Road to Crewkerne conversion?

Come here to say hello and get up to speed with how to make the most of the forum.
GraemeW

Road to Crewkerne conversion?

Post by GraemeW » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:46 am

As a boy I helped my uncle build a Caterham 30 plus years ago.  That experience and riding in it, has made me want one ever since.  The dream has been in the pending tray all this time, until now,  when conditions are right, funds, time, motivation, etc I decided to do something about it.  Have popped down to Crawley, drove the cars, decided on a spec etc and was about to push the buy button, when a friend told me, have you considered the Atom?

Since he doesn't have one himself, I didn't at first, take him seriously.  I was aware of them but had never seen one.  However after some searching on the net, and this site, my interest was raised.  A visit to factory this week has totally changed my thinking.  It was like someone pressed the delete button on the Caterham dream file that had been lurking for 30 years.  I couldn't drive one, but Henry took me out in the 245 demo (with titanium chassis), and spent a couple of hours with me talking about the cars.  As a petrol head, I am surprised with myself that I have missed recognising this car!

On the one hand, I am irritated with my friend's suggestion, which has put on hold or sunk the Caterham plan, whilst on the other hand he has opened the possibility of a new world of Atom ownership, and all that, that brings, which you all know much more about than I do.

Next steps?  I am not sure.  Thinking of driving the two cars back to back when the weather is better, then deciding.  Anybody out there who has been in the same place? 

phil4

Re: Road to Crewkerne conversion?

Post by phil4 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:23 am

I'll be honest, while I was aware of the Atom for many years.  I was definitely thinking of one other particular car when funds allowed.  A chance "experience day" my wife bought for me saw me driving an atom.  And that was it.  Completely changed my mind.  And yes, this was back to back with my planned car.    Which just wasn't even on the same page when I tried it after the atom.

Was I miffed? Not in the slightest, instead I'd tried what I thought I wanted, and tried something else, and the some else changed my mind.  I was glad that happened before I bought the original plan.

Steve Gibson
Administrator

Post by Steve Gibson » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:31 pm

Atom. Always. Next question?  ;)

Seriously though...if you're a big lad (or lady), like using the brake without hitting the gas pedal, like some room in the cockpit for carrying stuff, and a frame that gives you some protection if you go ditch-diving...buy an Ariel.

At 6'2", the Caterham was lots of fun, but like driving a canoe by comparison.
First Atomised 2001.
Atom (165) > Atom 2 (220) > Atom 3 (300) > Atom 3.5 (310) > Atom 4 (350).
There is no cure.

GraemeW

Post by GraemeW » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:45 pm

Thanks Steve and Phil.  Yes the pendulum is much closer to Crewkerne than Crawley.  I am 6'4" and about 15 stone.  Just fit in the SV caterham, but have been worried about comfort long term and longer trips. My initial view is that Atom beats the Caterham in practically every way except price and perhaps handling on the limit?

Graeme

Steve Gibson
Administrator

Post by Steve Gibson » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:52 pm

Early Atoms were snappy on the limit. Caterhams were definitely friendlier. They're much more manageable now, and progressive, given where the engine is.

The price thing is really about what you'll get back when you sell it. I don't know much about Caterham residuals. Low-usage Atoms keep their value very well. Not as strong as a few years ago when demand was high and used cars were rare, but still very respectable.
First Atomised 2001.
Atom (165) > Atom 2 (220) > Atom 3 (300) > Atom 3.5 (310) > Atom 4 (350).
There is no cure.

GraemeW

Post by GraemeW » Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:06 pm

Steve, yes I noticed the residuals are excellent.  Depreciation the hidden but biggest cost of motoring.  So another strong point for the Atom.  Don't have a a specific budget really, within reason!  Just need to justify spending that much on a 4th car and what is essentially a luxury to use on sunny days.

I have convinced myself, but have to do what someone else said on one of the other forums, employ some good man maths and deft use of smoke and mirrors to convince my better half that an Atom is an essential. 

wasp

Post by wasp » Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:21 pm

I think that much like Steve has said, it sort of depends on how you want to use the car.
The Atom (certainly an Atom 3 onwards) will happily drive you across Europe, let you thrash it round a track for a day or two and then drive you home again.
Most people I know who have had a faster Caterham have enjoyed driving it on track but it has usually broken more than they would have expected.
The frustration of a lost track day (plus cost) coupled with needing more replacement parts (more cost) and the potential hassle certainly simplifies the man maths project.
Also, and I think that this is almost the most important point of all, Ariel's service department is meticulously run and second to none. If you hit the brakes at any speed but say 130 mph in a track car, you really want to know that it will stop.
Obviously there is a bias on this forum but generally it exists for a reason.
Good luck with the decision
Atom 4, Gr Yaris

Ben Long

Post by Ben Long » Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:51 pm

Hi Digger,

It's a great dilemma to have and one that I can share in too.  I've had 6 Caterham's in my time, and my last one (an R500 K Series) I sold only as recently as last July having taken a break from the Atom after my daughter was born.

I made about £3500 when I sold the Caterham, so quids in, though that was fortunate.  I have ordered what will be my 3rd Atom which arrives in April/May.

I'll happily share my honest feedback if you wanted any further insight?  PM me with your number and I'll call you.

Otherwise, best of luck, and you certainly won't regret choosing an Atom, which is why I'm going back  :tu:

Cjg62

Post by Cjg62 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:43 pm

Digger,
If you can afford/justify the expense then going for an Atom is in my opinion a no brainer!

The car is a personality in its own right that attracts the attention of all budding "petrol heads" wherever you go and is a pleasure to drive on and off the track.

I think you have already made your mind up but just need that little nudge!

Best of luck,
Chris

GraemeW

Post by GraemeW » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:18 am

Thanks all.  I will definitely organise a test drive soon, and let you know how I get on.  When I have a date, Ben I will PM you and we can talk?

Bungle009

Post by Bungle009 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:42 pm

Where in Hampshire do you live Digger.  I am in Alton.  Happy to have a chat if you would like.

GraemeW

Post by GraemeW » Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:30 am

Bungle

I am just north of Basingstoke.  Perhaps we could meet up sometime to chat?  Do you have an Atom? 
Digger

PS the A339 between Basingstoke and Alton must be a great road for the Atom when its traffic free

Bungle009

Post by Bungle009 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:08 pm

Happy to meet up.  I have an Atom 3.5 245, and have previously had an Atom 2.  I will send you some contact info by PM.

GraemeW

Post by GraemeW » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:04 pm

Dropped my father off at Gatwick this morning for an early flight.  Popped into Caterham cars since I was there.  Drove a demo car in "my" spec again.  The sun was shining and the Sussex country roads had little traffic.  It took a lot of will power not to finally place that order.  It's painful.  I can't drive an Atom until mid May.  It's a long wait, and I guess I will love both the cars and be no closer to making my mind up!

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:35 pm

Why mid-May?
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold