And that is NOT on. What else about our club is being discussed without our knowledge?
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

Steve Gibson
Administrator

Post by Steve Gibson » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:01 am

[quote="Bruce Fielding"]
Right... like there's a Ford owners club, or a Yamaha owners club. Specific clubs for specific vehicles from manufacturers are quite common, actually. Especially when the products come with different numbers of wheels.
[/quote]

Comparing a very low-volume manufacturer like Ariel to Ford or Yamaha who sell tens of models? The reason I quoted TVR is because they're a low-volume manufacturer and all their owners stick together. Their situation is not dissimilar to Ariel owners. Apart from the two-wheeled issue, which I said was a tricky subject.

There is no 'cabal' discussing the renaming of the club, without consultation. A few of us have talked about it, to make the club more inclusive, and there is every intention of taking members' views. The name change may never happen as a result! It was raised on a thread a couple of months ago, where you were part of the discussion, so you know it's not some kind of secret activity in a darkened room somewhere.

This is Andy B's thread. He's a good example of the potential confusion. The name of the club lead him to believe he might be in the wrong place.
First Atomised 2001.
There is no cure.

Andybee33

Post by Andybee33 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:34 am

[quote="Steve Gibson"]
[quote="Bruce Fielding"]
[/quote]

There is no 'cabal' discussing the renaming of the club, without consultation. A few of us have talked about it, to make the club more inclusive, and there is every intention of taking members' views. The name change may never happen as a result! It was raised on a thread a couple of months ago, where you were part of the discussion, so you know it's not some kind of secret activity in a darkened room somewhere.

This is Andy B's thread. He's a good example of the potential confusion. The name of the club lead him to believe he might be in the wrong place.
[/quote]

Gosh!  I had no idea at all that this would turn into such a hotly debated topic.  :o

From my perspective as a newly-arrived Nomad customer I can understand some of the arguments about the Ace.  I'm a motorcyclist myself (as are many here it seems) but I agree that bike and car forums are often different beasts.  However, even with the Ace, it's my opinion that people will buy it because they are an Ariel fan rather than just a biker.  I think there's a definite Ariel 'ethos', about form following function, minimalism, build quality etc that all Ariel customers probably share.

The arguments for excluding Nomad owners are, I think, even thinner.  It seems quite widely recognised that most Nomads will be bought for the road by people who might otherwise by NA Atoms but like the chunky looks.  As a newbie, I felt a bit unwelcome by some of the posts that said I was clearly a different 'sort' 'cos I'd bought a Nomad and not an Atom.

As for the club name vote, well I guess that's a procedural thing for the long-standing members, so I'll keep out of it!!  ;D

Steve Gibson
Administrator

Post by Steve Gibson » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:40 am

[quote="Andybee33"]
The arguments for excluding Nomad owners are, I think, even thinner.  It seems quite widely recognised that most Nomads will be bought for the road by people who might otherwise by NA Atoms but like the chunky looks.  As a newbie, I felt a bit unwelcome by some of the posts that said I was clearly a different 'sort' 'cos I'd bought a Nomad and not an Atom.
[/quote]

I think that hits the nail on the head and highlights why the club ought to be more than the Ariel Atom Owners' Club. It needs to be inclusive and for people who 'get' the Ariel way of doing things. We have more in common than is first apparent.
First Atomised 2001.
There is no cure.

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:41 am

Atom 1, Atom 2 ... Atom 500, Atom Mugen, Atom 3S, Atom Nomad ..

They should have kept 'Atom' in the product name and then we'd all be happy as Larry !
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

Andrew300

Post by Andrew300 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:54 am

True....
Ariel Nomad,Toyota GT86 and a T5 work horse ,oh and a 4x4 for winter