New to the Atom scene

Come here to say hello and get up to speed with how to make the most of the forum.
Bruce Fielding

Re: New to the Atom scene

Post by Bruce Fielding » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:34 pm

IIRC the dashboard on a 2 with bubbles is different to a normal dashboard. It has flat semi-circles in it, where the normal ones have a sort of undulation to them.

And the one for the 3 and later (gunsight ready) won't fit easily as the car is slightly wider.

I wonder if the factory would be prepared to make a 2 dashboard that's gunsight ready? I might well retrofit it.

Alternatively, maybe something for Hamid...
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

AtomMadStew

Post by AtomMadStew » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:46 pm

[quote="Bruce Fielding"]

And the one for the 3 and later (gunsight ready) won't fit easily as the car is slightly wider.

I wonder if the factory would be prepared to make a 2 dashboard that's gunsight ready? I might well retrofit it.

[/quote]

Gauntlet thrown down Hamid

Stew

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:58 pm

[quote="Bruce Fielding"]

[/quote]

Ditto.  I did investigate this once, I got as far as buying some perspex......

Jamesw

Post by Jamesw » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:20 pm

Hahahah!!

Visually i think the bubbles look good, but visibility wise mine are smoked and looking through was ok but not great, and lifting my head up to look over wasn't to comfortable. But im new the atom so excuse me, i presumed all of these options were interchangeable.

hamtt

Post by hamtt » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:36 pm

[quote="Stew Bartley"]
[quote="Bruce Fielding"]

[/quote]

Gauntlet thrown down Hamid

Stew
[/quote]

lol, what have I let myself in for!

Actually since this last came up I've tried to source some off the shelf lotus 2-11 type of windscreen

The lotus screen costs around £600+vat so way out of the question. I've not had much luck finding anything suitable off-the shelf so did speak to a few companies about getting something made and the possibility is very much there. However I need to do the proper designs so I need to get my hands on an Atom 2 and an Atom 3 dash to butcher to play about with designs.  Clearly I want to be able to use the same screen on the Atom 2 and the 3 so I'll only be able to work on the windscreen designs once I've got both the dash panels. The modified/redesigned dash panels themselves in carbon fiber wont be much of a problem at all, and will probably cost around £350-£500 and much cheaper if in fibreglass. The windscreen itself I won't be able to get an exact price on until I have the final design but cant see it costing more than £100.

So if anyone has any dash panels to donate or sell cheap, i'll be more than happy to give it a go.

I've butchered enough parts on my car already in the name of R&D and a dash isn't something I can live without at the moment!

Alternatively feel free to donate me a full car to drive and I'll happily butcher my dash...
My website: Skunkwurx - Create an account and PM me for forum member pricing
Ariel Atom Parts and UpgradesRace Technology Dash2

AtomMadStew

Post by AtomMadStew » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:43 pm

What about the panel that houses said gunsights/bubble screens incorporating such a screen/kick up?  :wize:

Stew

hamtt

Post by hamtt » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:04 pm

[quote="Stew Bartley"]
What about the panel that houses said gunsights/bubble screens incorporating such a screen/kick up?  :wize:

Stew
[/quote]

That's what I meant,  the front tea tray or dash panel or whatever you wanna call it.  It'd make more sense to redesign the full piece rather than an add on as there's too many variations of it to design an add on that would fit all.

What I could do I suppose is design windscreens of varying Heights that are interchangeable and can be changed to suit purpose/mood.
My website: Skunkwurx - Create an account and PM me for forum member pricing
Ariel Atom Parts and UpgradesRace Technology Dash2

Jamesw

Post by Jamesw » Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:10 pm

Interesting!!!! i think ultimately a redesign of the whole set-up would work but would involve a lot of work? Looking at that 2-11 set-up, a smaller version of this as a straight swap for the bubbles would work? They just unbolt easy, and would be nice not to loose the visibility. That looks like a nice alternative

j

Alex Brandon-Smith

Post by Alex Brandon-Smith » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:59 am

[quote="hamtt"]
[quote="Stew Bartley"]

Stew
[/quote]

That's what I meant,  the front tea tray or dash panel or whatever you wanna call it.  It'd make more sense to redesign the full piece rather than an add on as there's too many variations of it to design an add on that would fit all.

What I could do I suppose is design windscreens of varying Heights that are interchangeable and can be changed to suit purpose/mood.
[/quote]

Different screen heights would be a great idea and very individual....
310=325! That'll be the Presidential Remap kicking in... :vroom:

Jamesw

Post by Jamesw » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:57 pm

Im going to experiment and cut the bubbles down at work, making 2 small lips (much like the attached pic of the 2-11). I presume available of new parts from atom is ok normally, just incase I'm not happy with them. Anybody tried altering these before?

regards

j

Jamesw

Post by Jamesw » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:03 am

Hey!! Exactly like this!!

Im obviously new to the atom but i feel the bubble screen is not great for visibility. I could unbolt them but it would look unfinished. So reducing the height of them would work very well i think. Ill be looking at these over the next few weeks.

Was just wondering if anyone else had changed them? I remember someone saying the new panels form the 3 wouldn't fit.

Best regards

James

speedmachine

Post by speedmachine » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:12 pm

I was actually looking for someone to copy the bubbels for me, but than in a 1,5 inch lower version and with the end sticking right up in the air, a bit like adding a gunsight to the bubble, all in 1 part. This would still keep the Atom 2 looks but give the Atom 3 gunsight comfort...
Atom 4 on its way, GR Yaris for the wet days

Jamesw

Post by Jamesw » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:29 am

Right!! …Managed to get a few miles under my belt with with this monster now!! I have to say it is absolutely incredible!!! Speed i haven't experienced before. I know there will be a lot of atom lovers here that won't be keen on the fact it has the original charger has been changed. But once you've been in it i think you'd change your mind.

So wheels and tyres have been changed, she's now wearing a set of Dynamics in matt black with the avon rubber. Original wheels are on ao48's.

The car went into backdraft motorsport last month, brakes were all sorted and a massive improvement!!! Serviced and full suspension set-up. What a different that made!!! Whoever fitted the nitrons just basically blonked them on, all 4 corners were miles out.

Then finally went back to the engine builders TTS performance at silverstone. These guys built the engine, full forged internals, rotrex charger, clutch masters clutch etc……. Car has had a custom made exhaust on it, and i think was running a little rich. So got her on the dyno, which was great to see. Car is mapped at a nice and safe 379.03 WHP!!!!!!! …..absolutely chuffed with this! running absolutely perfectly and seriously seriously fast. Not sure on exact weights, but this gives me between 8-900 bhp per ton i think!! crazy speed.

So I've have a good look on here and seen many posts about the guy in the states. Any guys on here with a rotrex charger?

Amazing first 5 months of ownership, I'm happy i pretty much have the car where i want it, ready for the track days to begin in may.

j

meladdo

Post by meladdo » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:49 am

380 bhp  ;D ;D ;D

MONSTER - Your not wrong :roflp: