Guess I'm the First

Come here to say hello and get up to speed with how to make the most of the forum.
fieldl

Guess I'm the First

Post by fieldl » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:00 am

So I've just bought an Atom pretty much by accident.  I actually started out like many I suspect of buying a Caterham only my circumstances are somewhat different I suspect.

I live in Hong Kong and over the last year have been renting a Ginetta G20 to race in the China G20 Cup as part of the Pan Delta Circuit Hero series in Zhuhai, China.  There are not that many races a year at Zhuhai so I've been thinking about getting more race weekends elsewhere.  The challenges is imported cars have to exported and reimported to move between race tracks a costly and lengthy exercise. 

So I set out to buy a Chinese built car after talking to various people I tested a Qingdao Atom. 
Ok a few laps later I was sold :D

It's a Motorsport Spec car so has the Alcons, roll hoop, brake bias valve and probably more.
The Chinese cars are indeed very well built and use the Japanese K20 from the FD2 Integra.

Got a few things planned already:
1) Install the V8 side pods and install radiators - mainly to reduce the cooling distance and improve radiator capacity a little.  Its hot out here and it does run warm, not too hot but not far off.  This also means I can install a little weight at the front to get it to bite a bit more positive.  This is a low priority change.
2) Higher priority is to get rid of the current moulded seat.  I don't fit as I am pretty small therefore I rattle about and hold on to the wheel to compensate.  Needs to go.
3) Change the ECU, I need more info on whats on there right now but probably switch to Hondata and map up to 240+ where it should be.
4) Geo setup and alignment probably ok but needs checking.

I'll be out racing next season in Circuit Hero at Zhuhai and probably a few other series.  Will certainly be out a Guangzhou International Circuit but would like to get to Shanghai and Ordos (Mongolia) but I guess we will see.

The car has form, its been driven out here this season and used to qualify for the Macau GP Roadsport race.  Unfortunately it can't run in Macau but thats another story.
Attachments
58723_10151084549746956_852988376_n.jpg

benyeats

Re: Guess I'm the First

Post by benyeats » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:04 am

Congratulations on your purchase.

What has happened to the Chinese Atom factory ?  It has been very quiet on that front for a while now.

speedmachine

Post by speedmachine » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:09 am

congrats! hope you enjoy the car, it's rather exclusive out there...keep it in one part!
Atom 4 on its way, GR Yaris for the wet days

dreamscape

Post by dreamscape » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:34 am

Guess this is your car in action:

Drift HD ride with Tommy Chan - Ariel Atom at ZIC

btw. best / fastest heel & toe technique shifting ever  :tu:
AA 2 300, GT3 Mk1, Mercedes A 190

speedmachine

Post by speedmachine » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:40 am

that footwork is just insane...

Trigger

Post by Trigger » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:57 am

Thats cool !! Defo need more power to compete with the Fezza on the straight...but awesome under brakes as ever !!

What power are you running at present ?

T
Atom 4, Mclaren 720s, Audi Rs4, VW ID3.....

wattie

Post by wattie » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:05 pm

[quote="speedmachine"]
that footwork is just insane...
[/quote]
Yeah,  but wait till you see me on the dance floor Image

Oooh Ahhh shamoooooore!! Well worth attending the Atom Christmas bash for that alone!!

Good shot of what an ambidextrous chassis looks like too!

Back to the car, great stuff, fab driving and good to see the Atom in other shores.

Cheers Wattie

speedmachine

Post by speedmachine » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:08 pm

is such a ambidextrous chassis able to mount 2 steeringwheels and pedalboxes at the same time, looks like great fun to me, make it a drivinglessons car for the track..."now we go left at the first possibillity" :roflp:

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:10 pm

[quote="speedmachine"]
is such a ambidextrous chassis able to mount 2 steeringwheels and pedalboxes at the same time, looks like great fun to me, make it a drivinglessons car for the track..."now we go left at the first possibillity" :roflp:
[/quote]

My Atom 1 was originally used for track instruction and did have two brake pedals fitted at one point

PaulP

Post by PaulP » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:47 pm

You've had it how long and you can drive it like that  :H:

Impressive

fieldl

Post by fieldl » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:00 pm

Unfortunately thats not me ;)
Thats Tommy the previous driver who qualified to race in Macau Roadsports as part of the Macau GP in a couple of weeks in the car.  He's pretty handy.  I think all the chassis out here are ambidextrous.  The is one other Atom racing that I know of locally, he's the car to beat :)

I also need a spare set of wheels seemingly they are a bit unusual.  Importing into China is a pain though.

Richard Marler
Administrator

Post by Richard Marler » Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:27 am

Great to have you on board. I hope to be racing an Atom next year, so look forward to hearing your experiences. Can you not just get the wheels from the factory, or is that no longer in operation?
Atom 3 300. Surrey, England.

glyn430

Post by glyn430 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:15 am

Just watched the video, that looks like the most planted Atom i have ever seen, no drama no understeer oversteer, nothing and he didnt look like he was messing about, is that the standard suspension?
Glyn

wattie

Post by wattie » Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:22 am

Regardless of suspension it's probably massively due to the superbly skillful smooth driving..... I suspect.

Cheers Wattie

glyn430

Post by glyn430 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:24 am

[quote="wattie"]
Regardless of suspension it's probably massively due to the superbly skillful smooth driving..... I suspect.

Cheers Wattie
[/quote]

It must just be every other driver video i have ever seen must be of terrible drivers then Wattie!!!  ;D

Been on a trackday recently?

Glyn