Hello again - 7 year absence, sorry

Come here to say hello and get up to speed with how to make the most of the forum.
Bruce Fielding

Re: Hello again - 7 year absence, sorry

Post by Bruce Fielding » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:39 pm

N/A. You can supercharge later - kids love turkey twizzlers so you can save for it...

What 2 did you have (what year as well)? Then we can advise on the differences...
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

Bungle009

Post by Bungle009 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:46 pm

NA all the way.  I cant stand supercharger whine.......

Adam Yorkshire

Post by Adam Yorkshire » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:59 pm

Hi Bruce

I remember you from my first Atom ownership, in fact I am almost certain you were on the early morning London raid that we did in 2005/6 or 7.  Do you recognise the picture on the first page of this post?  I also got one of your annual fun awards.

Good to hear from you again and its nice to see you are still in the world of the Atom.  You must be the longest serving Atom owner there is now.

At the time I owned an Atom 2 220.  Great car but I have always loved that over whelming sense of power and drama you get from the SC.  What difference would I notice between an Atom 3 and Atom 2?
Last edited by Adam Yorkshire on Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Steve Gibson
Administrator

Post by Steve Gibson » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:43 pm

Hi, Adam

The 2 will be more raw. It'll vibrate much more and will generally be noisier. The bulbs will also fall out, or the bulb surrounds will deform under heat.

The 3 will seat you lower, vibrate far less, feel less twitchy on the road and a little more 'civilised' (if you can say that about an Atom).

I love the induction thrappp AND the supercharger wail. But the torque of the 300 is why I'd go for the super. It's got a little more 'get up and go' at higher speeds.

Personally, I'd buy a 3 245 and add an SC later, if you want that extra grunt. But drive one before shelling out the money, to be really sure. In fact, get down to Ariel in a month or two and drive both back to back. It's the only way.

S
First Atomised 2001.
Atom (165) > Atom 2 (220) > Atom 3 (300) > Atom 3.5 (310) > Atom 4 (350).
There is no cure.

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:23 pm

Certainly do remember you, Adam.

Yes, I was on that London Dawn Raid - we're still doing them! I believe I am the longest continuous Atom owning person there is.(I still have my 2/220 and still love it!)

As for differences, what Steve said.

I don't think you'll be disappointed in the 3/245. The only time I even feel the lack of power is on fast straights when other cars can get past me... but I usually catch them up on the twisty bits.

One of the truly great things about Atom ownership is how well it hones your road skills. The longer you drive one, the better you seem to get. Mind you, I think I'm getting past it these days... probably trade mine in for a mercedes when I'm old enough  ;)

Great to have you back.
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

Adam T

Post by Adam T » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:44 pm

Just testing my old user name.

Adam T

Post by Adam T » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:45 pm

I am back, Adam Yorkshire is now Adam T again.