Hello (and will the Atom Club also be the Nomad Club?)

Come here to say hello and get up to speed with how to make the most of the forum.
Andybee33

Hello (and will the Atom Club also be the Nomad Club?)

Post by Andybee33 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:34 pm

Hi folks,

Just a quickie to formally introduce myself, though I've made a few Nomad-related posts in the General Discussion section.  I'm Andy, I live in Lincs, I love the Atom (but don't have one).  I do, however, have a Nomad on order - #25 in the list apparently.

Recently, I've wondered if I'm being presumptuous in assuming that the Atom Club will also be the Nomad Club?  Should I keep posting here or slink off into the wilderness to find others who like their tyres a bit, erm, higher profile?  I'm only asking to avoid that feeling you get when you turn up at a tarts and vicars party dressed as a lemon meringue pie (apparently! :)).

Anyway, from what I've seen so far, there's a lot of interesting people here, so I'll hang about until I get evicted for having the wrong car on order!!  ;D

Best,

Andy

meladdo

Re: Hello (and will the Atom Club also be the Nomad Club?)

Post by meladdo » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:34 pm

Dress like a tart here and for some you could be driving a reliant and be welcomed with open arms.... ;D For me I think your in with no question after all the Nomad is just an Atom dressed as Rambo.... ;D

Smiffy555

Post by Smiffy555 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:21 am

Hi Andy - good man on getting the Nomad on order.

Can I ask, why did you choose the 'mad over the 'tom?

Dan.

Andybee33

Post by Andybee33 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:35 am

[quote="Smiffy555"]

Can I ask, why did you choose the 'mad over the 'tom?

[/quote]

Thanks chaps.

Dan, I wanted the car predominantly for road use and I also have a (probably daft) notion to use it in place of my motorcycle for 'overland'-type adventure trips.  Also, I kind of think it's pretty  :)

julian

Post by julian » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:02 am

Andy,

Yes, this is the place for the Atom, Nomad & the Ace.

It is currently 'Atom Club' but there are few among us debating a name change to incorporate all three products from Ariel.

No doubt there will be much debate over the next few months / next year sorting that out. Perhaps some resistance, who knows.

You are in the right place.

Regards

Julian

Andybee33

Post by Andybee33 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:10 am

[quote="julian"]
Andy,

It is currently 'Atom Club' but there are few among us debating a name change to incorporate all three products from Ariel.

No doubt there will be much debate over the next few months / next year sorting that out. Perhaps some resistance, who knows.

Regards

Julian
[/quote]

Thanks Julian, that's good to know.  Yes, the name is a bit of a challenge I guess due to Ariel motorcycles of old which already have a club I think.  It might end up being something like 'Ariel Motor Enthusiast's Club', which isn't really all that catchy :)

Anyway, as long as it's the right place, I'm happy :)

Smiffy555

Post by Smiffy555 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:49 am

[quote="Andybee33"]
[quote="julian"]
Andy,

Regards

Julian
[/quote]

Thanks Julian, that's good to know.  Yes, the name is a bit of a challenge I guess due to Ariel motorcycles of old which already have a club I think.  It might end up being something like 'Ariel Motor Enthusiast's Club', which isn't really all that catchy :)

Anyway, as long as it's the right place, I'm happy :)
[/quote]

Mad Tomace Club?  :D

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:54 am

[quote="julian"]

[/quote]

Why not have done with it and call it the Ariel Marketing Assistant? I would strongly oppose any name change. Happy  for a new club to exist dedicated to Ariel's other offerings, but to lump together people who are unlikely to have that much in common seems unsound to me.
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

Andrew300

Post by Andrew300 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:12 pm

Nice to know where I'm wanted..... ::)
Ariel Nomad,Toyota GT86 and a T5 work horse ,oh and a 4x4 for winter

julian

Post by julian » Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:41 pm

I don't think a name change is necessary, just some sub headings for Nomad / Ace business.

It would be good to get it sorted out one way or another as the uncertainty of a name change has prevented some merchandise being produced for Atomic Mass.

I guessed there would be resistance from some quarters in any event but I do disagree, we have a lot in common, for example the Nomad is essentially an Atom, the bike you could argue but a lot of future Ace owners also have Atoms.

There is already a bike club although if Ace owners tried to join it they would be about as welcome as a wart on the end of your knob!

Regards

Julian

Lord Studley

Post by Lord Studley » Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:48 pm

I was under the impression a fair few new Nomad owners are ex Atom owners so would be good to have comparisons. I don't understand why some atomic mass merchandise has been held up as isn't it for 10 years of the Atom club so the Nomad should of made no difference??
Chris

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:14 pm

[quote="Andrew300"]
[/quote]
It's just my personal opinion, as is what follows...

I LOVE you! But bikers and off-roaders don't necessarily have the same interests and personalities as Atom owners - and they shouldn't, otherwise, what's the point of producing different vehicles?

This is a home for Atoms, but Nomad and Ace owners should be welcome here - and welcome to start their clubs here... but not end them here... I would hope that Ace owners would eventually WANT their own space, as would Nomad owners. Right now, there's not the critical mass to justify the effort and expense.

If this forum and website is converted to an Ariel-based one, then we really will have become just a marketing exercise for the factory

Maxime06

Post by Maxime06 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:26 pm

[quote="Bruce Fielding"]
[quote="Andrew300"]
[/quote]

I LOVE you! But bikers and off-roaders don't necessarily have the same interests and personalities as Atom owners - and they shouldn't, otherwise, what's the point of producing different vehicles?

[/quote]

But if you go that route Atom owner don't necessarily have the same interests and personalities and they shouldn't otherwise it would just be boring.
From all the people you've met who own or have owned atom would you say they are all "similar"? from the few i have met i find each individual to be quite different (job, background, interests, age)

Moreover, some atom owners are bikers, some aren't
The main point they would all have in common is that they are petrol heads which would be the same i would expect for nomad and Ace owners

This is just my two cent

Considering the production capacity of Ariel i would expect it to be a long while before enough nomad and ace are produced for each to have their own club.
Last edited by Maxime06 on Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Andybee33

Post by Andybee33 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:32 pm

[quote="Bruce Fielding"]
[quote="Andrew300"]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Interesting point.  In practical terms though I wonder how different someone who buys a Nomad to blast around B-roads is to someone who has an Atom to do much the same?  I personally don't think that 'mud pluggers' are really going to buy Nomads.  For a start these isn't the scope to have enough Diff Locks and not having 4wd is probably nearly heresy to some of these folks.  It will be interesting to see who (other than me and couple of others here) buys Nomads and what they use them for.  My personal bet is that 2/3 of them will be used on the road.

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:36 pm

[quote="Maxime06"]
The main point they would all have in common is that they are petrol heads
[/quote]

In which case they could start where we did... but I hope we are being magnanimous by agreeing that they can be hosted here instead.

I'm a biker, and I've been off-road too (owned a CJ7), but the people that you meet in those circles mostly don't intersect with each other. What do street bikers and off-roaders have in common? If it's a love of the Atom, then great, and that makes a nice venn diagram where this club sits in the middle space. If it isn't, then why would they want to hang out together?