The money is down!

Come here to say hello and get up to speed with how to make the most of the forum.
Alex Brandon-Smith

The money is down!

Post by Alex Brandon-Smith » Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:51 pm

Hi guys, just thought I'd say a quick hello given I've just dropped the deposit to Atom UK and can't bloody wait! All along thought I was after a Caterham having driven them but then got to go out in the Atom a few weeks back and the noise of the supercharger has not left my head! A3 300 here we come...

So going down the spec list, I'm just questioning what I'm really going to need for the car in terms of mechanicals. Alcon pots front are a given, but, given I'm not a huge tinkerer (yet anyway!), what is the thoughts on the adjustable dampers and the 2 piece spring kit? I'm a decent weight (16st) which might be a factor but want to know how good the standard set up is? I'm pretty much set on the other options so just after some thoughts really! I will be doing a few track days but will spend most of it's time road bound.

Generally looking forward to becoming part of the group now. I haven't seen any Atoms down our way so hopefully it'll turn a few heads! :o ;D

Cheers!
310=325! That'll be the Presidential Remap kicking in... :vroom:

meladdo

Re: The money is down!

Post by meladdo » Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:24 pm

;D :tu: - you have chosen well!!!

Welcome to the waiting room :roflp:

wattie

Post by wattie » Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:54 pm

Congrats on the purchase, well worth the wait!

Lots of info on here re suspension etc. some say adjustable makes no difference...others disagree. Standard set up great for road in my experience.....don't know how it would do on track but I'm pretty certain it would hold up well.....especially if track visits are occasional.

Cheers Wattie

Alex Brandon-Smith

Post by Alex Brandon-Smith » Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:49 pm

Cheers Wattie, cheers meladdo. That was kinda along my thoughts as well. Why design such an awesome car if the suspension was a load of tosh? I guess the resale values will be higher with the extra kit but will it make that much difference to the saleability anyway? Gonna do some research and have a long think about shelling out 1500 quid for the adjustables.

Hedge

Post by Hedge » Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:45 pm

I'd buy one second hand and save a fortune were I you....
Cheers,
Hedge

Alex Brandon-Smith

Post by Alex Brandon-Smith » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:37 pm

Cheers Hedge...and I did think about that but most are coming in around 34-35 grand for the spec I'm after. Problem is, as I'm moving to France next year I want the ambidextrous chassis which, retro fitted is about £3k. Therefore by the time I add it, I figured I might as well just spec up a new one instead for not much more cash! Bit late now anyway...can't get me cash back!

Don't think I'll regret it somehow...

Steve Gibson
Administrator

Post by Steve Gibson » Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:11 pm

Alex, welcome.

If you're going to track the car, I'd say Alcons on the rear are required, too. I cooked and distorted a set of regular rear discs at Spa this year and have since decided to put Alcons on the back.

If it's a pure road use car, Alcons front only should be just fine.
First Atomised 2001.
Atom (165) > Atom 2 (220) > Atom 3 (300) > Atom 3.5 (310) > Atom 4 (350).
There is no cure.

Alex Brandon-Smith

Post by Alex Brandon-Smith » Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:49 pm

Cheers Steve, good to know. I've been toying with the idea of speccing a 245 to start with better components and then I'll think about upgrading to the supercharger in future i think. That way I can get the adjustable suspension and brakes sorted properly from the outset. This forum is awesome for helping with the decisions to follow! Think I'll be having an extensive chat with Tom though still! :)

FlyingTrotter

Post by FlyingTrotter » Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:11 pm

Welcome Alex - your idea of 245 and later charger is spot on as I see it - I bought a 245 with
alcons f and r and adjustable suspension and added the charger later - it really is a great way to evolve the car as you get used to it

meladdo

Post by meladdo » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:42 pm

[quote="FlyingTrotter"]
Welcome Alex - your idea of 245 and later charger is spot on as I see it - I bought a 245 with
alcons f and r and adjustable suspension and added the charger later - it really is a great way to evolve the car as you get used to it
[/quote]

Come to same conclusion myself - after playing with the spreadsheet for hours trying to get the price to match my budget..... ::) I will add the SC a year later on its first service :tu:

piersdaniell

Post by piersdaniell » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:32 pm

Well I got pretty much the road spec but was advised with 300 bhp the adjustables is probably the way to go. One they look pretty cool and two they do make a difference. I played with the front only for the car to lift up and squirm as I overtook a lorry... so I was then able to dial it in the otherway to get it just right. I am still getting used to them but like the idea I can change the car to my character of driving (slow and steady) whenever I like. In for a penny, in for a pound...