Hi from Glasgow Scotland

Come here to say hello and get up to speed with how to make the most of the forum.
cutch

Hi from Glasgow Scotland

Post by cutch » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:13 am

Hi guys, just joined with the intention of getting some good info before i buy my first atom, I have decided that i want the supercharged one but thats about it so far.

I actually really need to check if i can get it in my garage first! I have a speed bump outside my house that may pose a problem, hopefully it wont but before i go and spend my hard earned cash i need to check. My cossie scrapes it a little bit but i was worried about an atom and the front nose cone. Any guys in glasgow fancy coming round for a cuppa so we can check?

Also wouldnt mind knowing what garages that other people have bought their atoms from so i can use a reliable source for my upcoming purchase.

Kezzie

Re: Hi from Glasgow Scotland

Post by Kezzie » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:56 am

Just a few comments for you to ponder ....

Firstly I would suggest that if an Atom, on standard setup suspension, scrapes over a speed bump then the speed bump has been built higher than the recommendations of the Institute of Transport Engineers which is between 3 & 6 inches, depending on width of the hump. I've never had any issues with speed bumps or humps etc if taken at a sensible angle and speed.

Secondly there is nothing wrong with buying privately with some research. You should get the reg or chassis number of a prospective purchase and then contact the factory who will happily let you know what historical records they have on the vehicle and, I am sure, advise you further.

Thirdly, don't just restrict your search to S/C Atoms as the factory can and will retro fit the supercharger kit to a standard N/A car. Admittedly it does cost circa £5k but its always an option. Quite a few owners have gone down this route.

Good luck and, hopefully, happy Atoming

Adrian

Trigger

Post by Trigger » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:00 am

Atoms generally dont have a problem with speed humps - I never had any issues with the 3 into my road and also getting on ferries for example where my lotus friends struggled !
Atom 4, Mclaren 720s, Audi Rs4, VW ID3.....

speedmachine

Post by speedmachine » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:20 am

if your cossie makes it, an Atom makes it for sure. I had a lowered Viper in my garage, this hangs over the front wheels about....3 meters ;). No problems with the Atom, the wheels are just a couple of inches behind the point of the nose, so with extreme humps you might not want to approach it in a straight line but a bit from the side, but that's about it.
Atom 4 on its way, GR Yaris for the wet days

Steve

Post by Steve » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:10 pm

[quote="cutch"]
Also wouldnt mind knowing what garages that other people have bought their atoms from so i can use a reliable source for my upcoming purchase.
[/quote]
Personally I would go for a well looked after private sale (with recent factory service), or from the factory.

jpswift

Post by jpswift » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:40 pm

theres quite a few tidy looking ones on pistonheads at the moment
ATOM 4
DEFENDER 90
CROSSTURISMO 4S
911  991.2
R1250GS

Steve Gibson
Administrator

Post by Steve Gibson » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:36 pm

On the subject of adding a supercharger to a used car...I heard from Julian this morning who said that Ariel only have enough stock of SCs for fitting to new build cars. They're not doing conversions right now because the next delivery of SCs could be a few months away.

A used 300 seems to be the only way into a 300 if you want it in the near term.
First Atomised 2001.
Atom (165) > Atom 2 (220) > Atom 3 (300) > Atom 3.5 (310) > Atom 4 (350).
There is no cure.

meladdo

Post by meladdo » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:19 pm

I would also check you can get insurance on a 300 if its your first Atom -  :tu:

van man

Post by van man » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:45 pm

got my first atom 3 weeks ago 2012  3 300 no problems with insurance (other vehicle berlingo van)

atom 3 300 / berlingo van

fb.george

Post by fb.george » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:04 am

Hi
Good luck with the search.
If you are anywhere near the airport am happy to drop by on the 8th May on my way to the Highlands, although I echo what others have said. You should have no issue at all with the speed humps. Our village is riddled with the things and I have no issues.
I went the 245 NA aspirated route last year and have never regretted it. Still scares the bejesus out of me, and brings an enormous grin, when I boot it and the noise is the best sound track out. And I still have the option of SC later when appropriate.
All the best
Mark
Keep smiling!!

AtomMadStew

Post by AtomMadStew » Fri May 03, 2013 7:30 pm

Previous owner to this one on piston heads was festidious about his car and I believe it's fully paint shield protected also.....this would be my car of choice at the moment.

http://mobile.pistonheads.com/;s=nfcg-CCdBovMZyk-6__wSQ03/classifieds/used-cars/ariel/atom/ariel-atom-3-other-british-2008/1021626

Not forgetting used cars at the factory, and using the factory to check out vehicles history.

Stew

meladdo

Post by meladdo » Sun May 05, 2013 2:31 pm

[quote="van man"]
got my first atom 3 weeks ago 2012  3 300 no problems with insurance (other vehicle berlingo van)

atom 3 300 / berlingo van
[/quote]

With what car history?

And with what insurance company?

O an the most important what cover / price?

I could get insurance on a 300 but at a price that was not too cost effective -  and I had owned other RWD high powered cars before too....

Maybe you touched lucky? or you have business insurance or some other combination of lower risk factors?

Daniel

Post by Daniel » Sun May 05, 2013 10:15 pm

[quote="meladdo"]
With what car history?

I could get insurance on a 300 but at a price that was not too cost effective -  and I had owned other RWD high powered cars before too....

Maybe you touched lucky? or you have business insurance or some other combination of lower risk factors?
[/quote]

Just to share,

I have recently bought an atom 3 300.

Insurance through competition car insurance (Martin.Lam@towergate.co.uk for a quote - really helpful chap).

25 years old.

Owned a few 250+ BHP cars.

SD&P cover/4000 annual mileage.

Around £750 for the year.

Daniel

Sconzo

Post by Sconzo » Mon May 06, 2013 10:49 pm

Hi Cutch. I'm in Glasgow and would gladly bring the car round to check the speedbump quandary. I'll PM you my number.

Cheers
Scott

meladdo

Post by meladdo » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:58 pm

[quote="Daniel"]
[quote="meladdo"]
With what car history?

[/quote]

Just to share,

I have recently bought an atom 3 300.

Insurance through competition car insurance (Martin.Lam@towergate.co.uk for a quote - really helpful chap).

25 years old.

Owned a few 250+ BHP cars.

SD&P cover/4000 annual mileage.

Around £750 for the year.

Daniel
[/quote]

Result :tu: CCI are doing some great deals for the club at the moment that's for sure :tu: