Am I screwed?

Come here to say hello and get up to speed with how to make the most of the forum.
SaturnV

Am I screwed?

Post by SaturnV » Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:35 am

If anybody is a victim of the recent price reductions of the North American Atoms from TMI, it would be me.

I ordered my Atom 3 on September 15th 2009, TMI's 1-day anniversary sale. I get a fairly well-optioned Atom 3 245 (with carbon wings, Wilwood brakes, and Dymags) for about $74k.

I don't feel burned at all, as I am getting the car of my dreams, unused, in exactly the configuration and color I wanted (except for things I couldn't afford).

I expect to receive my car in the next couple of weeks. I don't feel burned, because the price reduction applies to a lower-level configuration that was not available at the time I ordered mine. I probable would have upgraded my Atom spec to a similar level regardless of what options where available at the time, and it would be a similar price to what I paid. TMI has treated me as a valued customer, and I am very happy with the purchase experience so far.

So what does the community think? Am I a victim of unfortunate timing? Will my Atom 3 immediately experience a depreciation greater than that of typical owners?

All I know is that everywhere I drive, I imagine what it will be like driving my new Atom. I feel like a geeky teenager looking forward to a date with a cheerleader. I'm currently on a road trip from the Seattle area to central California (about 1000 miles each way). Although it is winter here, I wonder what the Atom would be like on this trip, and look forward to the owner experience that most of the members of this forum have already experienced. You guys are lucky.

Regards,
Craig

Gage

Re: Am I screwed?

Post by Gage » Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:46 am

I don't think you should feel burned.  Enjoy your car.  People all over the country and the world dream about owning one.  It is going to get even more attention then you may imagine.   

I've driven an Atom in blowing snow, sleet, and rain.   Freezing rain is the worst.  Goggles or a helmet are essential.  Try to dress as if you are going skiing at 12,000 feet.. and you'll be fine and toasty, except for your nose.    Mittens are warmer then gloves.  Grin

I loved driving an Atom in any weather.    Sometimes a hot shower just felt much better afterward.

P.S.  In extreme conditions s good Rain Poncho or a large black trash bag with a hole for your head do absolute wonders... and something to cover over the front of your knees kind of like a dress or a lap blanket really contributes to keeping you warmer and drier.  It helps keep the wind from blowing up and into your core. 
Last edited by Gage on Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:38 am

[quote="Gage"]
I've driven an Atom in blowing snow, sleet, and rain.   Freezing rain is the worst.  Goggles or a helmet are essential.  Try to dress as if you are going skiing at 12,000 feet.. and you'll be fine and toasty, except for your nose.[/quote]

The one thing that gets me is pouring rain. It isn't all that bad until  the seat starts filling up with water (that's why they call them bucket seats).

The worst time I had was on a ferry, 5 miles from land. I was the first one on line (I'd just missed the previous one) and I was out on the foredeck in the rain. I wasn't allowed out of the car, and the waves were bad enough that the car was starting to slide around on the diamondplate ferry deck. The little chain across the end of the ferry wasn't going to be enough to keep the Atom from going over the edge. I had visions of my Atom Across America trip ending unexpectedly with me and the Atom being lost at sea :doh:

I didn't have an on-board camera back then, but here's a picture from a somewhat less heavy rain after AtomFest II:

Radowick

Post by Radowick » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:32 pm

[quote="Gage"]
It is going to get even more attention then you may imagine.  
[/quote]
That is the first thing (of many) that you can be assured of, lots & lots of attention.

[quote="SaturnV"]
If anybody is a victim........it would be me.
[/quote]
The thing you're a "victim" of is having to wait for delivery. 

[quote="Terry Kennedy"]
I was out on the foredeck in the rain. I wasn't allowed out of the car, and the waves were bad enough that the car was starting to slide around on the diamondplate ferry deck.
[/quote]That is stuff that nightmares are made of.